Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambridge Mill Hotel | 38 & 24 fl | Proposed
Cambridge Mill Hotel and Residences
Pearle Hospitality Inc.
https://www.cambridgemillhotelandresidences.ca
Some details:
https://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story...-business/

Current renders:

[Image: f1ckTpV.jpg]

[Image: SZ7tFb0.jpg]

Original story, from 2015, below:

Cambridge Mill owners propose 12-storey hotel, condo combo in Galt
http://www.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story/...o-in-galt/

[Image: Hotel___Content.jpg]

Quote:CAMBRIDGE – Yet another highrise development could be taking shape on the Galt riverfront.

Pearle Hospitality, formerly the Landmark Group (owner of the Cambridge Mill), is set to make good on its promise to build a new hotel in downtown Galt.

Even prior to the opening of the Cambridge Mill in 2011, company officials purchased the vacant property with the intent on building a boutique hotel on site.

The proposal, to be officially unveiled during a general committee of council this coming Monday (Jan. 26), calls for a 12-storey structure to be built at 130 Water St. N. It would house 114 condominium units and 90 hotel suites, as well as banquet facilities, meeting rooms, a penthouse pool and gym.

The project would also include two levels of underground parking able to accommodate 316 vehicles.

The multi-million dollar development will not be without its challenges. It would be built on a 1.5-acre site, sandwiched between Waterscape’s 11-storey condominium tower currently under construction, and the Cambridge Mill restaurant.

The Pearle site is known to be contaminated with coal tar, which will have to be remediated to the satisfaction of the Ministry of the Environment before construction can begin.

“Before we could consider issuing a building permit, they will have to obtain a Record of Site Condition from the ministry,” explains city planner Bryan Cooper.

“We know everything about this site,” Pearle’s planner, Brian Blackmere, tells the Times. “This is where all the coal tar pooled from the old gas plant that was once on that site.”

Blackmere said Pearle will be spending $3.5 to $4 million to clean up the site, and that Waterloo Region has stepped up and will be accepting some of the least contaminated soil at its landfill.

“That will provide us with a significant savings on shipping the contaminated soil to Sarnia,” he said.

Blackmere said the region has also agreed to reduce tipping fees on the project, which will significantly reduce remediation costs.

There is also the matter of the proposed development’s height. While neighbouring Waterscape is allowed to build its 11-storey building, the height restriction on the Pearle property is 21 metres.

“That’s about six or seven floors,” Cooper said.

Blackmere said the new hotel would rise no higher than the neighbouring Waterscape tower and the added height is needed to help offset the remediation costs of the contaminated site. For that to happen, the city would need to amend the zoning on the site.

“One of the concerns being raised by people is the building’s height blocking the view of the steeples in downtown,” he said.

“It really wouldn’t matter whether it’s six or 12 storeys high, that view is going to be blocked.”

Blackmere said he would have preferred to go higher than the proposed 12 storeys, “but Waterscape has really set the benchmark for that area.”

As the property is located within the Galt core area, no planning fees and no development charges are required as part of the city’s financial incentive package. The developer may also qualify for a tax increment grant.

Elaine Brunn Shaw, city director of policy planning, said a hotel in the Galt core would be of real benefit to the city, as it would provide accommodation for people attending weddings at Cambridge Mill, shows at Dunfield Theatre and core area events.

Blackmere said the building is being designed to reflect the character of the Galt core, and is vaguely reminiscent of one of CP’s grand hotels.

Before the city considers the project, staff want to get comments from the Grand River Conservation Authority to see what issues it might have. Consultations will also take place with a number of other government bodies including Waterloo Region, school boards, hydro and others.

Cooper said even though the project is being built on the waterfront, public access to the river would be maintained.

“We want to do everything we can to encourage use of the waterfront,” Blackmere said.

The developer also hopes to get permission to eliminate the required setback from GRCA floodwall, which would allow them to build the proposed two-storey parking garage into the earth berm. They also are proposing to re-landscape part of the GRCA property.

I don't know how they're going to put underground parking there; it's way too close to the river.

There's a photo on the article page; looks ugly as sin to me, no matter what the height.

(01-23-2015, 07:58 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: I don't know how they're going to put underground parking there; it's way too close to the river.

You make it sound like this is physically impossible, which it is not. They could put parking in the river if they wanted. It is just that costs go up with proximity to water.
This is very exciting, and would be of great benefit the the Galt area. I would need to see more renders of the project but I am glad to see that it is not just a cube.

Hope we hear more news related to this project once the Jan 26 council meeting has passed. After that I will start a thread for the project.
[Image: Hotel___Content.jpg]

Almost looks like an attempt to knock off a Chateau Laurier type look

That being said, increased hotel and residential in downtown Galt is a good thing.
A deliberate attempt; they even mention that in the Times article.

It looks like a design that could go really wrong depending on the materials and finishes used, kind of like the apartment buildings proposed for the site south of Concession. Still, a hotel would be a natural fit with the banquet hall right next door and the theatres and university campus not far away.
(01-24-2015, 03:53 PM)Spokes Wrote: [Image: Hotel___Content.jpg]

That being said, increased hotel and residential in downtown Galt is a good thing.
The main difference? Instead of being true stone (i.e. limestone), it will probably be a taupe EIFS/stucco monster with some brick "stone" on the first 3 floors...and copper or slate roof? Forget it.

I hope they prove me wrong.
In that lies the problem. I think the design could be excellent if the right materials were used. Trying to replicate the look of older architectural style with newer and cheaper materials (while trying to make it genuine) likely rarely successful.

(01-25-2015, 11:58 AM)rangersfan Wrote: In that lies the problem. I think the design could be excellent if the right materials were used. Trying to replicate the look of older architectural style with newer and cheaper materials (while trying to make it genuine) likely rarely successful.

Most of the downtown of the "old Galt" (Cambridge) is very much in need of redevelopment and increased density. This should be a positive step in the much needed "new Galt" (Cambridge).
(01-24-2015, 09:54 AM)rangersfan Wrote: This is very exciting, and would be of great benefit the the Galt area. I would need to see more renders of the project but I am glad to see that it is not just a cube.

Hope we hear more news related to this project once the Jan 26 council meeting has passed. After that I will start a thread for the project.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5278...tel-tower/
This one goes to council next week.
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/567178...d-gets-nod
People sure love complaining.
(01-25-2015, 12:21 AM)The85 Wrote:
(01-24-2015, 03:53 PM)Spokes Wrote: [Image: Hotel___Content.jpg]

The main difference? Instead of being true stone (i.e. limestone), it will probably be a taupe EIFS/stucco monster with some brick "stone" on the first 3 floors...and copper or slate roof? Forget it.

I hope they prove me wrong.

Certainly not slate and more likely steel than copper.  The design teeters perilously close to what is known in Spanish as "feoclassico".
(06-10-2015, 11:52 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: People sure love complaining.

My favourite line is the author's: "...the perceived loss of Galt's church-steeple innocence." That's a classic: "church-steepler innocence," I have to remember that one.

(01-25-2015, 11:58 AM)rangersfan Wrote: In that lies the problem. I think the design could be excellent if the right materials were used. Trying to replicate the look of older architectural style with newer and cheaper materials (while trying to make it genuine) likely rarely successful.

All you have to do is visit the Cambridge Mill restaurant... I hardly think they are going to build this thing out of cheap materials if they are at all consistent with what they've already built. I was at a wedding there recently, and I was struck by the craftsmanship and materials used in the exterior, the chapel situated just outside, as well as the interior - again, if this new development is in keeping with what they've already done it's going to be spectacular. The community should be welcoming it!
I agree with Owen. I don't get to Galt very often, but that stretch along the river is gorgeous and that includes old and new. This will make me decide to go down more often.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »