Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(03-26-2024, 09:55 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(03-26-2024, 09:34 PM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Wowzers! ZE where did you find this? ^

I've been digging through all the public comment documents for Growing Together, there's hundreds of pages worth, there's a pile of development proposals within it, along with your typical NIMBY nonsense, if even half of them come to fruition there will be a lot of height to come. A few of the proposals are definitely quick mock ups for justifying certain zones in Growing Together, (SGA-3 instead of SGA-2, or SGA-4 instead of SGA-3) but there are definitely some that are deemed "complete applications" by the City so we might see some site plan applications or ZBA applications soon.

Once I've gone through all the documents I'll make a post with a summary of them all, thankfully it's not all Vive, some of the renderings certainly look very promising. I'm also working on a 3D model of the future skyline so I'll include all of these proposals in it as well, that will just take a while to complete.

You're a champ, that's amazing work you're doing! Really interested to see what you dig up!

(03-26-2024, 08:35 PM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(01-20-2024, 08:14 PM)Square Wrote: The old CTV building has a sold sign on it.

Vive is the owner of this, they now have a early concept for the site, it will certainly will make midtown tall to say the least (55 floors (green), 44 floors(pink), 38 floors(blue), 16 floors(orange)). Sorry for the poor quality concept plan.

Thanks for digging thing through the details!  Unfortunately [attachment=8696] doesn't load for me.
It seems that in addition to the really large project Vive has proposed near the hospital, they have brainstormed further development of property they also own downtown. These include:
  • 46-56 College Street - A 32 floor tower.
  • 58 Weber Street West - A 32 floor tower.
  • The long, skinny parking garage at the Crowne Plaza that fronts Charles - A 20 floor, long and skinny tower.

The two proposed at College and Weber are interesting. Vive renovated the 2 historic buildings on College, so I would speculate that they don't have any intent to turn these properties into a tower anytime soon.

The one on Weber is similar in that it was renovated in recent years. This may also be hard to redevelop because if I remember correctly, both of those buildings are heritage protected. If anyone recalls, they ended up getting painted black back in maybe 2015. They tried doing the second one and had to stop before getting half of the job done because they realized they couldn't do it. I think...I forget the details. It was reverted back, thankfully. These are actually very nice old buildings, so I'd hate to see them demolished for a shitty Vive tower. What they could do, though, is plop a mid or high rise tower in the back where the parking lot is and then put the parking in the podium. There's more than enough space. 1/3rd that city block is parking lots.

The Crowne Plaza property they have proposed is interesting due to the size. News to me that Vive owns this. It's long, but very skinny. Does anyone from Vive lurk this forum? Hit me up when you need an architect, I'd make a really cool building in that space. Working within constraints is very fun. I'd have a living wall and the most badass CORTEN sculptural facade, something that thousands of people going by in the LRT each day would notice, along with staggered heights to the building so it doesn't become a huge wall... :'p

I won't bother making a thread for any of these, they are very clearly not proposals they expect to happen anytime soon and more studies/information they provided to the city for studying zoning compliance if they ever do go ahead with redeveloping these properties. The Crowne Plaza one is likely to possibly see light of day in the future since it's just a parking garage, but there is no detailed proposal for anything yet. I'd prefer to see them finish at least a couple of the 8 thousand other projects they have been planning for years.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »