Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City Cafe
I'm thinking everybody already knows this local bakery/café, which has several locations around town, but I just wanted to recommend their bagels (usually just sesame or multigrain at the one I go to). I think they are the best in town. I have to describe them as somewhere between a Montreal and a Toronto-style bagel - has City Café invented the "Kitchener-style" bagel?

panamaniac Wrote:I just wanted to recommend their bagels (usually just sesame or multigrain at the one I go to). I think they are the best in town.

Them's fightin' words! I love City Cafe Bakery, but my favourite local bagels are at Woodfire Bagels (Montreal-style) on Kingsway Drive.
I have passed that place so many times and never gone in to try them. Now I must!
Quick unofficial poll: Favourite City Cafe location?
Ambiance - the original spot on Victoria St

Quality - the spot on Ottawa St at Charles (I find the bread varies sslightly among the different locations).
mpd618 Wrote:
panamaniac Wrote:I just wanted to recommend their bagels (usually just sesame or multigrain at the one I go to). I think they are the best in town.

Them's fightin' words! I love City Cafe Bakery, but my favourite local bagels are at Woodfire Bagels (Montreal-style) on Kingsway Drive.

Ok, so I just took the taste challenge and conclude as follows:

Woodfire bagels are chewier and a bit sweeter and therefore, imho, closer to "Montreal-style" bagels. The also hold their seeds (sesame) better than those of City Café. They are cheaper as well, at $3.75 for a half dozen vs $1 each (take away).

Woodfire has four types (sesame, poppyseed, plain and cinnamon/raisin), while City Café has sesame, multigrain and (sometimes) plain.

City Café wins for convenience of its locations.

Advantage: Woodfire, but both are good bagels.
panamaniac Wrote:Advantage: Woodburner, but both are good bagels.
Minor correction: it's Woodfire Bagels unless they've changed their name.

OOPs. You are correct. Edits made.
Is Rise and Shine Bagels guy still doing his thing on Friday and Saturday?

Those were the best bagels in the region, IMO.
Section ThirtyOne Wrote:Is Rise and Shine Bagels guy still doing his thing on Friday and Saturday?

Those were the best bagels in the region, IMO.

Was doing it last week. I also saw a police car and van outside the place on Sunday morning. Not sure what was happening there. We'll see this week.
I was biking past the old City Cafe at Lancaster and Bridgeport and it looks as though it is now Woodfire Cafe Bakery or something similar. I did some google and couldn't find what the actual name is. This location is also no longer on the City Cafe site. I'm not sure when the change happened, just noticed the new branding on the awning.
(07-28-2020, 11:45 AM)Chris Wrote: I was biking past the old City Cafe at Lancaster and Bridgeport and it looks as though it is now Woodfire Cafe Bakery or something similar. I did some google and couldn't find what the actual name is. This location is also no longer on the City Cafe site. I'm not sure when the change happened, just noticed the new branding on the awning.

An expansion or a relocation of Woodfire Bagels down on the Kingsway?
Apparently it is "Woodfired Cafe & Bakecurry" according to this Facebook page which was created on July 2, 2020: https://www.facebook.com/woodfiredcafeabdbakecurry

Their first post (July 2) reads:

Quote:A new bakery in a former bakery location!
We are at 499 Lancaster Street West in Kitchener. We offer fresh baked breads, bagels croissants, sweets from 6 am to 4 pm, 7 days a week.
Also, we feature lunch between 11:30 am to 2 pm.
Join us for sandwiches or melts on our sourdough bread, thin crust wood fired pizza, and a curry combo - 2 curries, basmati rice and nan bread. $8.
We have a safe Covid protocol in place and a beautiful patio where you can enjoy your coffee & bagel, lunch or sweet treats.
We look forward to welcoming you.!

(07-28-2020, 12:58 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: Apparently it is "Woodfired Cafe & Bakecurry" according to this Facebook page which was created on July 2, 2020: https://www.facebook.com/woodfiredcafeabdbakecurry

Their first post (July 2) reads:

Quote:A new bakery in a former bakery location!
We are at 499 Lancaster Street West in Kitchener. We offer fresh baked breads, bagels croissants, sweets from 6 am to 4 pm, 7 days a week.
Also, we feature lunch between 11:30 am to 2 pm.
Join us for sandwiches or melts on our sourdough bread, thin crust wood fired pizza, and a curry combo - 2 curries, basmati rice and nan bread. $8.
We have a safe Covid protocol in place and a beautiful patio where you can enjoy your coffee & bagel, lunch or sweet treats.
We look forward to welcoming you.!

Awesome google-foo Rob. Thanks for the info. I tired Woodfire and Woodfired Cafe Bakery but never noticed the unique spelling of bakecurry.
Wood-fired Montreal-style bagels! And curry! I have to put this on my list, even if it's not so close to DTK.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »