Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Shops at Waterloo Town Square
I'm thinking the rent there must be incredibly inflated, because there's no good reason that so many seem to fail at that location considering the volume of people there.

(08-04-2020, 03:33 PM)jamincan Wrote: I'm thinking the rent there must be incredibly inflated, because there's no good reason that so many seem to fail at that location considering the volume of people there.

It seems reasonable that the mall is mismanaged in some fashion, but I really haven't got a clue. It's well proven at this point that commercial core malls don't thrive and so it seems equally reasonable to me to presume that the management has done a great job keeping the mall viable in spite of that fact.

This massive plot of land deserves so much better than what it is though.
(08-04-2020, 03:21 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: David's Tea, Hearts and Flowers and RetroReplay (which is still operating online) are the business mentioned as being closed in the article, for those keeping track.

The flower shop has been gone for a few months now. I just noticed about a hour ago that RetroReplay was gone. The jewellery shop was closed too but I could not tell if it was permanent or not.
Would uptown Waterloo even support towers on this site?
(08-05-2020, 08:08 AM)Spokes Wrote: Would uptown Waterloo even support towers on this site?

Almost certainly not, that's a good point. I'm not really competent enough to have a meaningful suggestion for what should be there, but I do strongly feel that the space is wasted in its current form.
A couple of landmark towers and an expanded plaza would seem to me to be a perfect use of the site.
(08-04-2020, 03:21 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: David's Tea, Hearts and Flowers and RetroReplay (which is still operating online) are the business mentioned as being closed in the article, for those keeping track.

I mourn this mall's continued demise a little, still. It was practically my second home from like, 1987 until 1994 or thereabouts. I'd love for someone to tear the whole thing down and build a couple of great towers, though I say that with no meaningful understanding of what that would entail.

I spent a lot of time there as a kid, mostly downstairs though. One of the best spots for pool and bowling. I don't think I've been there once since they tore down the original mall.

(08-05-2020, 12:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote: A couple of landmark towers and an expanded plaza would seem to me to be a perfect use of the site.

Perhaps it would. But I think the UWBIA would have different idea's about changing it to that degree. UTW got hit really hard with years of LRT work, roadworks, and streetscape work. I think 6 years in total, only stopping last November...then Covid-19 happens 4 months later.
(08-05-2020, 12:31 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 12:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote: A couple of landmark towers and an expanded plaza would seem to me to be a perfect use of the site.

Perhaps it would. But I think the UWBIA would have different idea's about changing it to that degree. UTW got hit really hard with years of LRT work, roadworks, and streetscape work. I think 6 years in total, only stopping last November...then Covid-19 happens 4 months later.
I am sure a majority of the business would welcome a couple thousand more residence within walking distance. Although i think the square has done a decent job in the last decade making retail frontage on Willis way. I think if they were to create a masterplan for the lot it would be just as nice to limit the height to 6-10 stories along Caroline st then 4-6 stories along Willis way. Extend the square to the lrt station. I believe laurel creek flows right under the mall though so i am not sure how viable any of that would be.
(08-05-2020, 12:26 PM)jeffster Wrote:

I mourn this mall's continued demise a little, still. It was practically my second home from like, 1987 until 1994 or thereabouts. I'd love for someone to tear the whole thing down and build a couple of great towers, though I say that with no meaningful understanding of what that would entail.

I spent a lot of time there as a kid, mostly downstairs though. One of the best spots for pool and bowling. I don't think I've been there once since they tore down the original mall.

Yep, Twin City Bowl is where I was most of the time too, most every afternoon after high school except for the period when there was the arcade on the main floor. So much Street Fighter 2.
(08-05-2020, 12:43 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I believe laurel creek flows right under the mall though so i am not sure how viable any of that would be.

More or less right between the mall and the tracks, to my knowledge; then angling southwards to pass under the parking garage. I understand the reason for the weird angled posts in the parking garage is to bridge the creek under the floor.

The LRT platform in that location required a lot more foundation work than was typical for other stations.

I would like to see the creek daylighted and made part of the redevelopment. Before the LRT came I was imagining a large atrium with both the creek and LRT running through indoors (or semi-indoors; realistically it probably wouldn’t be reasonable to heat to room temperature in winter a space with a creek running through and LRT-sized openings). Just an idea, not even a conceptual plan — I don’t know what shape the rest of the structure might have had.

But one can imagine re-routing the creek slightly further from the tracks and putting patios next to it. Probably constrained between walls, not naturalized, but still would be nice to actually see the water.
With the infill that has occurred south of Willis Way, I think it's inevitable that the mall will be redeveloped. It would be a challenging project, I think. It would be nice to keep Valumart, and have and expanded space for it. I'm thinking having access to underground parking at a fully-signalized intersection at Father David Bauer, and then making Willis Way fully pedestrianized and have exposed frontage for the store along Caroline. The loading zone could then be located adjacent to the LRT tracks where it would have less of an impact on the Caroline streetscape. Underground parking for Valumart would then free up space in the current lot for redevelopment.

Re: the creek, the region's GIS site shows it north of the tracks, crossing the tracks right around where the plaza starts.
(08-05-2020, 02:57 PM)jamincan Wrote: Re: the creek, the region's GIS site shows it north of the tracks, crossing the tracks right around where the plaza starts.

It’s definitely south of the tracks on Caroline St. CCGG is built more or less on top of the creek. It then crosses under the tracks right next to CCGG. This structure was rebuilt when the LRT was built. It crosses Erb where the 5 storm grates in a row are, then crosses Caroline St. and proceeds under the small parking lot where the Valumart parcel pickup is. During LRT construction they had the box culvert under Caroline St. exposed.

(08-05-2020, 02:09 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(08-05-2020, 12:26 PM)jeffster Wrote: I spent a lot of time there as a kid, mostly downstairs though. One of the best spots for pool and bowling. I don't think I've been there once since they tore down the original mall.

Yep, Twin City Bowl is where I was most of the time too, most every afternoon after high school except for the period when there was the arcade on the main floor. So much Street Fighter 2.

Oh yeah, but I seem to recall playing Street Fighter downstairs as well. When I was a teen I did some contract work (for another guy) at Scotia Bank. They had a super old vending machine to dispense soda. The soda itself had been in there for a long time. You know how kids are...we didn't care. 10¢ for a pop (glass at that) was a good price back then. Now thinking about it, probably wasn't a great idea drinking 15 year old pop, and why Scotia Bank kept the machine plugged-in and around for so long without it being used by staff is a mastery.

But I gotta tell you, that pop tasted fantastic. It also reminded me when I helped decommission the Labatt brewery in Waterloo, they had old Coke cans (the 280ml ones) that had been laying around for years which we all drank. I was a little older but clearly didn't care. Sugary goodness, real Coke taste. Pretty much every Coke can spills some of its slop when you opened it. They too were about 10 years old.

Survived to tell the tale. I wouldn't do the same these days, a quality of food isn't the same. No one uses sugar anymore either to make drinks. HFCS will kill ya.

The type of vending machine was called a "slider".... https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/v...-533953689 though I believe machine that Scotia had was PepsiCola.
Not sure if this is the right thread, but Shopify's office space at 85 Willis Way is up for lease. The Record is reporting that Shopify is looking to sublease more than 60,000 sq ft of office space as they move to a work from home model.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »