Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Yes, 270! This one

[Image: 6J3XaSs.jpg]

(06-06-2023, 12:42 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Yes, 270! This one

When did you take the photo? The window now has NEO Architects logos on it, and they have their office furniture set up inside. It does not look like it's about to be torn down and redeveloped.
That's from Google. There are a dozen watermarks all over it.

Anyway, the NEO office isn't closing. There is a 7 floor residential and commercial building going up on the empty plot beside it. It was approved year. I posted a thread about it months ago though for some reason it didn't get much attention: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1705
(10-10-2022, 05:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Construction is under way at 293 King St E. Three (narrow!) stories, retail on the bottom and residential on the top two. Concrete block construction should see this one finished relatively quickly.

Eight months later, it looks pretty good. Even balconies!

What a great little bit of infill!
The townhouses at 183 Victoria St N are nearly done from the looks of it. Saw one listed for $919,000 online.

(06-06-2023, 12:42 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Yes, 270! This one

[Image: 6J3XaSs.jpg]

(06-07-2023, 01:31 PM)ac3r Wrote: That's from Google. There are a dozen watermarks all over it.

Anyway, the NEO office isn't closing. There is a 7 floor residential and commercial building going up on the empty plot beside it. It was approved year. I posted a thread about it months ago though for some reason it didn't get much attention: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...p?tid=1705

My bad! I was told it was the "2 story building next to the market that had been recently renovated with wood interiors", and this was the only one I could think of. Not sure which building she was referring to, then!

(06-03-2023, 04:57 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: The Building beside the right side of the Iron Horse trail on Gage (McGillivray Trenchless) is now vacant. I'm thinking some sort of development will probably be in the works. I looked on both the development application site and land owner site and didn't find any info.
There is now a listing for the property.

"Freestanding industrial building adjacent to the Iron Horse Trail. The property is zoned R-6 allowing for residential development, however can be occupied by an industrial user as a legal non-conforming use in perpetuity. The building features large oversized doors with drive through bays. The Seller has completed a Phase 2 on the property which can be made available to parties who execute a Confidentiality Agreement. (66115904)"
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/25682...-kitchener
(06-07-2023, 03:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-10-2022, 05:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Construction is under way at 293 King St E. Three (narrow!) stories, retail on the bottom and residential on the top two. Concrete block construction should see this one finished relatively quickly.

Eight months later, it looks pretty good. Even balconies!

It sounds even more fantastic in the real estate sales blurb (asking price: $2.99M).

Quote:Situated in the revitalized Market District of Kitchener, this newly constructed three-story, mixed-use development is a prime commercial and residential investment opportunity. The ground floor of the building offers a spacious 1,482 sq. ft. commercial space. The second and third floors consist of residential units, comprising four 394 sq. ft. bachelor units and two 701 sq. ft. one-bedroom units respectively. With occupancy slated for August 2023, this property is ideally located for easy access to a variety of local amenities including the Kitchener Market, restaurants, cafes, grocery stores, parks, and the LRT station, enhancing the appeal for prospective tenants. Tech sector employees from industry giants such as Google, Communitech, Apple, and OpenText will find the location particularly advantageous. The property showcases an exquisite architectural design featuring a striking exterior, vaulted ceilings on the third floor, and attractive interiors. The inclusion of numerous balconies and common areas further enhances the appeal. Due to the high standard of construction, no foreseeable capital expenses are expected in the short to mid-term, making this a compelling investment prospect.
(06-09-2023, 05:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote: commercial and residential investment opportunity

It would be nice to read "new commercial and residential space" or something, rather than "investment opportunity" which always translates to some likely foreign born multi-millionaire capitalist seeking to fleece everyday people out of money. But I guess with these insane housing costs and a government that wants us all to be poor, most people buying anything are investors.
(06-09-2023, 06:20 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(06-09-2023, 05:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote: commercial and residential investment opportunity

It would be nice to read "new commercial and residential space" or something, rather than "investment opportunity" which always translates to some likely foreign born multi-millionaire capitalist seeking to fleece everyday people out of money. But I guess with these insane housing costs and a government that wants us all to be poor, most people buying anything are investors.

Yes, investors is basically who the listing was targeted at. But that's almost always the scenario for selling a multi-residential building, individual (potential) homeowners can't buy an entire building (that's what the condo corporations are intended to address).
There's a little midrise project proposed for 1154 Queens Boulevard. 3 floors, 10 units, a shit load of parking and wasted space. Typical North American development. Yawn.

[Image: S5e7jRD.jpg]
(06-12-2023, 01:59 PM)ac3r Wrote: There's a little midrise project proposed for 1154 Queens Boulevard. 3 floors, 10 units, a shit load of parking and wasted space. Typical North American development. Yawn.

[Image: S5e7jRD.jpg]

Someone hasn't gotten a cost consultant report! 0% chance this has positive income. They're either going to realize down the line and panic, or get ready to put cash in every month for the next 15 years

30 Duke West being converted from office to residential. Site plan application submitted

SP23/047/D/ES Proposing to convert floors 3 – 10 from office to residential (128 units).s
I wonder where Service Ontario will move.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »