Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
The second one looks good. It reminds me of a lot of midrise buildings in places like Germany or Austria.

I always got a European vibe too.
Apparently Hacienda took $800k in event deposits and claimed bankruptcy - no recourse for the people?

Is this being followed by media at all?
Construction still continuing at furious pace in Kitchener

"From June 2019 to June of this year, the city issued permits for 3,672 residential units. That’s almost triple the number of units built the year before, when permits were issued for 1,302 units."
Another one bites the dust.

Just walked by Symposium uptown Waterloo - lease terminated.

Mostly because new Boardwalk location you reckon?
(10-28-2020, 07:10 PM)Acitta Wrote: Construction still continuing at furious pace in Kitchener

"From June 2019 to June of this year, the city issued permits for 3,672 residential units. That’s almost triple the number of units built the year before, when permits were issued for 1,302 units."

Notably 2,745 multi-residential units. This is what I am able to come up with, but I am clearly missing some (one of the Garment buildings, likely)
  • Drewlo - 488
  • Market Flats - 72
  • 387 King St E - 60
  • DTK - 300
  • Charlie West - 300
  • Garment St (27F) - 319
  • Young Condos - 306
  • 1430 Highland Rd W - 76
That's only 1,921, so the one missing Garment St building is not enough. Station Park, Ophelia and Civic 66 are all after the end of June.
A ton of outside the urban area dev? Does this include the plethora of townhouses and mid rises?

Full disclosure i have not read the article...

(10-28-2020, 09:39 PM)Momo26 Wrote: A ton of outside the urban area dev? Does this include the plethora of townhouses and mid rises?

that 2745 does not include town house but includes the midrises.

Another one that isn't on Toms list is 1425 blockline road which has 363 units and 663 victoria street south which has 92 units
so then we're only missing 369 units. the other 100 vic tower got its permit in 2018 so it won't count.
(10-28-2020, 09:42 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 09:39 PM)Momo26 Wrote: A ton of outside the urban area dev? Does this include the plethora of townhouses and mid rises?

that 2745 does not include town house but includes the midrises.

Another one that isn't on Toms list is 1425 blockline road which has 363 units

Thanks! If Garment St is 300, that's getting pretty close.

As for 2020-21, the projects that already under way add up to almost 1000 units, not including ones that have not started at least excavation yet.
(10-28-2020, 09:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 09:42 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote: that 2745 does not include town house but includes the midrises.

Another one that isn't on Toms list is 1425 blockline road which has 363 units

Thanks! If Garment St is 300, that's getting pretty close.

As for 2020-21, the projects that already under way add up to almost 1000 units, not including ones that have not started at least excavation yet.

the second tower got its permit in december of 2018 so it wouldn't solve the number. if it was issued in june of 2019 it would solve it.
I was wondering if Elevate Condos was counted, but apparently those 4 towers will have close to 550 units. I'm not sure when they issued permits for it, though, however they did start demolition and construction of the sales centre in 2019.
(10-29-2020, 09:45 AM)ac3r Wrote: I was wondering if Elevate Condos was counted, but apparently those 4 towers will have close to 550 units. I'm not sure when they issued permits for it, though, however they did start demolition and construction of the sales centre in 2019.

They don't have a permit issued yet for the actual tower construction.
Understood!

It's a bit annoying how the process works. They've got the land, developed a massive project, demolished the old building, cleaned the site up, built a sales centre, started advertising yet don't have the permit.

(10-29-2020, 10:46 AM)ac3r Wrote: Understood!

It's a bit annoying how the process works. They've got the land, developed a massive project, demolished the old building, cleaned the site up, built a sales centre, started advertising yet don't have the permit.

Sales centre permit was applied for in June 2020, issued in September 2020. Demolition permit was applied for at the end of 2019, issued early March 2020.

The construction permit was applied for sometime in 2020, but the public system won't show the actual dates until the permit is issued. Based on the application number, I'm guessing that it was submitted sometime in the spring.
(10-29-2020, 11:20 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-29-2020, 10:46 AM)ac3r Wrote: Understood!

Sales centre permit was applied for in June 2020, issued in September 2020. Demolition permit was applied for at the end of 2019, issued early March 2020.

The construction permit was applied for sometime in 2020, but the public system won't show the actual dates until the permit is issued. Based on the application number, I'm guessing that it was submitted sometime in the spring.
Have public meetings been held? (are they required?)
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »