Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Arts and Culture News
Speaking of cinema, the Kitchener Central Library has a (free, I think) showing of "Saturday Night Fever" this Saturday afternoon at 2pm. It seems the Library is planning to make good use of its refurbished theatre.

(10-02-2014, 10:54 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 10:46 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Exciting news - the e-Record is reporting that the former Hyland Cinema on Ontario St at Duke (most recently Chrysalids) will re-open as a cinema.  This is great news for Downtown!

Look who's posts are showing up!  Great to hear from you.

And especially with such great news.  This was one of the major things I had on my list of downtown needs.

Congrats on finally being able to make posts panamaniac!

I'm very pleased there will be a cinema within walking distance downtown!  Next? Grocery store ??  Please! [Image: biggrin.gif]
Am I understanding right, this is only a single theatre correct?
Just a single screen, yes.

Every time I've been there for the anime festival, I would say to myself "Why can't this be a theatre all the time?"

Between this, and Adventurers Guild, there will really be no reason to ever leave Ontario St.
What is it that you love about it?
The old Hyland was quite a nice theatre. The lobby was fairly spacious for a theatre of that size, if I recall correctly. The new cinema (would they dare call it the Duke Cinema, or is that too cheeky?) will be a second run house, like Imagine Cinemas in the Frederick St mall, although film distribution rules apparently ensure that they won't be showing the same films. One of the new owners is involved in getting TIFF films out to Ontario cinemas, so we might see some of that. I wonder if it won't occupy a bit of middle ground between the Princess Cinemas and the Imagine Cinemas? It would be great to have a Downtown venue for serious film and not just the Hollywood stuff.

By the way, if anyone hasn't been to the Imagine Cinemas since they were refurbished, it's worth checking out. The seating is not the most comfortable, but the fact that the got the seats from Graumans Chinese Theatre in LA is just so cool!
I hope there's a good balance between the serious stuff and Hollywood stuff.

For the theater to be a success it's got to cater to everyone, which means more of the latter.

I checked on-line to see what was playing at the cinema in Toronto that is owned by the purchasers.  There is a bit of overlap with the films shown at Princess Cinemas, more than anything else.  That may be why the Record report points out that the film distribution rules treat Kitchener and Waterloo as two different markets (i.e. there could be duplication, unlike with Imagine Cinemas).
(10-03-2014, 03:59 PM)panamaniac Wrote: That may be why the Record report points out that the film distribution rules treat Kitchener and Waterloo as two different markets (i.e. there could be duplication, unlike with Imagine Cinemas).

Some may consider Kitchener and Waterloo to be one large conurbation, but someone in the movie business doesn't seem to think so. I wonder how a market like Toronto is divided up.
A chance to see a production of "The Importance of Being Earnest" and to check out the renovated theatre in the UofW Modern Languages Building. Thursday to Saturday, Nov. 13 to 15, at 7:30 p.m.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/4977...roduction/
I was interested to see that St Andrew's Presbyterian, on Queen St at Weber,was today installing Timothy Schmalz's sculpture "Whatsoever you do" (aka Begging Jesus) outside its main entry.  I believe that a Waterloo church has plans to install his even better-known "Homeless Jesus" in the near future.  I believe that that will make for at least four bronze sculptures by this local artist on display in K-W.  Schmalz also did the Firefighters Memorial in the Civic District and the Veterans Memorial in Veterans Green in Waterloo.

[Image: kdmycp.png]

I found a short piece about it on-line:

http://video.theloop.ca/news/top-stories...GPXXmd0yUk
KW Musical Productions is putting on The Drowsy Chaperone at The Registry Theatre. It runs Nov 5-16.
A good week ahead for live music in K-W. Maxwells is opening in their new location on the 10th and (with any luck) the Boathouse should be opening as well.

(12-07-2014, 05:49 PM)panamaniac Wrote: A good week ahead for live music in K-W.  Maxwells is opening in their new location on the 10th and (with any luck) the Boathouse should be opening as well.

According to 570 News "the Boathouse music venue in Kitchener’s Victoria Park is set to open for business on New Year’s Eve."
My wife and I visited the Christkindl Market at Kitchener City Hall on Sunday. Great time, and a ton of vendors, food and performances. There didn't seem to be as much focused on German culture as I thought there would be, but it was well attended and there were some great Christmas ornaments and decorations to be had. We went down late morning, so it wasn't as hopping as Saturday or Friday. It's these festivals/traditions that make us so glad that we moved into this city.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »