Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
And yet neither the VPNA or CPNA would have ever gotten out of their chairs to start a 'development committee' advocating for more as-of-right low to mid-rise multi-res in their neighbourhoods in the name of affordable housing they say they support. If it weren't these towers, they would be spending their time on every 660 Belmont that came up instead.

Proposal whack-a-mole is never going to solve a demand side problem, sorry. Maybe the councillors alarmed by downtown development could spend the effort on motions to re-balance incentives to lower density in greater numbers, but they know that isn't going to be accepted by the NIMBYs either.

What makes me angry is that the newspaper is going to uncritically post their "we care about affordable housing" lies.

And councillors are going to pander to their viewpoints.

All while people die on our streets.
The association is coming in hard with straight facts. How does one overcome this strong argument against the proposal?

“There are easily 12 units in this building, and by the look of it, I would say these people have lived here for a long time,” said Nickels of the doomed building at 142 Victoria St. S.
(04-05-2023, 12:13 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: What makes me angry is that the newspaper is going to uncritically post their "we care about affordable housing" lies.

And councillors are going to pander to their viewpoints.

All while people die on our streets.

It’s not like homeless and yoy rent increase data is easy to find*, don’t be so mean to poor local journalists who are just trying to find local news “balance”.

* oh wait it’s everywhere online, except for newspaper headlines
local cambridge weirdo
Quote:The group supports the city’s Official Plan, and its Urban Design Manual, approved by city councillors after years of work by city staff. Those two key planning documents call for livability, sustainability, a range and mix of housing, pedestrian-friendly streets and a tree canopy.

But Nickels said that’s not happening along Victoria Street South, and she feels frozen out of key discussions about her neighbourhood’s future.

Well, she had me in the first half...
Exclamation 
(04-05-2023, 10:39 AM)bravado Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 10:36 AM)ac3r Wrote: Peggy Nickels looks exactly like you'd expect her to look like.

There should be a new name for “someone who hasn’t paid rent or mortgage payments for 20+ years and still has an opinion on housing policy”.

There is: privileged.

I have a few more but it isn't very PC.
(04-05-2023, 01:20 PM)KevinL Wrote:
Quote:The group supports the city’s Official Plan, and its Urban Design Manual, approved by city councillors after years of work by city staff. Those two key planning documents call for livability, sustainability, a range and mix of housing, pedestrian-friendly streets and a tree canopy.

But Nickels said that’s not happening along Victoria Street South, and she feels frozen out of key discussions about her neighbourhood’s future.

Well, she had me in the first half...

"Frozen out of key discussions about her neighbourhood's future"...

She's quoted in the fucking paper! She is in fact, the ONLY one in the discussion.

I will agree that Victoria isn't a liveable street, but her group isn't arguing for it to be a liveable street...she is arguing for it to be a museum, fixed in time, never to change.

The street needs a road diet, some bike lanes, and a whole lot of trees, but they aren't asking for that...and I will eat my hat if they didn't oppose that if it was proposed.

(04-05-2023, 02:40 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 01:20 PM)KevinL Wrote: Well, she had me in the first half...

"Frozen out of key discussions about her neighbourhood's future"...

She's quoted in the fucking paper! She is in fact, the ONLY one in the discussion.

I will agree that Victoria isn't a liveable street, but her group isn't arguing for it to be a liveable street...she is arguing for it to be a museum, fixed in time, never to change.

The street needs a road diet, some bike lanes, and a whole lot of trees, but they aren't asking for that...and I will eat my hat if they didn't oppose that if it was proposed.

Victoria on a road diet from Walnut all the way to Bruce would be a thing of beauty - 3.5km of separated bike lanes to cut across town fast. You could link up so many parts of the cycling grid, you could install pedestrian crossings in key areas so that people feel like they can actually cross the street in useful places without getting mowed down, and you'd get great connectivity to the transit hub. Add in some trees so that the walk/ride isn't so windy and exposed to the sun, and we might have a real winner.
Sounds awesome. Plus, with the road narrowed down, it slows the overall speed of the traffic to a reasonable limit and stops the selfish people from weaving in and out of traffic. improved safety for all modes of transportation. That's a win win for everyone. I can get behind that plan any day.
(04-06-2023, 09:50 AM)SF22 Wrote:
(04-05-2023, 02:40 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: "Frozen out of key discussions about her neighbourhood's future"...

Victoria on a road diet from Walnut all the way to Bruce would be a thing of beauty - 3.5km of separated bike lanes to cut across town fast. You could link up so many parts of the cycling grid, you could install pedestrian crossings in key areas so that people feel like they can actually cross the street in useful places without getting mowed down, and you'd get great connectivity to the transit hub. Add in some trees so that the walk/ride isn't so windy and exposed to the sun, and we might have a real winner.

Yes. One of my common commutes is Victoria & IHT west through to Westmount. It's not awesome, though not as bad as riding Bridgeport to Lancaster used to be. But you are right that the Walnut to Bruce segment would be a lot more useful to a lot more people than the segment I ride. That would be great.
Is there a thread for across the road from 1100 Courtland, the hill property between Block Line Station and the rail yard? I don;t teh proper address and couldn't find anything.
(04-13-2023, 04:28 PM)Bytor Wrote: Is there a thread for across the road from 1100 Courtland, the hill property between Block Line Station and the rail yard? I don;t teh proper address and couldn't find anything.

Virerra Village:
https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...hp?tid=736
624 KING ST W - Property for Sale - King & Wellington - Looks like previous projects for this site will not be going forward...maybe something better
$8,000,000

624 KING ST W
Waterloo, Ontario N3G0E3
MLS® Number: X6027823

Description

Attention Builders & Investors! ( Joint Venture Only With Registered Tarion Builder Would Be Considered). Rare Opportunity To Invest In A Site-Plan Approved & Permit-Ready Dev. In The Heart Of Downtown Kitchener W/Total Of 34 Units Across 2 Buildings-1 Three-Storey Building W/15 Units & 1 Four-Storey Building W/19 Units. Located 500 Ft From Google & U Of W School Of Pharmacy, W/Lrt At Your Doorstep. Zoning Allows For Both Condos & Rental Apt. Buildings, Providing Ample Options. The Property Sits On A Vacant Lot Measuring Approximately 0.31 Acres & Has Already Received Site Plan Approval From City Of Kitchener. The Units Range From 587 Sq Ft To 1316 Sq Ft, With Private Terraces For Each Unit. The Four-Storey Building Is Designed With An Elevator, And There Are 23 Underground Parking Spaces In A Single Level Underground Parking Garage For Both Buildings. All Services Are Inside The Property Line, Including Hydro, Sewer, Gas, And More. The Property Is Within Walking Distance Of Shops,**** EXTRAS **** Restaurants, & Provides Quick Access To Go Station & Highways. Upon Accepted Offer, Seller Will Provide Site Plan And Site Stats, Building Permit, Zoning By-Law Approval, Draft Plan Approval, Geotach Report, Appraisal Report, And Survey. (31499441)

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/25471...w-waterloo

I Really Do Not Understand Why Realtors Feel That They Will Be More Successful By Capitalizing Every Single Word In Their Property Descriptions. 😡
Right? I couldn't even be bothered to read that.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »