Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
8 Queen | 3 fl | Complete
8 Queen
8 Queen St. North, Kitchener
Developer: 

[Image: 1.jpg]

Quote:
8 Queen is an exciting opportunity for a company to secure a rare block of Brick & Beam space in the core.

The original three floors are gorgeous Brick & Beam space with hardwood floors, exposed brick, posts & ductwork; five floors of Class A new construction can be added above the original three stories, creating a new tower in Kitchener’s skyline. The tower’s design can be influenced & branded by a large user.

Municipal parking garage at Duke and Ontario is attached to the site, with an interior entrance from the parking garage to the building. Additionally, multiple parking options exist in the area. The site has great walkability, steps to King Street, and the Duke Street Food Block, and lots of transit options.

The site has access to fibre, cable and phone lines. Large power capacity is ideal for firms with IT requirements.

(05-20-2015, 05:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Stay tuned for news next month about the sale and renovation of the Bramante building (former Goudies - 8 Queen St N).  Apparently, it will not become part of an expanded THEMUSEUM.  The planned renovations will include replacement of the stucco façade (hooray!).

That's a long-awaited a development.  And I do mean long! Big Grin 

Thanks for the (anticipated) good news ...
(05-20-2015, 10:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-20-2015, 05:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Stay tuned for news next month about the sale and renovation of the Bramante building (former Goudies - 8 Queen St N).  Apparently, it will not become part of an expanded THEMUSEUM.  The planned renovations will include replacement of the stucco façade (hooray!).

That's a long-awaited a development.  And I do mean long! Big Grin 

Thanks for the (anticipated) good news ...

I just hope I'm correct - sometimes, when you sit in a certain Downtown coffee shop pretending to read a newspaper while actually eavesdropping on the real estate conversation taking place at the next table, you can get things wrong.  [Image: wink.gif]

Hold the hoorays until we know it's not being replaced with more stucco...

Very exciting.  Anyone know what's inside right now, and what the interior is like?
(05-21-2015, 06:50 AM)Spokes Wrote:

Very exciting.  Anyone know what's inside right now, and what the interior is like?

http://www.bramante.com/
Some existing stucco may well disappear from Downtown - the plan for renovating 8 Queen St N (Bramante - former Goudies Dept Store) is moving forward:

CTV Kitchener
Published Monday, June 1, 2015 3:37PM EDT  

A downtown Kitchener building will soon be transformed into a tech office space and possibly a boutique retailer.

It’s the original Goudies department store and it will be the last brick and beam located in the downtown core.

Brick by Brick Developments and Voisin Capital bought the property at 8 Queen Street North.

“We’re going to start construction as of tomorrow and we’re going to work non-stop for the next six months. We’re hoping to have tenants in here in January,” says Steve Voisin, president of Voisin Development.

The developers will be renovating the 40,000 square foot structure.  They hope to incorporate memories of Goudies throughout the building and are welcoming input from the public.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/goudies-depa...-1.2401242

[Image: 1.jpg]
Reminds me a bit of what was done with the Dineen building in Toronto

[Image: dineen-2.jpg]
(06-01-2015, 09:29 PM)Lens Wrote: [Image: 1.jpg]

Looks very good.  I'd like to see a similar type of addition go on top of the Stantec office on Frederick St someday. 

Not quite loving it, but not hating it, either.  It's certainly better than what's there now.
(06-02-2015, 11:20 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Not quite loving it, but not hating it, either.  It's certainly better than what's there now.

All right, maybe it's not so bad after all.  I figured out what was bothering me about it: it was that the top floor glass looked too big, too massive, wider than the rest of the building.  And it's because whoever did the rendering doesn't understand natural perspective, so there is no vertical perspective at all, even though the building is being viewed from the street level.

A bit of adjustment makes it look much more reasonable to me:
[Image: HlJLY2s.jpg]

Picking nits, I know, sorry ...
(06-01-2015, 10:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote:

Looks very good.  I'd like to see a similar type of addition go on top of the Stantec office on Frederick St someday. 

Good looking project on Queen that doesn't change the landscape too much.

I too would like to see something, anything done with the Stantec office, but more so Market Square as a whole.  DREAM needs to think long and hard about what it's plans for that place are.  Sadly, I think it's to just sit on it.

Hopefully this will make someone want to clean up the place next door as well. That one could be so beautiful with the right touch.
(06-04-2015, 01:08 AM)notmyfriends Wrote: Hopefully this will make someone want to clean up the place next door as well.  That one could be so beautiful with the right touch.

???  Do you mean the old Conservatory?  It's in pretty good shape as it is. 
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »