Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Business Updates and News
(09-05-2021, 05:35 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 01:56 PM)jamincan Wrote:  I would personally be surprised to see any of them expand here unless one of them acquired a local company (as Google originally did).

Facebook has been pretty aggressively recruiting remote employees in KW during Covid. If it hit critical mass they might open an office.

I understand that in general Facebook recruits Waterloo grads pretty aggressively although historically they usually end up in California.

(09-05-2021, 05:42 PM)plam Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 05:35 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Facebook has been pretty aggressively recruiting remote employees in KW during Covid. If it hit critical mass they might open an office.

I understand that in general Facebook recruits Waterloo grads pretty aggressively although historically they usually end up in California.

Definitely, a huge number of people from my graduating class went to Facebook (and Google, and Microsoft, and ... UW is a top school for everyone).

But I was thinking more of Facebook's recruiting of experienced engineers. They've been rather unwilling to leave me alone this past year, no matter how many times I turn them down there's another message from another Facebook recruiter a few weeks later. Many of my friends report similar experience in KW.
Ditto to the above….they seem to be hiring for Washington state right now
(09-05-2021, 06:55 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 05:42 PM)plam Wrote: I understand that in general Facebook recruits Waterloo grads pretty aggressively although historically they usually end up in California.

Definitely, a huge number of people from my graduating class went to Facebook (and Google, and Microsoft, and ... UW is a top school for everyone).

But I was thinking more of Facebook's recruiting of experienced engineers. They've been rather unwilling to leave me alone this past year, no matter how many times I turn them down there's another message from another Facebook recruiter a few weeks later. Many of my friends report similar experience in KW.

Hmm, at some point like 8 years ago I was getting a bunch of recruiter emails from Google until I asked them to put me on a don't recruit list and then I haven't heard again. I've gotten no FB emails, but that's probably because I don't have any peers at FB.
(09-05-2021, 10:41 PM)plam Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 06:55 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Definitely, a huge number of people from my graduating class went to Facebook (and Google, and Microsoft, and ... UW is a top school for everyone).

Hmm, at some point like 8 years ago I was getting a bunch of recruiter emails from Google until I asked them to put me on a don't recruit list and then I haven't heard again. I've gotten no FB emails, but that's probably because I don't have any peers at FB.

Who did you contact to ask them to stop? I haven't had success with stopping any of them (Google, Christie Digital, Sandvine and Microsoft). To add insult to injury, I also get those scam calls from the CRA and the Duck cleaners.
(09-08-2021, 12:53 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(09-05-2021, 10:41 PM)plam Wrote: Hmm, at some point like 8 years ago I was getting a bunch of recruiter emails from Google until I asked them to put me on a don't recruit list and then I haven't heard again. I've gotten no FB emails, but that's probably because I don't have any peers at FB.

Who did you contact to ask them to stop? I haven't had success with stopping any of them (Google, Christie Digital, Sandvine and Microsoft). To add insult to injury, I also get those scam calls from the CRA and the Duck cleaners.

Seems like phone calls have become unusable in the last year and a half, a failure of regulation somehow.

For Google recruiter emails, I just told one of them to stop mailing me, and they all did. There is probably some sort of internal system there at least.
The gas station at Margaret and Guelph will be Mobile Esso's value brand Global.
There is also a sign on the building for Pizza Bites. So get your pizza and gas in one convenient stop.

From the Mobile site
For locations that don’t quite fit the Esso or Mobil brands, we offer a flexible, low-cost alternative in the Global Fuels gas station brand.

Speaking of gas stations, does anyone know what is going in the old Petro Canada at Victoria & Edna? It looks like another station, but the lack of signage to advertise coming soon seems odd.

Coke
Big Grin 
(09-08-2021, 12:53 AM)jeffster Wrote: To add insult to injury, I also get those scam calls from the CRA and the Duck cleaners.

Duck cleaners? Don't they know that water just slides right off a duck's back? ???
Not a business update, but economic nonetheless. Region expects to raise taxes 6.8 percent to meet financial pressures: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...sures.html
(06-08-2022, 09:56 AM)ac3r Wrote: Not a business update, but economic nonetheless. Region expects to raise taxes 6.8 percent to meet financial pressures: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...sures.html

Now, now, let's not be alarmist: the same article did suggest that the tax hike might only be 5.5%. Wink This works out to between $121 and $132 per average household. I don't know what the average household taxable value is for the  Region.

(For information: The 2022 budget increase was 4.56% or $96/average household (1.26% for the police and 3.30% for everything else))
That's in the range of inflation in any case.
The Shopify sign on the Seagram building was taken down today.

Do they have any brick and mortar presence here now?
(06-09-2022, 04:56 PM)KevinL Wrote: Do they have any brick and mortar presence here now?

If I recall correctly: they have a bunch of staff in the area, but all working remote. They might no longer have any office space?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »