Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Arts and Culture News
An impressive initiative. Has Emmanuel done a concert series before?

P.S. No organ concert? I love organ music.

Anyone know what is up with these? Noticed a bunch popped up in the Mary Allen area this morning.

Attached Files Image(s)

(09-25-2019, 11:50 PM)nms Wrote: October 12: 'Twas Now with Jesse Parent

I loved their billboard on the train bridge.... Wink

Coke
(09-26-2019, 09:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote: An impressive initiative.  Has Emmanuel done a concert series before?

P.S.  No organ concert?  I love organ music.

Concerts were hosted about 30+ years ago so we're bringing it back.  We'll look for some organ players for future dates.  I think Arcade Fire has used an organ in some of their work. :-)
Does a Hammond Organ count? The Stranglers are still touring! Big Grin
With the number of Cassavants in town, I don't think we need to worry about any Hammonds.
I can’t remember the thread or context, but a few months back there was some comment re philanthropy in the Region.  In any event, I see that the Savvas Chamberlain Family Foundation of Waterloo is giving $4M toward an expansion of the WLU Faculty of Music.

(01-10-2020, 12:00 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I can’t remember the thread or context, but a few months back there was some comment re philanthropy in the Region.  In any event, I see that the Savvas Chamberlain Family Foundation of Waterloo is giving $4M toward an expansion of the WLU Faculty of Music.
I believe it was in the general Kitchener when talking about the Bus depot site. This is great to see! I will point out that it doesn't do much for the music and art scene within the region. My guess is a majority of the students of this program will move to Toronto within a year of graduation. Personally I would prefer a contribution to a local arts venue or recording studio or something that would have a large effect on arts and culture in the region as opposed to the 100 or so student that are in that program, Not saying this news is not great. But it seems every major philanthropy contribution in this region goes to the universities.
(01-10-2020, 09:55 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(01-10-2020, 12:00 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I can’t remember the thread or context, but a few months back there was some comment re philanthropy in the Region.  In any event, I see that the Savvas Chamberlain Family Foundation o
f Waterloo is giving $4M toward an expansion of the WLU Faculty of Music.
I believe it was in the general Kitchener when talking about the Bus depot site. This is great to see! I will point out that it doesn't do much for the music and art scene within the region. My guess is a majority of the students of this program will move to Toronto within a year of graduation. Personally I would prefer a contribution to a local arts venue or recording studio or something that would have a large effect on arts and culture in the region as opposed to the 100 or so student that are in that program, Not saying this news is not great. But it seems every major philanthropy contribution in this region goes to the universities.
The Faculty of Music includes a performance venue.  The thing to remember about the K-W “music scene” is that it often means classical.  That might change in future, but it has a long history.
I have often heard that Kitchener is a hockey town.  And it probably is.  However, you may have trouble convincing the sellout crowd that saw DANCE ME / MUSIQUE DE LEONARD COHEN by Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal at the Centre in the Square in Kitchener on Wednesday night.  A sellout crowd should send a strong message that, even if Kitchener is a hockey town, there is demand for high quality shows in this area.
(02-21-2020, 09:28 AM)jgsz Wrote: I have often heard that Kitchener is a hockey town.  And it probably is.  However, you may have trouble convincing the sellout crowd that saw DANCE ME / MUSIQUE DE LEONARD COHEN by Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal at the Centre in the Square in Kitchener on Wednesday night.  A sellout crowd should send a strong message that, even if Kitchener is a hockey town, there is demand for high quality shows in this area.

I wish that CITS programming included a stronger dance component.
(02-21-2020, 01:03 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(02-21-2020, 09:28 AM)jgsz Wrote: I have often heard that Kitchener is a hockey town.  And it probably is.  However, you may have trouble convincing the sellout crowd that saw DANCE ME / MUSIQUE DE LEONARD COHEN by Les Ballets Jazz de Montréal at the Centre in the Square in Kitchener on Wednesday night.  A sellout crowd should send a strong message that, even if Kitchener is a hockey town, there is demand for high quality shows in this area.

I wish that CITS programming included a stronger dance component.

That would be nice.  But what I would really like to see is a professional theatre company.  Unfortunately you can't just buy one.  Too bad that Theatre and Company folded.  I miss them a lot.
(02-23-2020, 08:25 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(02-21-2020, 01:03 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I wish that CITS programming included a stronger dance component.

That would be nice.  But what I would really like to see is a professional theatre company.  Unfortunately you can't just buy one.  Too bad that Theatre and Company folded.  I miss them a lot.
Green Light Arts are doing some pretty great things, as are MT Space. Check them out if you're not familiar with them Smile

(02-23-2020, 10:23 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(02-23-2020, 08:25 AM)jgsz Wrote: That would be nice.  But what I would really like to see is a professional theatre company.  Unfortunately you can't just buy one.  Too bad that Theatre and Company folded.  I miss them a lot.
Green Light Arts are doing some pretty great things, as are MT Space. Check them out if you're not familiar with them Smile

Thanks.  I know of MT Space but I never heard of Green Light Arts.  I looked at their web page and it looks promising.  And they have a new home in The Conrad Centre for the Preforming Arts.  That's excellent news.
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/986...ion-plans/

Coles notes for those who don't pay for the record. It is recommended the city buy the BMO building on the corner of queen and king for museum expansion. The museum has to raise 10 million from private donors to facilitate a 25 million dollar potentially 5 story expansion on the site.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »