Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Hospitals in KW
Well that's obviously not the connection I was drawing. We all want a new hospital to be very central because transportation matters, but people's health matters more.

The sites they've chosen to look at are better than nothing.

(05-10-2024, 07:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: It's hard to believe that word won't leak out about the two sites, although the Record will play along and keep quiet.  Since the landowners presumably know why their land is of interest, it seems hard to justify the secrecy for reasons of "commercial confidentiality", unless they're concerned that a competing buyer will swoop in and jack up the price. 

They are already negotiating with both (sets of?) landowners.
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...19969.html

"Now that we know the site, we know the planning setbacks; we know the height limitations on the site; we know what utilities are available; we know the roads."

They expect several months of negotiations, to be followed by an announcement (which should include the provincial funding).
(05-11-2024, 12:06 PM)ac3r Wrote: I know the sites they're looking at. Not ideal, but meh... healthcare matters more than anything, so any new hospital will be good. I know this forum is obsessed with transit, bikes and all that stuff but a new hospital is needed ASAP.

Obviously I can't say anything as I'm not involved with this, I just have close relationships with people in healthcare but I'm sure it'll come out in due time.

But a centralized location close to highways and transit does matter when it comes to the hospitals location. Having a new hospital built at the edge of town that is an extra 15-30 mins away and only accessible by poorly planned artillery roads is not smart planning and ultimately could end up costing lives. Not to mention a hospital downwind from a dump is a ridiculous idea. 

I am still hopeful that the University is the chosen site or somehow a planning miracle is performed and they choose the AUD Lands (One can only dream). 

Ultimately I feel like there is an 60-70% chance this is built beside Costco/ dump in Waterloo.
(05-11-2024, 02:54 PM)westwardloo Wrote: But a centralized location close to highways and transit does matter when it comes to the hospitals location. Having a new hospital built at the edge of town that is an extra 15-30 mins away and only accessible by poorly planned artillery roads is not smart planning and ultimately could end up costing lives. Not to mention a hospital downwind from a dump is a ridiculous idea. 

I am still hopeful that the University is the chosen site or somehow a planning miracle is performed and they choose the AUD Lands (One can only dream). 

Based on the quote from the Record ("Now that we know the site, we know the planning setbacks; we know the height limitations on the site; we know what utilities are available; we know the roads") they are considering those things. The interesting bit in the quote is the "height limitations" and one wonders whether that has to do with airport flight paths, as I really don't expect the cities would deny height to the new hospital.
(05-11-2024, 04:23 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-11-2024, 02:54 PM)westwardloo Wrote: But a centralized location close to highways and transit does matter when it comes to the hospitals location. Having a new hospital built at the edge of town that is an extra 15-30 mins away and only accessible by poorly planned artillery roads is not smart planning and ultimately could end up costing lives. Not to mention a hospital downwind from a dump is a ridiculous idea. 

Based on the quote from the Record ("Now that we know the site, we know the planning setbacks; we know the height limitations on the site; we know what utilities are available; we know the roads") they are considering those things. The interesting bit in the quote is the "height limitations" and one wonders whether that has to do with airport flight paths, as I really don't expect the cities would deny height to the new hospital.

If they're going to have 50 acres to work with, it's hard to see how height limitations could be an issue.
Looking forward to the new hospital near Trussler and New Dundee Rd!
Do any of you actually care about healthcare and the community? We're about to build a state of the art facility with no less than 1000 beds when we are so desperate for those we put patients in hallways and wait times are so long it is putting lives in jeopardy, but seemingly everyone here besides myself is more obsessed whether it's close to bus routes and trails. You can argue that the more central or it is the better - and that's a fair point - but that is hardly what anyone should be worried about. We still already have 4 hospitals in great locations, but this 5th will be providing immense benefits. Most staff and patients drive to work because 1) people live outside the city and region and commute to work, and 2) very few patients are taking transit to get admitted or have tests.

You should be more concerned with whether or not we'll get the funding, how long it'll take and if we'll be able to promptly staff it.

Anyway, as I said the locations they're looking at aren't the worst, so you're all freaking out about nothing. And if it's such a big issue, go to the closer hospitals or go get your license.

(05-12-2024, 12:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: And if it's such a big issue, go to the closer hospitals 

That's the thing, all the existing ERs in K-W will be closing, this will be the only hospital with emergent care. Thus its location is extremely crucial.
(05-11-2024, 12:06 PM)ac3r Wrote: I know the sites they're looking at. Not ideal, but meh... healthcare matters more than anything, so any new hospital will be good. I know this forum is obsessed with transit, bikes and all that stuff but a new hospital is needed ASAP.

Obviously I can't say anything as I'm not involved with this, I just have close relationships with people in healthcare but I'm sure it'll come out in due time.

There is not a politically feasible plan for cycling, trails and other AT that could ever hope to get in the way of a hospital capital budget... The concern about being central is accessibility in emergencies. I absolutely think its possible that a site compromising that would be chosen for the sake of paying less, especially as it relates to denser building and parking plans.
When KW Hospital was first proposed in 1895, there was so much argument about whether it should be in Berlin (Kitchener) or Waterloo, and in either case, where, that Joseph Seagram ultimately bought the property that where the hospital now sits and donated it to the community to end the discussion. Does anyone have 50 acres that they want to donate today?

The property that the Grand River site sits on is currently co-owned by the Cities of Kitchener and Waterloo. I wonder if the new site will have a similar arrangement.
(05-12-2024, 08:25 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(05-12-2024, 12:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: And if it's such a big issue, go to the closer hospitals 

That's the thing, all the existing ERs in K-W will be closing, this will be the only hospital with emergent care. Thus its location is extremely crucial.

Is there a cite for this? I have a vague recollection that we all thought this, then somebody said that at least some of the existing ones will remain open. But I don’t remember where any of this information ultimately comes from.

If true, it’s an appalling and idiotic planning failure. We’re a city easily big enough to need multiple emergency departments, both for accessibility and for disaster resilience (“don’t put all your eggs in one basket”).
The plan to make this the only Emergency department has been in the details all along This is why I was saying, north Waterloo is stupid. People will die by the time the ambulance gets you to the hospital if you live in Kitchener..
(05-14-2024, 09:38 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: The plan to make this the only Emergency department has been in the details all along  This is why I was saying, north Waterloo is stupid.  People will die by the time the ambulance gets you to the hospital if you live in Kitchener..

This is correct. The only consideration I give to having the hospital in the North of the city (i.e. Waterloo) is that it's supposed to act as the major hospital servicing the area between here and Owen Sound. With that said, any serious emergencies from that distance will be via helicopter. Therefore, the primary reasoning for selecting the location should be to minimize the travel time within Kitchener and Waterloo for the greatest number of people.

I understand some people think there's a 'debate' to be had regarding if transit users deserve to have equitable access to the hospital, or if car owners deserve priority. But the argument is moot when you consider that the greatest densities in our cities conveniently align with our rapid transit corridor.

The site selection process should be simple. Perform a study to determine the location(s) that minimize ambulance response times within KW for the greatest number of people. Once those locations have been determined, find the closest available plot of land to these locations and build there. The further you build from these locations, the more people will die during emergencies. It's up to the people in charge to rationalize any deviations from this plan.

To put it bluntly, it's idiotic to build on the periphery of KW (e.g. the Boardwalk). People will needlessly die, and our decision makers have a duty of care to avoid this outcome.

It may be 'hard' or 'inconvenient' or 'require complex planning' to select an ideal site like the Aud lands. But this is what we should expect from our well-paid public servants, to be able to grind through hard work to offer the most equitable outcome for the greatest number of people.

(05-12-2024, 12:45 PM)ac3r Wrote:  And if it's such a big issue, go to the closer hospitals or go get your license.
So the elderly who can no longer drive, those whom cannot afford to drive, kids or the vulnerable should move to the most expensive housing on the periphery or choose to die?
(05-14-2024, 11:13 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(05-12-2024, 12:45 PM)ac3r Wrote:  And if it's such a big issue, go to the closer hospitals or go get your license.
So the elderly who can no longer drive, those whom cannot afford to drive, kids or the vulnerable should move to the most expensive housing on the periphery or choose to die?

Honestly, I'm glad you quoted that one...I laughed out loud at the comment...

I don't think it's possible to be more aggressively anti-orange-pilled as to dismiss the idea that a hospital should be accessible to people who can't drive at the time when they need to get to the hospital, to say nothing of hospital staff, etc.

Like, honestly...it's a sardonic laugh, but it's better than nothing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »