Waterloo Region Connected
Hospitals in KW - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Urban Issues (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Urban Issues (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Hospitals in KW (/showthread.php?tid=1373)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Hospitals in KW - westwardloo - 01-03-2024

(01-03-2024, 02:38 PM)ac3r Wrote: I can confirm that the two main options they are considering are either The Aud location (this is unfortunately rather unlikely to happen) or somewhere in the far east of the city near the landfill/Ira Needles. My partner has been trying to let me know what she can about things. It's still quite hush hush, but those are the two main choices for now. They apparently are not giving much consideration to anywhere else, with the cost of the project being the main factor they are being forced to consider.

Gawd, just what the region needs more of our service out east near the boardwalk. Our region is great at planning for the future sometimes, but then just awful at other aspects of future proofing our urban design. Ira needles highway was a mistake that future generations will look back at and scratch their heads, similar to how we view Hespeler road.  

The Aud is the only logical location from an access standpoint.  If its not at the aud lands, then I agree with we should just accept that we are not a medical hub and spend a billion at each of our existing hospitals to upgrade them to meet some of the needs in our community. I don't think we will get the same bang for our buck in this approach, but at least the hospitals will be accessible to a majority of the residents.

RE: Hospitals in KW - KingandWeber - 01-03-2024

The Aud site really is the best option on so many levels. Choosing the Boardwalk-area would be such a huge slap in the face to regional urban planning efforts to date. It's so much less accessible by transit AND by car. I'm glad that the Aud site hasn't been written off at least, but I do fear the Boardwalk will win out because so many people view abundance of parking as the definition of accessible.

RE: Hospitals in KW - ac3r - 01-03-2024

So I was chatting and got some more news.

Another option they are considering is somewhere near the University of Waterloo, possibly near the Research and Technology park. The university is considering a land grant, as this would allow certain faculties of the university to participate with placements, research programs and so on which they already do (they have offices at the cancer center and I think the pharmacy faculty also does a lot of work with the hospital).

I think this would be a really good option since the LRT is nearby. It's still a little far from the core of the city, but it's at least nearby transit, arterial roads and having the university nearby would be great. It wouldn't exactly be a teaching hospital, I think, but it would be similar. If a land grant was offered, this would also solve the problem of space.

None of this is confirmed of course, I'm just going by what I'm privy to but it'll be interesting to see what they do. I really really really hope they build it in a logical place and not in the suburbs.

RE: Hospitals in KW - panamaniac - 01-03-2024

(01-03-2024, 12:36 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I hope they don't let the minimum 50 Acres site determine the perfect site for the Hospital.  It is such an arbitrary number forced by the province. The Aud lands are the clear front runner for best site in terms of car and transit access. No doubt the panel is going to recommend a site in south kitchener or by the St. Jacobs Market. I don't agree with some of you that we can just keep expanding the existing Hospitals in the Region. There is no room on the st. Mary's site to expand, and GRH is such a Frankenstein of a building that it would cost more to expand/ upgrade the site to meet the needs of our growing city then it would be to build new. They are also not one "Mega Hospital", the plan is to keep GRH operational and close St. Mary's. It will function as the main hospital in our Region and beyond though. Wouldn't it be nice if residents in the region and guelph didn't need to go to Hamilton or London for medical procedures?

I hope Zehr is fighting like hell for the Aud site.  They've been surprisingly successful, so far, in keeping the location from becoming a matter of public controversy.  St Mary's could, in theory, be expanded into the surrounding neighbourhood.  SunLife could stir things up by offering to donate it's adjacent parking lot for an expansion of GRH.   I don't know whether any local hospital development would eliminate the need for sending serious trauma cases, among other things, to London or Hamilton.

One thing we don't know about the 50 acre requirement is whether it is just for a new hospital or whether future medical-related developments are being anticipated.

I'm sceptical about a 10,000 seat arena at the transit statiion but, if that render is accurate, perhaps it's possible.  It would be good to give DTK a new focal point.

RE: Hospitals in KW - KevinL - 01-03-2024

(01-03-2024, 11:21 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote:  including a cool render of a new stadium at the Charles terminal

Very clearly AI art that simply had the street configuration plugged into it. None of the surrounding buildings match the real world and there's no grade to the street.

RE: Hospitals in KW - ac3r - 01-03-2024

The Record has published a story on the challenges of selecting a new site: https://archive.ph/iGuxS

It elaborates on potentially building it near the university or using the Aud property. As I've been saying, The Aud would be great and they also bring up the potential of an Ottawa LRT line. But, they say that as it's only 44 acres it does not qualify. I think that's nonsense...just built it up, not out. Another suggestion is the Bramm Yards which would actually be really good.

Is GRH and the region lurking this board, I wonder? All the ideas we've suggested are being considered haha. Where's our paycheque!

RE: Hospitals in KW - Bytor - 01-03-2024

Why does the new hospital need 50 acres or 21 hectares of land?

That's bigger than this area: [Image: Screenshot-from-2024-01-03-20-55-23.png]

RE: Hospitals in KW - Rainrider22 - 01-04-2024

(01-03-2024, 06:35 PM)ac3r Wrote: So I was chatting and got some more news.

Another option they are considering is somewhere near the University of Waterloo, possibly near the Research and Technology park. The university is considering a land grant, as this would allow certain faculties of the university to participate with placements, research programs and so on which they already do (they have offices at the cancer center and I think the pharmacy faculty also does a lot of work with the hospital).

I think this would be a really good option since the LRT is nearby. It's still a little far from the core of the city, but it's at least nearby transit, arterial roads and having the university nearby would be great. It wouldn't exactly be a teaching hospital, I think, but it would be similar. If a land grant was offered, this would also solve the problem of space.

None of this is confirmed of course, I'm just going by what I'm privy to but it'll be interesting to see what they do. I really really really hope they build it in a logical place and not in the suburbs.

I personally think that that is way to far north.  You are talking about almost 300k people from Kitchener having to go to the north end of Waterloo.  People will die in emergency situations.  It is my understanding that this will be the only Emergency department available once the new hospital is built.  If this is the case, that kind of drive time for ambulances will cost people lives. St Mary's is currently one of the best cardiac care centres in Canada. When you have a heart attack, if you go to St. Marys you have the highest chance of surviving.  Part of the reason is it's central location.  Once closed, your talking about decrease in survival due to additional time passed from incident to arrival at Emergency.

Just something to think about.....  I know there is a heavy push for a Waterloo site from certain influential people...

RE: Hospitals in KW - panamaniac - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 08:00 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(01-03-2024, 06:35 PM)ac3r Wrote: So I was chatting and got some more news.

I personally think that that is way to far north.  You are talking about almost 300k people from Kitchener having to go to the north end of Waterloo.  People will die in emergency situations.  It is my understanding that this will be the only Emergency department available once the new hospital is built.  If this is the case, that kind of drive time for ambulances will cost people lives. St Mary's is currently one of the best cardiac care centres in Canada. When you have a heart attack, if you go to St. Marys you have the highest chance of surviving.  Part of the reason is it's central location.  Once closed, your talking about decrease in survival due to additional time passed from incident to arrival at Emergency.

Just something to think about.....  I know there is a heavy push for a Waterloo site from certain influential people...

Tell us more ...

I cant say publicly, sorry

RE: Hospitals in KW - panamaniac - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 01:04 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I cant say publicly, sorry

National security?

lol, nothing that sexy, Family though...

RE: Hospitals in KW - ijmorlan - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 08:00 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I personally think that that is way to far north.  You are talking about almost 300k people from Kitchener having to go to the north end of Waterloo.  People will die in emergency situations.  It is my understanding that this will be the only Emergency department available once the new hospital is built.  If this is the case, that kind of drive time for ambulances will cost people lives. St Mary's is currently one of the best cardiac care centres in Canada. When you have a heart attack, if you go to St. Marys you have the highest chance of surviving.  Part of the reason is it's central location.  Once closed, your talking about decrease in survival due to additional time passed from incident to arrival at Emergency.

Then the problem is the idiotic decision to have fewer Emergency departments, not the northerly location of the new hospital. Obviously, there should be multiple Emergency departments over a city the size of ours, both for quick access and to avoid a single point of failure.

RE: Hospitals in KW - cherrypark - 01-04-2024

I get the sense the UW goal is not a teaching hospital, but rather a hospital set up for other med-tech development. The push for the new Innovation Arena to make improved space for medical startups as well as the unlikely case that Ontario is going to fund another teaching hospital with near neighbours makes that sensible. The R&T park, while north, does have an LRT station and proximity to the denser parts of Waterloo, if not Kitchener.

The Aud site would also be reasonably close to the DTK tech cluster as well. The Bramm Yards would also be a reasonable option to relocate the Aud if that were the case. I've mused that a park space and amphitheatre would be nice to include there, but a new sports and entertainment venue get more use (though cost far more).

RE: Hospitals in KW - bravado - 01-04-2024

(01-04-2024, 01:04 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I cant say publicly, sorry

It’s Ontario, there’s nothing more secret than public procurement!