Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Arts and Culture News
I believe that Orange Monkey existed when I moved to the Region in 2001.

They've been around since at least 1995/96 - originally on the main floor of the Jane Bond building where the kitchen is now. They recently had some ownership changes (a new owner came on board) and started an offshoot record label.
Well, it seems that the Banana sculpture (the monkeys) hadn't been approved yet by the City of Waterloo.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/banana-scul...-1.5037772

Although this is on private property, it still needed approval first.
Well, they'd best hurry up and approve it then!
(07-25-2020, 03:35 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Well, they'd best hurry up and approve it then!

Let's hope Waterloo doesn't try to make a statement regarding this.
Does that mean a homeowner would also need city approval to place an artwork in the front yard?
(07-25-2020, 03:42 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 03:35 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Well, they'd best hurry up and approve it then!

Let's hope Waterloo doesn't try to make a statement regarding this.
Unless the sculpture is unsafe or something, I can’t think of any statement they could make that wouldn’t make them look like bozos.

(07-25-2020, 05:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Does that mean a homeowner would also need city approval to place an artwork in the front yard?

I’m also having trouble understanding this. They have a building permit to put up a huge tower (which the consensus here seems to be is relatively unattractive), but they can’t decide for themselves what piece of artwork to put in front? Do they also need to get City approval to install a bench, or change the light fixtures on the front of the building? Do I need approval to plant tulips in my garden?
(07-26-2020, 08:48 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 05:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Does that mean a homeowner would also need city approval to place an artwork in the front yard?

I’m also having trouble understanding this. They have a building permit to put up a huge tower (which the consensus here seems to be is relatively unattractive), but they can’t decide for themselves what piece of artwork to put in front? Do they also need to get City approval to install a bench, or change the light fixtures on the front of the building? Do I need approval to plant tulips in my garden?

I imagine if it was something that wasn't so tall and so unique, nothing would have been said. I am guessing that they likely didn't figure on needing approval with this work of art. When the work of art hit the news, someone at city hall questioned why it hadn't been approved. And now they're seeking approval after the fact. Perhaps Waterloo needs to have engineers look at it to make sure there is no risk to any that gets close to the structure, which makes sense.
It's almost certainly to prevent distasteful or offensive art from being installed. My guess is that this will be approved.
But how would you even word a bylaw like that? How does one even define what "art" is?

Does Kitchener have this kind of a bylaw on its books, too?
After a bit of digging it's maybe that it would need to be approved under the development application? It's hard to say, though, because City of Waterloo does a terrible job of making their by-laws and policies readily available to the public. From the sounds of it, though, the mandate of the Public Art Committee isn't so much to approve or deny public-visible private art like this, but to govern public art owned by or lent to the City.
That would make more sense. Maybe artwork taller than X requires a building permit?

Globe Studio, has acquired the other 1/2 of their building at 141 Whitney Place (Bonnie Stuart shoe factory), in Kitchener and are planning on expanding into that space. Globe Studios is an artist-run organization, that operates 22 fine art studios.

Funding came from Trillium and a loan from Libro Credit Union.

https://www.facebook.com/globestudios/po...__tn__=K-R
The Belmont Village Bestival 2020
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »