Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Downtown project directory
Wow, that's a lot of work. Thank you Kalis0494 et al for your hard work and contributions. I couldn't do that but I can certainly appreciate the effort in !!!!

(05-28-2024, 06:54 PM)kalis0490 Wrote: Hello All,
This is the May 2024 update of the Development Map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?m...sp=sharing

I've finally gotten around to adding over 80 buildings which were submitted by WRC users. Special thanks to @ZEBuilder, @Bravado and @Bytor for their contributions. An archive of these contributions is found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing.

The addition of these buildings means we now have development coverage in Cambridge and in the suburbs! There are over 550 Buildings in the overall db.

I have updated the Project Documentation to reflect recent changes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SgoH...sp=sharing

Lots of people have been interested in analysing empty parking lots, and other non-optimal uses of land in the region.  I've used Openstreetmap's api, to automatically create a layer for this info in the region. (Note the full layer is too large for Google mymaps, and Ive added as much data as I can to the map (full layer available upon request))

I have experimented with Microsoft's 3D Map Maker to create simple 3D skylines directly from the database - This is a slideshow of some of the views across the region.  https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1...sp=sharing

Next steps:
- Feel free to message me if you'd like to contribute to the project
- I'm continuing to add more projects in Cambridge and the suburbs
- I'm adding a layer of local transit routes and route-by-route ridership stats. 
- I am working with @ZEBuilder to create a 3D interactive map similar to https://precondo.ca/3d-model-toronto/

Thanks for doing this and keeping updated!

BTW, if you're generating the KML by software from the database, since there's now so many buildings added, would it be possible to stylize the development's pins' colours or shapes to denote different categories? Like year completed, for example.
@kalis0490 or anyone else: what's the best way to dig through the city's documents to track down site maps, etc? It's been a few years since I've last touched my 3D development map, but I want to get working on it again. However, all the old ways of going through the city's files seem to have been completely neutered. For kitchener you used to be able to trawl through the city's laserfische site to find development applications, etc, but theyve changed it so it can take upwards of 30 minutes to load a single PDF, somehow (????), and normally crashes when you do. Even the file structure has changed — doesn't seem like there's a singular folder with everything anymore, unless I'm just having trouble finding it. Is there another way to browse these documents?

Seems like Waterloo's structure has changed too, though looks like most documents are still available, just now on EngageWR?
(06-02-2024, 04:07 PM)GtwoK Wrote: @kalis0490 or anyone else: what's the best way to dig through the city's documents to track down site maps, etc? It's been a few years since I've last touched my 3D development map, but I want to get working on it again. However, all the old ways of going through the city's files seem to have been completely neutered. For kitchener you used to be able to trawl through the city's laserfische site to find development applications, etc, but theyve changed it so it can take upwards of 30 minutes to load a single PDF, somehow (????), and normally crashes when you do. Even the file structure has changed — doesn't seem like there's a singular folder with everything anymore, unless I'm just having trouble finding it. Is there another way to browse these documents?

Seems like Waterloo's structure has changed too, though looks like most documents are still available, just now on EngageWR?

For Kitchener the laserfische is really the best way especially since you can find all the reports in there. If a project doesn't need OPA/ZBA approval and only needs SPA it gets a lot more annoying since there is no easy way to get those plans without emailing the city, you can try digging through the heritage reports or committee of adjustment reports since you'll sometimes find a site plan buried in a HIA or a minor variance report but that takes forever to do.

In regards to the crashing of the website the easiest way I've found around it is by downloading the file as a pdf and then going from there but it still can't generete half the time so its just an annoying issue. In terms of folders for everything if you to go to main public access folder then go to the reports folder you should find a folder titled DSD (development services) which will have the OPA/ZBA and minor variance reports from 2018 on, then the DTS (development and technical services) folder should have everything from 2005-2010 and between 2010 and 2018 everything is in the CSD (Corporate Services) folder.

For Waterloo the only way I've found is by emailing the city or looking at the EngageWR site but that again only has OPA/ZBA stuff no SPA. Likewise for Cambridge they still have their development applications page which shows all the OPA/ZBA stuff but no SPA.

I know when I made my 3D model of KW and helped kalis0490 update their map it was a lot of time digging through everything since there really is no easy way.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »