Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
8 Queen | 3 fl | Complete
I would like to see more buildings trying to mimic the characteristic S. Ontario brick - either red or yellow. There are some new examples of it, but it never quite looks right. Possibly the mortar they use? One of my favourite corners in Southern Ontario is the corner in Clinton, ON bookended by the library and town hall, both with excellent examples of each type of brick.

Does anyone know why those particular bricks are so prevalent? I imagine they are probably all sources from two brickworks, or perhaps most brick in Ontario comes from two geological formations?

Red brick is pretty traditional and prevalent almost everywhere. Yellow (buff) brick of the sort that you see in SW Ontario is due to the high lime content of the local clays, I believe I read somewhere once.

Does anyone else remember the old brickworks that used to be down on Heiman St between Mill and Highland in Kitchener (where Charles Best Pl is now)? It operated into the 1960s, at least. I remember as a kid we'd sometimes go over there to "explore", but it was always slightly forbidden territory.
(05-29-2016, 11:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'd agree wrt to the brown brick of Market Square, and Bank of Montreal if that's the "next to" building you mean. ... Speaking of the Bank of Montreal building, it is the one I would put ahead of even Market Square as needing exterior renovation and a complete recladding.  It is truly awful!

Yes, the BoM building. Not only is the brick hue unpleasant, but the architectural style is what I would describe as brick brutalism. Large expanses of ugly brick walls with little or no windows. E.g.

https://goo.gl/maps/Mnm4tKEoeeT2
(05-29-2016, 08:33 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-29-2016, 12:52 AM)MacBerry Wrote: "Yous" or "Youse" guys were good listeners ... painful to my ears to hear that

(05-29-2016, 07:52 AM)LesPio Wrote: This a great example of where the finished product looks better than the initial drawings!

I'm not thrilled with the colour of the brick, although it goes well with the new glass front.  I really like the details in in the brickwork, however, and the manufactured limestone bits are terrific.  I'll be interested to see if they can make Goudies Lane more inviting with the lighting on that side of the building and whatever other decorative details they have planned.

Interesting, because I Love it!  To each their own I guess.

Project looks fantastic
A wonderful re-purposing of that anchor building, well-executed inside and out.

The earlier EIFS re-purposing will not be missed, by me at least, but sculpted styrofoam nostalgists can still find many examples of the oeuvre by looking skyward in Northdale.
(05-30-2016, 09:40 AM)eizenstriet Wrote: A wonderful re-purposing of that anchor building, well-executed inside and out.

The earlier EIFS re-purposing will not be missed, by me at least, but sculpted styrofoam nostalgists can still find many examples of the oeuvre by looking skyward in Northdale.

Amen to that !!
Was there talk of adding extra height later on, or am I remembering this wrong?

(05-30-2016, 10:49 AM)Spokes Wrote: Was there talk of adding extra height later on, or am I remembering this wrong?

Nothing that I can recall, and given the bracing needed just for the half third floor addition, I'd think it most unlikely.
(05-29-2016, 01:30 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(05-29-2016, 11:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'd agree wrt to the brown brick of Market Square, and Bank of Montreal if that's the "next to" building you mean. ... Speaking of the Bank of Montreal building, it is the one I would put ahead of even Market Square as needing exterior renovation and a complete recladding.  It is truly awful!

Yes, the BoM building. Not only is the brick hue unpleasant, but the architectural style is what I would describe as brick brutalism. Large expanses of ugly brick walls with little or no windows. E.g.

https://goo.gl/maps/Mnm4tKEoeeT2

Reminds me of every mall built in 1975-1985. i.e. Downtown Chatham Centre, in Chatham.
Looking very much finished now, including nice signage.

That is beautiful.
I think that actually looks very nice.
Very nice.  I hope it inspires others to do similar projects downtown.

(06-10-2016, 11:22 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Looking very much finished now, including nice signage.

Two Thumbs up for sure.. Great job !
Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the inside
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »