Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours
That is probably one of the most walk-able places in Cambridge with a few modifications. Multiple schools, grocery stores, parks and the leisure centre all within 2km. Most of the traffic generated would be heading to hwy 24 and have little impact on the Queen/Guelph Ave intersection, the only real place constrained for traffic.

If the proposed pedestrian/cycle bridge between over the 401 at the smart centres took place you would have pretty good cycle access to Galt.

Agreed on the above ^ Since Len’s Mills moved out +2 years back, this building has been begging for reuse. The City is also building a MUT from this site to Guelph Ave, along the speed river into Downtown. 

This proposal isn’t too tall, no dizzying amount of units, and it fits in really well with the area.

I honestly thought the whole property was within floodplain, so I never thought anything would ever happen to this site.

The article from the record is exhausting, the person complaining isn’t even from the area originally. Not that being born in a different region doesn’t give him the right to complain, but as someone who was born and raised here, this is a welcome addition to the neighbourhood and area. The article writer also states at the bottom that they saw the person complaining on Facebook, and reached out to write the article? How one-sided, but that’s the Record for you.
Cambridge Council will be considering a request for a MZO for the property next to the old Len's Mills building at their April 27 meeting. The developer is proposing to build 1,500 to 1,800 units. Here is the link for the agenda, the report starts on page 491: Council Agenda
(04-25-2021, 06:03 PM)mgregorasz Wrote: Cambridge Council will be considering a request for a MZO for the property next to the old Len's Mills building at their April 27 meeting. The developer is proposing to build 1,500 to 1,800 units. Here is the link for the agenda, the report starts on page 491: Council Agenda

That is actually a huge number, right?
(04-25-2021, 07:13 PM)plam Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 06:03 PM)mgregorasz Wrote: Cambridge Council will be considering a request for a MZO for the property next to the old Len's Mills building at their April 27 meeting. The developer is proposing to build 1,500 to 1,800 units. Here is the link for the agenda, the report starts on page 491: Council Agenda

That is actually a huge number, right?

It's huge. That would be like adding 3,000 - 4,500 people in that area, give or take. But it's huge. I'd imagine this is very long term.

I like that the provincial government is willing to grant MZOs, but if Cambridge Council (or indeed any city council) wants more development, they should just loosen zoning and make it easier for everyone, instead of favouring large developers that the provincial government will intervene on behalf of.
What's with the MZO's lately? It seems they generally come when the PC's have a developer friend wanting to line their pockets and go around the municipalities, but to see the city request them seems odd (also, recently Cambridge with the warehouse in Blair). Can't they just change the zoning themselves without getting the province involved?

(04-25-2021, 08:54 PM)timio Wrote: What's with the MZO's lately? It seems they generally come when the PC's have a developer friend wanting to line their pockets and go around the municipalities, but to see the city request them seems odd (also, recently Cambridge with the warehouse in Blair). Can't they just change the zoning themselves without getting the province involved?

That was my thinking...kind of a strange request actually.
(04-25-2021, 08:54 PM)timio Wrote: What's with the MZO's lately? It seems they generally come when the PC's have a developer friend wanting to line their pockets and go around the municipalities, but to see the city request them seems odd (also, recently Cambridge with the warehouse in Blair). Can't they just change the zoning themselves without getting the province involved?

The city has to request the MZO, so it's all down to the Cambridge council.
(04-25-2021, 09:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

The city has to request the MZO, so it's all down to the Cambridge council.

That doesn’t answer the question. An MZO overrides zoning, which is set by City council. So why can’t council just change the zoning? It would be like me asking the City to expropriate my house when I want to move rather than just hiring a realtor.
(04-26-2021, 08:36 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 09:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The city has to request the MZO, so it's all down to the Cambridge council.

That doesn’t answer the question. An MZO overrides zoning, which is set by City council. So why can’t council just change the zoning? It would be like me asking the City to expropriate my house when I want to move rather than just hiring a realtor.

Using an MZO allows the city to shortcut the process and avoid hearings etc.
Yeah, this is a lot more straight forward than changing entire zoning rules for a neighbourhood. An MZO can skip all the consultation and public debate. Still a bit unusual Cambridge would be doing this, since they aren't very pro-development, but then again there's that MZO that was recently approved for that absolutely colossal GTA size development at SmartCentres Cambridge.
(04-07-2021, 12:47 PM)KevinL Wrote: Anyone know the likely client for this 'distribution'? I know Amazon took over an existing warehouse in the Maple Grove area recently, but this might be more purpose-built if it's for them.

"Amazon Delivery" took over a warehouse on Maple Grove as well as one on Shirley Dr in Kitchener.  This is the branch of Amazon responsible for delivery of Amazon (and other third party) products.  UPS & FedEx were responsible for 100% of Amazon deliveries when the company started.  Both companies realized that Bezo's end game was be his own delivery provider, so FedEx stopped delivering for them to try to slow them down... UPS never did.  Now Amazon primarily uses small delivery companies and/or gig economy workers.  That what "Amazon Delivery" is.

"Amazon Fulfillment" is the warehousing locations where the items are picked and packaged to be sent to "Amazon Delivery" locations.  [There are 5 or so huge Amazon Fulfilment warehouses around Winston Churchill / Steeles area in Mississauga].

My unskilled guess is this new location will be Amazon Fulfilment.

Coke

(04-26-2021, 09:42 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 08:36 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: That doesn’t answer the question. An MZO overrides zoning, which is set by City council. So why can’t council just change the zoning? It would be like me asking the City to expropriate my house when I want to move rather than just hiring a realtor.

Using an MZO allows the city to shortcut the process and avoid hearings etc.

Thanks, I think I understand now.

I consider it bogus, in that the process exists for a reason (even if sometimes the wrong people get all the attention; see Mill St. development), but at least I understand.

Everything I have read about the old Lens Mill Textile Factory conversation, says a Max of 140 condo apartment units. Pretty big difference traffic wise from 1,500-1,800 units. I’m not able to pull up the council agenda, keeps timing out, but more info on 211-215 Queen St W is here: https://www.cambridge.ca/en/build-invest...tions.aspx

The applicant is proposing to redevelop the existing textile factory with a maximum of 140 condominium apartment uses and approximately 1,900 square metres (20,451ft²) of ground floor commercial uses, redevelop the existing one-storey buildings for approximately 1,430 square metres (15,392.39ft²) of commercial uses, construct a 4 storey residential building with approximately 20 residential units and a 8 storey residential building with approximately 110 residential units. The proposed development also includes a waterfront trail development and 260 parking spaces”
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »