Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avalon Place Highway 7/8 Multi-Use Trail Crossing
This will make it much nicer getting from DTK to McLennan and vice versa!

Latest progress on Avalon Pl. 

November 1
Do we have an anticipated completion date? From how it looks here I'm guessing that's sometime in the spring.
(11-01-2023, 08:47 PM)KevinL Wrote: Do we have an anticipated completion date? From how it looks here I'm guessing that's sometime in the spring.

Construction completion this winter. Final asphalt, summer '24. Information Sheet (PDF)
I wonder if the bridge span install will be early winter or late; I suppose it depends on how the piers are coming along.
(11-02-2023, 11:41 AM)KevinL Wrote: I wonder if the bridge span install will be early winter or late; I suppose it depends on how the piers are coming along.

I didn't visit it yesterday, but the Chandler side seems to be not quite as far along as the Avalon side, so I would expect more late winter, but I don't know.

Got a look at the Strasburg/Chandler side, it's definitely not as far along. Perhaps the curve in the middle of its ramp is the sticky part.

[Image: l3BOC2P.jpg]

[Image: 3fmnITm.jpg]
(11-02-2023, 10:03 AM)Acitta Wrote:
(11-01-2023, 08:47 PM)KevinL Wrote: Do we have an anticipated completion date? From how it looks here I'm guessing that's sometime in the spring.

Construction completion this winter. Final asphalt, summer '24. Information Sheet (PDF)

Interesting. The notification that I got from the region last year said it would be complete by December 2023. It's not even close. I live in the Greenbrook area.

"The contractor plans to commence this work around early October (this would have been 2022) this year and complete the work by December 2023."
(Im)patiently waiting for this one as it will be a daily route to work cycling once complete. Considering the bridge is a single span, I am assuming to limit impacts on 7/8 below the bridge section should be relatively fast as pre-fab spans of some sort?
The bridge span will be built in advance (they'll take over the GRT parking lot along Chandler) then, presumably overnight on a weekend, move it into place in one move. That probably won't happen until the new year, however.
Gazing wistfully into the distance looking ahead to this bridge while biking through the unplowed shoulder of Homer Watson between Sterling and Ottawa today. Will fix an awful gap in the network in a big way.
While going by on the #3 bus on Chandler, progress seems to have stalled on that side. I haven't checked out the Avalon Place side in a couple of months.

(01-11-2024, 12:31 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Gazing wistfully into the distance looking ahead to this bridge while biking through the unplowed shoulder of Homer Watson between Sterling and Ottawa today. Will fix an awful gap in the network in a big way.

I think the bridge serves other purposes...mostly just to get transit coverage numbers to meet OKRs...

But if we consider only the cycling network, this bridge is an epic waste of money. If we had even an iota of planning and fiscal sense, we could reconfigure Homer Watson north of Ottawa into a two lane road, and we'd have a free three lane wide bike path for our troubles. Then we could spend the 10 million or so we're dumping into an unnecessary bridge into actually expanding the cycling network.

This is why I call people who claim to be fiscal conservatives absolute frauds, because they'd be extremely angry about such a fiscally responsible plan.
(01-11-2024, 02:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-11-2024, 12:31 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Gazing wistfully into the distance looking ahead to this bridge while biking through the unplowed shoulder of Homer Watson between Sterling and Ottawa today. Will fix an awful gap in the network in a big way.

I think the bridge serves other purposes...mostly just to get transit coverage numbers to meet OKRs...

But if we consider only the cycling network, this bridge is an epic waste of money. If we had even an iota of planning and fiscal sense, we could reconfigure Homer Watson north of Ottawa into a two lane road, and we'd have a free three lane wide bike path for our troubles. Then we could spend the 10 million or so we're dumping into an unnecessary bridge into actually expanding the cycling network.

This is why I call people who claim to be fiscal conservatives absolute frauds, because they'd be extremely angry about such a fiscally responsible plan.
Interestingly enough, despite all the city of Kitchener has done for the cycling network, the worst section of Homer Watson is actually under its jurisdiction and is nit a regional road.

Attached Files Image(s)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »