Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
22 Frederick St redevelopment | Completed
I dont know, I am not completely repulsed with this....

... from far enough away!
I think it might be worse than before
I'm kinda speechless with this. While it's not absolutely horrible, as in, there are worse things out there, just not sure exactly where, though the courthouse on Frederick comes close.

On the bright side, I could see them using this building in Stranger Things Season 4. And perhaps this is what it is. And that explains the weird portals and labyrinth DTK.
In the photo it looks ok to me but I haven't been close In person.
I think this photo looks better than the others because of the rows of windows. Earlier photos of the other side where it's a huge wall of grey look a lot worse.

If that's where it lands though, perhaps they can commission a mural to fill the space? The slate grey would make a nice frame for something.
(10-16-2019, 09:09 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I think this photo looks better than the others because of the rows of windows. Earlier photos of the other side where it's a huge wall of grey look a lot worse.

If that's where it lands though, perhaps they can commission a mural to fill the space? The slate grey would make a nice frame for something.
 This! Kitchener Waterloo is seriously lacking when it come to large murals.  The side with no windows is a perfect place for a giant artistic mural. It would make the building a little less horrific in my opinion. On the mural note. There are plenty of 1970-1980 apartment blocks in the region with blank canvases just waiting to be livened up.

This isn't a great quality picture - it's taken with digital zoom on an iPhone from King and Ontario, so there's some artifacts - but I think it's clear enough to show how the paint is wearing or fading in some spots already.

Wow, that's shoddy.
What's that 8 months old? If that?
I got curious too. The first image of the building being painted in the thread was posted on August 13th, which was 170 days or about 5.5 months ago.
(01-28-2020, 01:48 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: This isn't a great quality picture - it's taken with digital zoom on an iPhone from King and Ontario, so there's some artifacts - but I think it's clear enough to show how the paint is wearing or fading in some spots already.

Cheap paint -- I wonder if they used the wrong type...
(01-30-2020, 11:04 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-28-2020, 01:48 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: This isn't a great quality picture - it's taken with digital zoom on an iPhone from King and Ontario, so there's some artifacts - but I think it's clear enough to show how the paint is wearing or fading in some spots already.

Cheap paint -- I wonder if they used the wrong type...

Yeah, something about this process definitely seems to have been done incorrectly. When I went back to look at some of the earlier pictures to figure out the timing it was obvious that the brick was old and crumbling. I wonder if they didn't treat it properly before applying paint and if that's the case we might be seeing the brick continuing to decay, taking the paint with it.

(01-30-2020, 11:38 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(01-30-2020, 11:04 AM)jeffster Wrote: Cheap paint -- I wonder if they used the wrong type...

Yeah, something about this process definitely seems to have been done incorrectly. When I went back to look at some of the earlier pictures to figure out the timing it was obvious that the brick was old and crumbling. I wonder if they didn't treat it properly before applying paint and if that's the case we might be seeing the brick continuing to decay, taking the paint with it.

I've never heard of any treatment that would stop brick from deteriorating, after the deterioration has already begun.  I have seen cases where paint simply will not adhere to damaged brick.
I do think that the paint job was a temporary "cosmetic" fix. If the brick is deteriorating, which wouldn't surprise me. I have a feeling like the whole building will need to be re-clad in the next decade. I don't know if Europro is the type of property management company to make that type of long term investment.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »