Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
I was curious about how to start a train diesel engine. Here's one thing that's on the Internet.

https://www.irfca.org/docs/wdm2-starting.html

It looks like there is some monitoring of status which could presumably be automated but which is not currently. Otherwise, it is a bunch of switches.

Seems like Ziggy’s is fully moved out from their Victoria king location? So what’s next for the old ziggys? Another condo? I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything with regards to potential developer?
(03-28-2023, 11:52 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: Seems like Ziggy’s is fully moved out from their Victoria king location? So what’s next for the old ziggys? Another condo? I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything with regards to potential developer?

It was sold to Van Mar. There's been lots of conversation about it here, including proposed heights.
Ziggy’s Cycle sets up new shop in old industrial building

https://archive.ph/pC3SD
I wish them great continued success..
Pino's Salon is moving from their Victoria St location to 1458 Weber Street East (formerly Teknik) on May 16, as per an email they sent out to all clients this week. They have apparently been on Victoria for 22 years; you have to wonder if the encampment next door was finally too much for them.
(03-28-2023, 11:52 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: Seems like Ziggy’s is fully moved out from their Victoria king location? So what’s next for the old ziggys? Another condo? I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything with regards to potential developer?

VanMar now owns the property and will be building a skyscraper there, though probably not for a while considering they still have Station Park to complete first...followed by 10 Duke West and then a project uptown Waterloo on Erb.

(03-29-2023, 01:44 PM)ac3r Wrote:

VanMar now owns the property and will be building a skyscraper there, though probably not for a while considering they still have Station Park to complete first...followed by 10 Duke West and then a project uptown Waterloo on Erb.

That’s true. when should we expect renders?
(03-29-2023, 09:48 PM)jordan2423 Wrote:
(03-29-2023, 01:44 PM)ac3r Wrote: VanMar now owns the property and will be building a skyscraper there, though probably not for a while considering they still have Station Park to complete first...followed by 10 Duke West and then a project uptown Waterloo on Erb.

That’s true. when should we expect renders?

No idea. You could try reaching out to VanMar and see if they have up to date ones, though they may not have any available yet. This assumes they have completed the actual architectural CAD work and have rendered anything based off those. But they could still be in the design phase of things.
In the upcoming Heritage Impact meeting for Kitchener, there is a report re: the AR Goudie Home at 369 Frederick. Looks like they want to expand on the existing long-term care building, and build a new retirement home on the big empty lot out front closer to Frederick, for an additional 276 beds between the two. Concept site plan is preliminary from March 2022, page 32 of the report. Page 36 has a rendering of what the new building would look like, and it seems to be heavily inspired by the original House of Industry and Refuge, which I think is amazing. There's a bunch of info here about the site, why the existing building is 'heritage,' and the history of the site as the House of Industry and Refuge as well https://pub-kitchener.escribemeetings.co...entId=9460
It's a perfect location and it serves a growing need. The information about the Eby farmhouse (how many Eby farmhouses are there in town, I wonder?) across Frederick St is interesting.
Citizens feel unheard as Victoria Street undergoes big changes
As Kitchener towers proliferate, residents wants to see city’s Official Plan defended
(04-05-2023, 10:14 AM)Acitta Wrote: Citizens feel unheard as Victoria Street undergoes big changes
As Kitchener towers proliferate, residents wants to see city’s Official Plan defended

It looks like the VPNA got word of 200 Victoria proposal. Prepare for the onslaught on opposition and delegations at Council meetings lol

https://archive.is/TIpJe

Peggy Nickels looks exactly like you'd expect her to look like.
(04-05-2023, 10:36 AM)ac3r Wrote: Peggy Nickels looks exactly like you'd expect her to look like.

There should be a new name for “someone who hasn’t paid rent or mortgage payments for 20+ years and still has an opinion on housing policy”.
local cambridge weirdo
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »