Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambridge Mill Hotel | 38 & 24 fl | Proposed
Good to hear. I imagine the majority of no votes were about height/traffic/typical Complainbridge stuff? If the majority voted no, they have no right being a councilor in a city/region as important as ours.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/kitchener/...0.amp.html

CTV is reporting that it is a 28 storey hotel and 37 storey condo tower. If we can confirm, perhaps we could update the thread title?
Looks absolutely stunning, glad to see this get approval.
Am I the only one who is sceptical about the market for a condo or a hotel of this scale in Galt?
(10-20-2021, 11:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Am I the only one who is sceptical about the market for a condo or a hotel of this scale in Galt?

I was thinking the same, specifically about the hotel. However, I would assume that this would be filled up on most weekends with wedding guests as they will likely also be expanding their wedding and event capacity with this project.
(10-20-2021, 11:57 AM)CP42 Wrote:
(10-20-2021, 11:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Am I the only one who is sceptical about the market for a condo or a hotel of this scale in Galt?

I was thinking the same, specifically about the hotel. However, I would assume that this would be filled up on most weekends with wedding guests as they will likely also be expanding their wedding and event capacity with this project.

I was going to say something similar: given the project proponents I think they have a pretty clear sight line to the market demand for even just the wedding event opportunity and are doing something right given the amount their multiple high-value wedding/event properties continue to thrive.

Also a not insignificant market pressure for WR housing generally that I am sure would convince some KW buyers to look a little southward.
This is huge for cambridge. Fantastic that it got approved, was very worried it would get shot down due to height.

Yay for approval! Time to build a nice skyline for Cambridge.
(10-20-2021, 07:09 AM)ac3r Wrote: Good to hear. I imagine the majority of no votes were about height/traffic/typical Complainbridge stuff? If the majority voted no, they have no right being a councilor in a city/region as important as ours.

The no votes were all because of the height.
CBC has a story on it: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.6217621

This particular quote stuck out to me:

Quote:"I don't [aspire] to be another Toronto or another London or another Niagara Falls, I want to preserve our character of this community," said Coun. Ermeta.

What does that even mean? Another London? How do you aspire to be "another London" lol? There is nothing in London, we are the bigger and more unique region already. Or Niagara Falls? The Grand River is not the Niagara Falls. And comparing us to Toronto is - I am going to guess - because it's a tall building. Typical. They talk about preserving the character of Cambridge but, well, Cambridge is known for its homeless and drug addicts...not much else.

Not mentioned in the CTV link is that the developer is agreeing to "kick in" 2000 dollars per unit for affordable housing in the city as the project itself has no affordable units.
(10-20-2021, 06:16 PM)ac3r Wrote: CBC has a story on it: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.6217621

This particular quote stuck out to me:

Quote:"I don't [aspire] to be another Toronto or another London or another Niagara Falls, I want to preserve our character of this community," said Coun. Ermeta.

What does that even mean? Another London? How do you aspire to be "another London" lol? There is nothing in London, we are the bigger and more unique region already. Or Niagara Falls? The Grand River is not the Niagara Falls. And comparing us to Toronto is - I am going to guess - because it's a tall building. Typical. They talk about preserving the character of Cambridge but, well, Cambridge is known for its homeless and drug addicts.

Not mentioned in the CTV link is that the developer is agreeing to "kick in" 2000 dollars per unit for affordable housing in the city as the project itself has no affordable units.

I have to assume that the councillor meant that new builds should somehow match the character of Cambridge, in ways that London and Niagara Falls and Toronto buildings theoretically* match their own cities.

*this is a pretty hot take, especially for London and Niagara Falls  Confused
(10-20-2021, 06:34 PM)bravado Wrote: I have to assume that the councillor meant that new builds should somehow match the character of Cambridge, in ways that London and Niagara Falls and Toronto buildings theoretically* match their own cities.

*this is a pretty hot take, especially for London and Niagara Falls  Confused

Probably! But if this councilor knew anything about their own city, they'd know Cambridge is and always has been a mix of old and new. There are beautiful old cut stone buildings that stand next to modernist buildings that stand next to contemporary buildings. Architecturally speaking, Cambridge is a beautiful city because of that. Some buildings - like the UW School of Architecture or the Idea Exchange in Galt - even blend both historical buildings with contemporary additions. That's what makes Cambridge unique and having these two really nice looking towers beside Cambridge Mill, along the banks of the Grand River, will look spectacular.

I have no idea who any of these councilors are but I'm going to take a wild guess and assume they're boomers who think they're still living in the mid 20th century, who need to preserve the "character" of the city. Which means nothing tall whatsoever, even though there are all sorts of modern buildings like the Hespeler Library or the Hamilton Family Theatre. I'm glad this got approved.
This is a big deal for Galt. Good for them. They need this.

As for the demand, we'll see. But they're swinging for the fences. Good for them.

What's the typical cost to build affordable units? I doubt that anyone could build much of anything for $506,000 (253 units x 2000).  I would be much happier if each new development (and any major renovations to existing ones) were to provide 20% affordable housing units.  Or, perhaps suggest that any request of density increases (adding more floors than zoning allows etc) would require a proportionate addition of affordable units in those buildings. You want to go up 10 more floors than the 10 that are zoned for there? Fine, but half of those floors must be affordable units. You don't want to add affordable housing to your project, fine, stick to the zoning.

Keep this up until there is no more housing crisis in the Region.
(10-22-2021, 12:34 AM)nms Wrote: What's the typical cost to build affordable units? I doubt that anyone could build much of anything for $506,000 (253 units x 2000).  I would be much happier if each new development (and any major renovations to existing ones) were to provide 20% affordable housing units.  Or, perhaps suggest that any request of density increases (adding more floors than zoning allows etc) would require a proportionate addition of affordable units in those buildings. You want to go up 10 more floors than the 10 that are zoned for there? Fine, but half of those floors must be affordable units. You don't want to add affordable housing to your project, fine, stick to the zoning.

Keep this up until there is no more housing crisis in the Region.

All this would do is raise the price of "non-affordable units" and hurt the majority of home buyers. 

We don't make grocery stores sell a set percentage of the food at insane discounts.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »