Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Avalon Place Highway 7/8 Multi-Use Trail Crossing
The "Draft Study Design Report" for the 7/8 MUT crossing between Chandler and Avalon is available online.

They apparently considered an underpass at Borden Creek between Concordia Park and Chandler Park as an alternative, but this really wouldn't have fulfilled the purpose (it's right next to the Westmount crossing, I think they would be better to build an MUT from the Concordia Park trail to Ottawa St under the existing crossing; actually, they should plan to do that regardless in my opinion).

There are 3 potential alignments for the pedestrian bridge being considered:

I would prefer 1B or 2, the ramp orientation for 1 doesn't look very convenient.

Preliminary design alternatives are currently underway, with the first public consultation to be held in Fall 2017. The timeline suggests the Final ESR/Notice of Completion will be finished in Fall/Winter.

If they built all the crossings, Westmount, Homer-Watson, this one, (and even an underpass at the creek), then the 7/8 Highway might no longer serve as a barrier within that neighbourhood.  But it's certainly not justified with the car oriented spread out design of the existing area.

Still it will be very good to have a possible crossing.  An of the designs look reasonable to me, I am more concerned about enabling wayfinding and good safe connections to the overpass.  Of course, that's all out of scope for the project, so I have my doubts.
1B is my preferred.  But I'd suggest that on that north side, it have the ramp going to the west, and a staircase going to the east to better serve the apartment buildings.
Google Maps doesn't show an MUT in the area on either sides - is Google Maps just not up to date or is the idea that in future there will be an MUT on both sides?

(07-25-2017, 12:32 PM)Canard Wrote: Google Maps doesn't show an MUT in the area on either sides - is Google Maps just not up to date or is the idea that in future there will be an MUT on both sides?

I think the reference to an MUT is just that the bridge itself will be a multi-use "trail". There are no improvements to the existing streets on either side of the crossing planned.
Derp - of course, that makes sense. Thanks!
There is the advantage of generally low traffic on the streets; on Avalon especially, as that entire neighbourhood is a curious enclave where all vehicle access is through Stirling at Greenbrook.

I'll have to go check it out someday, I don't think I've ever been there!

I always am amazed on this forum how everyone seems to know every single road in Waterloo Region like the back of their hand - I'm constantly discovering new areas I didn't know existed!
In my case, that was my neighbourhood for about a decade as a kid. Now I live on the Strasburg side of things...
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, but I didn't find anything.

Anyway, I got a letter yesterday from the ROW about a public consultation regarding a proposal for a crossing over highway 7/8 between Chandler Drive and Avalon Place. I live closer to Greenbrook/Stirling area, but for sure close enough to be useful to anyone in this area. (Basically why take a 8 minute drive when a 10 minute walk will do to grab something at Zehrs or Rona) I doubt it would be beneficial to anyone on Chandler area unless they have friends or really want to go to that Short Stop that's up the road, even though one exists close to Chandler.

Here is the link:

http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/Hwy78StudyDesign/

Anyway, I really hope that this is a go, would be nice to have access to that area without a car...
I think Highlander posted it here:

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...4#pid39844
Ah thanks....didn't think to look there. Mods can delete if they want...
This definitely deserves its own thread.
I've moved the relevant posts here!

(07-25-2017, 03:24 PM)jeffster Wrote: I doubt it would be beneficial to anyone on Chandler area unless they have friends or really want to go to that Short Stop that's up the road, even though one exists close to Chandler.

Au contraire! It makes for a much more pleasant trip towards Downtown, as you can avoid the busy mess of Homer Watson/Ottawa.
(07-25-2017, 03:39 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(07-25-2017, 03:24 PM)jeffster Wrote: I doubt it would be beneficial to anyone on Chandler area unless they have friends or really want to go to that Short Stop that's up the road, even though one exists close to Chandler.

Au contraire! It makes for a much more pleasant trip towards Downtown, as you can avoid the busy mess of Homer Watson/Ottawa.

You know what? I didn't even think about that. I lived on Mowat (the townhouses along Ottawa) while in high school, and went to Cameron Heights. It would have been a shorter walk. (Ottawa to Mill to Stirling)

Let's get this done.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »