Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Winter Walking and Cycling
(01-01-2021, 03:21 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Can't just blame it on the weather (until now, at least). Walking on Ahrens St yesterday, from Young to Queen, the sidewalks were nice and clear, except for a stretch of three consecutive houses where they were treacherously icy. Unless it had been a highly localized ice storm, the only other explanation is a group of delinquent homeowners.

I should clarify I’m not blaming the weather, which is not responsible for the problems, as is proven by the many properties with passable sidewalks. What is true is that some weather conditions will make things worse. This week’s weather is likely, depending on exactly what happens, to make a mess of any property that isn’t extremely diligent; other weather patterns will be fine except for those who do nothing. The actual conditions on the sidewalk are a combination of weather with the property owner’s response.

Quite true. Sorry if I implied otherwise, it was not intentional.
Hmmm, maybe posting inaccessible sidewalks on Twitter could be more effective than calling bylaw?
And with tonight's snow, the Pingstreet report I made that was never followed up on was a complete waste of my time. I've watched literally hundreds of people walk past my house in the road over the last few days because that section of sidewalk was so treacherous.
We went to Huron Natural Area yesterday with the vague recollection that the paved paths have been cleared in previous winters. We got there to find the concrete sections had been cleared, but beyond the pavilion, there was a "No Winter Mintenance" sign and solid paths of ice. With a stroller and a toddler, this was impassible. In the few minutes we were there, we saw a number of other families make the attempt and turn back when they admitted defeat.

A pass through of Mclennan Park on the way home showed the same results. It's unfortunate this is the reality this winter where being outside is touted as the "safe" thing to do. By having Victoria and Waterloo parks as the only two locations with a modicum of effort put into making accessible in the winter, they're forcing crowds to gather, the general opposite of what should be happening this year.
(01-02-2021, 10:01 AM)timio Wrote: We went to Huron Natural Area yesterday with the vague recollection that the paved paths have been cleared in previous winters. We got there to find the concrete sections had been cleared, but beyond the pavilion, there was a "No Winter Mintenance" sign and solid paths of ice.

That's common, though. Rarely do they ever bother to plow dirt/gravel paths or even roads because then they'd tear it up and need to grade it come spring.

(01-02-2021, 01:34 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 10:01 AM)timio Wrote: We went to Huron Natural Area yesterday with the vague recollection that the paved paths have been cleared in previous winters. We got there to find the concrete sections had been cleared, but beyond the pavilion, there was a "No Winter Mintenance" sign and solid paths of ice.

That's common, though. Rarely do they ever bother to plow dirt/gravel paths or even roads because then they'd tear it up and need to grade it come spring.

I was thinking they might plow the asphalt loop to the pond, but not so much.
(01-02-2021, 10:01 AM)timio Wrote: A pass through of Mclennan Park on the way home showed the same results. It's unfortunate this is the reality this winter where being outside is touted as the "safe" thing to do.  By having Victoria and Waterloo parks as the only two locations with a modicum of effort put into making accessible in the winter, they're forcing crowds to gather, the general opposite of what should be happening this year.

Honestly, there are no crowds at Victoria Park. Some people, yes, but not crowds. Not in winter.

And I don't think Huron and Victoria Park are really substitutes for each other. Not for most people. The Victoria Park loop trail is quite short, surely less than 2 km. If we want a substantial walk, we need to combine it with either IHT or a neighbourhood walk.
(01-02-2021, 02:02 PM)timio Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 01:34 PM)ac3r Wrote: That's common, though. Rarely do they ever bother to plow dirt/gravel paths or even roads because then they'd tear it up and need to grade it come spring.

I was thinking they might plow the asphalt loop to the pond, but not so much.

Plowing a natural area is a challenge because it usually requires putting down salt. While there are some alternatives (like brushing and doing so frequently) these alternatives are expensive.

And I totally understand that salting in a natural area doesn’t matter a whole lot compared with the literal kilotones of salt we dump on the roads but the optics would still be terrible, I mean we have numskulls in our community who try to use salt as justification not to plow the sidewalks. Wouldn’t take much more than a small salt spill for some centrist non-progressive pretend enviro types to go viral freaking out unironically calling the city hypocritical for talking about salt while spreading a (relatively tiny but highly visible) amount in a natural area.

Man I am starting 2021 bluntly.
(01-02-2021, 02:26 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 10:01 AM)timio Wrote: A pass through of Mclennan Park on the way home showed the same results. It's unfortunate this is the reality this winter where being outside is touted as the "safe" thing to do.  By having Victoria and Waterloo parks as the only two locations with a modicum of effort put into making accessible in the winter, they're forcing crowds to gather, the general opposite of what should be happening this year.

Honestly, there are no crowds at Victoria Park. Some people, yes, but not crowds. Not in winter.

And I don't think Huron and Victoria Park are really substitutes for each other. Not for most people. The Victoria Park loop trail is quite short, surely less than 2 km. If we want a substantial walk, we need to combine it with either IHT or a neighbourhood walk.

Most should already combine with a neighbourhood walk instead of driving. Course last time I tried too there was a truck blocking the sidewalk.

The park was busy the last couple days I was in town for Christmas and the next day with people running (no exaggeration, I’ve never seen more people running in the park, I am assuming Christmas gifts + new exercise regime time).

But most days you are right, the crowds of fall and summer are gone.  That being said, I do believe that all parts of town should have access to their local parks as much as possible.

Course without clear sidewalks it’s pretty much a pipe dream.
On Kitchener City Council, which members have been most resistant to the idea of the City clearing the sidewalks?
(01-04-2021, 05:27 PM)Bytor Wrote: On Kitchener City Council, which members have been most resistant to the idea of the City clearing the sidewalks?

Scott Davey and Kelly Galloway-Sealock have been extremely opposed to do it (to the point that Galloway-Sealock prepared and extremely offensive statement dismissing those who spoke in support of it)

In favour seem to be Vrbanovic, Marsh, and I think probably Chapman and strangely enough Gazola has often supported it. 

Others are more mixed, but lean one way or another, only those four or five stood out.

(01-04-2021, 07:10 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: strangely enough Gazola has often supported it. 

He probably wants the sidewalks clear so he can partake in some winter cycling.
(01-02-2021, 02:26 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Honestly, there are no crowds at Victoria Park. Some people, yes, but not crowds. Not in winter.

That's definitely not been my experience the few times I've been to Victoria Park or Waterloo Park in the evening before Christmas. Possibly because of the Christmas lights.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »