Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
General Urban Waterloo Updates and Rumours
(06-08-2022, 03:21 PM)ac3r Wrote: That's a shame. SRM Architects designed that so I was hoping it was dead. Maybe it'll get redesigned but either way, I'm sure it'll look bad.

Edit: This does a good job explaining why we keep getting bad designs - late state capitalist architecture:

[Image: M5Irl2V.png]

[Image: 9DaiXAH.png]

Curious as to what changed from your positive outlook on the design from three years ago? Is it from seeing the outcome of other SRM projects (i.e., DTK) deviate significantly compared to the original renders?
[Image: onf6Q8S.png]

30 Union West is closed down and fenced up. Anyone know if there is a proposal for development yet?
(06-09-2022, 04:18 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: 30 Union West is closed down and fenced up. Anyone know if there is a proposal for development yet?

You mean 30 Union East, the professional building? (30 west would be on the SunLife property.)
Found this photo looking from Uptown towards Northdale on the GRT twitter to be a (somewhat depressing) family photo of Northdale developments. Waterloo really needs some better architecture between there and Uptown...

(06-09-2022, 10:23 PM)cherrypark Wrote: Found this photo looking from Uptown towards Northdale on the GRT twitter to be a (somewhat depressing) family photo of Northdale developments. Waterloo really needs some better architecture between there and Uptown...

I took this photo recently, and started questioning which buildings were finished and which were still under construction (I don't come here often, but it's not a great thing to be wondering!)

[Image: Ebhz0Wf.jpg]
(06-09-2022, 03:46 PM)CP42 Wrote: Curious as to what changed from your positive outlook on the design from three years ago? Is it from seeing the outcome of other SRM projects (i.e., DTK) deviate significantly compared to the original renders?

It was hard to tell from the renders at the time, so it looked "clean" and simple. Then SRM Architects continued to build more stuff over the years and it became obvious that their work is always terrible.

I retract my statement...hah.
Yikes at those two pictures of Waterloo. They've destroyed their city. Not surprised that so many people there are NIMBY after seeing what has happened in neighbourhoods all over their city.

*rolls eyes*...

Yes, some of the architecture isn't amazing.

No, the city isn't "destroyed".

Lmao...no, no, that's not what is driving NIMBYism...that honestly made me chuckle.
This seems like what you get if you don’t allow development to spread out and be diffuse.

NIMBYs can rage all they want at this situation that they caused by not allowing medium density everywhere.
local cambridge weirdo
The few blocks from John to Bridgeport or so should be fine. But those buildings in the distance ... Sad
I have no information on this, but VanMar Developments appears to be planning another condo project - this time in uptown Waterloo, located at Erb and Regina: https://vanmardevelopments.com/erb-and-regina-waterloo/

I wasn't sure if there was a thread for this, so I'm dumping it here.
I suspect that's why Le Shin Swah closed. I heard the property was sold to a developer, but not who.
(06-17-2022, 11:29 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I suspect that's why Le Shin Swah closed. I heard the property was sold to a developer, but not who.

Nope. The VanMar project will be at the opposite corner: the house with the cool overhang (which is boarded up), Gina's hair salon, and the property behind. Gina's owned all of those properties and appears to have sold them to VanMar. Gina's is actually a real estate company now, they are assembling land in other parts of Uptown as well. Very smart move on their part.

(06-10-2022, 08:18 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: *rolls eyes*...

Yes, some of the architecture isn't amazing.

No, the city isn't "destroyed".

Lmao...no, no, that's not what is driving NIMBYism...that honestly made me chuckle.

Destroyed is a stretch but as a university student I avoid the area at all costs outside of going to class. It really is borderline unlivable in a lot of places. 

I've been to many a developing country who's mid tier cities feel nowhere near as bleak and oppresive as Waterloo. 

It's not the reason there are nimbys but it certainly throws fuel on the fire.
Was this (potential) proposal ever discussed here?
Office development on Caroline Street between the Seagram Lofts and LRT stop.

https://www.dhrendering.com/low-rise/#prettyPhoto

[Image: RrMuJoH.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »