Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Pictures of the inside of the bunker can be seen here.

Renovations of the former Frankie's appear to be progressing well. I'm assuming it's the same landlord as 271 next door. Certainly looks like a quite an upgrade from the previous state of the property.

Definitely an improvement. Cleaner looking, at least.
Is 271 a popular place during regular times? I've never had someone bring it up or recommend it during conversation, unlike most downtown restaurants.
(10-17-2020, 04:24 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Is 271 a popular place during regular times? I've never had someone bring it up or recommend it during conversation, unlike most downtown restaurants.

Went there once a couple of years ago. Was fine.
(10-17-2020, 04:24 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Is 271 a popular place during regular times? I've never had someone bring it up or recommend it during conversation, unlike most downtown restaurants.

It seems to get recommended all the time on the Facebook food group. It's generally pretty busy Friday and Saturday nights.

It's not the best pasta I've had (that's definitely Willibald), but their gnocchi is pretty tasty.
I agree, I do love their gnocchi. Pizzas are pretty good, too. And they are very flexible in case you want to substitute a different type of pasta, for example. (They do make all the fresh pasta on the premises.)

What's opening up here? Sorry I may have missed it...
https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...-fund.html

Investment in Kitchener. Where do you feel this money would be BEST spent and how do you feel about it coming from the sell off of City owned property? (Is this land that was going to be sold anywase at some point to the right developers to bring in what we seek as is?)
I don't know where all the City-owned land is located, but I think there might be benefit in more public discussion of whether any of it should be reserved for public housing.
(10-19-2020, 11:00 AM)Momo26 Wrote: What's opening up here? Sorry I may have missed it...

I don't think there's any announced tenant. I suspect they're fixing up the storefront before leasing.

(10-19-2020, 12:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I don't know where all the City-owned land is located, but I think there might be benefit in more public discussion of whether any of it should be reserved for public housing.

The article says
Quote:The city plans to sell vacant land, such as the former Bramm Street works yard in the Innovation District, and parking lots throughout the downtown, over the next 10 years.

So it seems like mostly land that we were expecting to get sold anyways. I just hope they don't sell the entire Bramm St yards in one go, to some slowly-built master-planned development.
(10-19-2020, 12:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I don't know where all the City-owned land is located, but I think there might be benefit in more public discussion of whether any of it should be reserved for public housing.

The city is prioritizing affordable housing now, so whether they reserve some land now or sell the land and use the funds to fund the construction more affordable housing, the end goal is more or less the same.
(10-19-2020, 12:38 PM)taylortbb Wrote: So it seems like mostly land that we were expecting to get sold anyways. I just hope they don't sell the entire Bramm St yards in one go, to some slowly-built master-planned development.

Unless it’s to someone like Momentum. They seem to get stuff done fast. Auburn, or Andrin, for example, some of us would be dead by the time they finish Bramm.

I still remember the original $110 million EDIF. Man, the impact that that had.
(10-19-2020, 02:17 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 12:38 PM)taylortbb Wrote: So it seems like mostly land that we were expecting to get sold anyways. I just hope they don't sell the entire Bramm St yards in one go, to some slowly-built master-planned development.

Unless it’s to someone like Momentum. They seem to get stuff done fast. Auburn, or Andrin, for example, some of us would be dead by the time they finish Bramm.

Even though Momentum builds faster, I think it's better for the city for it to not end up all with one developer. The city should be the one planning the street grid, making sure it integrates in to the trails and roads surrounding the site. The city also has the opportunity to ensure it becomes a good mix of retail, residential, and office. Master planned developments always end up kind of boring.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »