Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Business Updates and News
(03-31-2015, 11:45 AM)nms Wrote: The article could have stood for more vigorous fact-checking.  For instance, I do believe that the Perimeter Institute is home to the "Stephen Hawking Centre" and not the "Stephen Hawkins Institute".

At least the caption for the photo on the top right is correct, "Completed in 2011, the Stephen Hawking Centre by Teeple Architects is a major expansion of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo that more than doubles the size of the existing facility."

(03-31-2015, 12:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote: What would you consider to constitute contributions to the social fabric of the Region? ...

IMO the vision to see beyond a few years (or in the case of politicians, to the next election) has been an even more fundamental contribution. Back in the 1950s and 1960s new universities were popping up everywhere in Ontario and elsewhere. But only Hagey and Needles were able to see the need for a new university based on a co-operative education model that needed a parcel of some 1,000 acres of land. 

It must be in something like the DNA or the drinking water because that early vision has been refined and expanded over the years by many others, including David Johnston, Mike Lazaridis, Carl Zehr, et al. 

I wonder who's going to carry the torch forward.

(03-31-2015, 11:45 AM)nms Wrote: That aside, I would be interested to know more about how the movers and shakers in the high-tech/start-up/entrepreneurial economy contribute to the social fabric of the Region beyond starting a company and creating jobs. 

Well the Perimeter Institute, as an entity at least, certainly contributes to the community through its outreach programs, public lectures, festivals, and creative event horizons programming.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(03-31-2015, 06:48 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(03-31-2015, 11:45 AM)nms Wrote: That aside, I would be interested to know more about how the movers and shakers in the high-tech/start-up/entrepreneurial economy contribute to the social fabric of the Region beyond starting a company and creating jobs. 

Well the Perimeter Institute, as an entity at least, certainly contributes to the community through its outreach programs, public lectures, festivals, and creative event horizons programming.

And its annual series of concerts that bring world-class talent to town.
(03-31-2015, 06:48 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:

CIGI, the Balsillie wing of the GRH, the Savvas Chamberlain Foundation, Desire2Learn support of the KWS, the Hallman Foundation, Open Text has been a sponsor of KWS in the past, it's rumored that certain RIM executives anonymously rose up to the occasion when funds were short for some good causes. Other businesspeople have done similar things, for example, anonymously funding the ice rink at the Waterloo Public Square.

I'm sure there are many other examples.
(03-31-2015, 12:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote: What would you consider to constitute contributions to the social fabric of the Region?  Major donors to local charities, infrastructure, educational facilities and cultural amenities and events?  Check.  Pressing the provincial government to move forward with better rail links to Toronto?  Check.  Carrying the Region brand around the world?  Check.  Taking a principled stand against the development of autonomous weaponized robotics?  Check (Bravo, Clearpath!).  Serving as mentors to, and investors in, new startups?  Check.

So far, I would say they have established a pretty credible record.  I hope that it will be sustained with the newest generation, as they grow their businesses.  Everything that I have seen indicates that it is generally understood that building a strong community is part of the Region's continued success.

I was asking as a matter of interest with no idea of what the actual contribution of the current generation of entrepreneurs and business owners was.  Let's hope the drinking water supply holds up, whatever we're drinking in this area continues to make Waterloo Region a vibrant place.
(04-01-2015, 11:04 AM)nms Wrote:
(03-31-2015, 12:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote: What would you consider to constitute contributions to the social fabric of the Region?  Major donors to local charities, infrastructure, educational facilities and cultural amenities and events?  Check.  Pressing the provincial government to move forward with better rail links to Toronto?  Check.  Carrying the Region brand around the world?  Check.  Taking a principled stand against the development of autonomous weaponized robotics?  Check (Bravo, Clearpath!).  Serving as mentors to, and investors in, new startups?  Check.

So far, I would say they have established a pretty credible record.  I hope that it will be sustained with the newest generation, as they grow their businesses.  Everything that I have seen indicates that it is generally understood that building a strong community is part of the Region's continued success.

I was asking as a matter of interest with no idea of what the actual contribution of the current generation of entrepreneurs and business owners was.  Let's hope the drinking water supply holds up, whatever we're drinking in this area continues to make Waterloo Region a vibrant place.

It is unfashionable, these days, to put things in such terms, but one hopes that our entrepreneurial class has taken to heart the lesson of the Faithful Servant:

For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.
CTV Kitchener reported this evening that Dare Foods has purchased the former Blackberry plant on Cherry Blossom Rd in Cambridge. It was suggested that Dare may comment on its plans sometime next week. A major expansion? A move from the Kitchener site? Olther? I wonder.

CTV Kitchener is reporting that, according to the union, Lear Corporation may be getting ready to close the Lear Canada plant on Manitou Dr in Kitchener. Not surprising, if true, as the plant has been in decline for a number of years now and is down to a single contract, for Chrysler.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/kitchener-au...-1.2331019
Foreign exchange provider Afex sets up southwestern Ontario office in Kitchener
Waterloo Region Record

By Rose Simone

KITCHENER — A global non-bank provider of foreign currency services, Afex, is setting up an office in Kitchener to serve businesses in southwestern Ontario.
The California-based company, one of the largest non-bank providers of foreign currency and risk management solutions, recently appointed Mike Elliott, a 25-year veteran in the industry in Canada, as the regional director for the Afex southwestern Ontario office.
Elliott will lead a team, initially with about five people, in an office that will open on May 1 at 55 King St. W., in the TD Canada Trust Business Centre building in downtown Kitchener.
Elliott said Afex provides foreign exchange payment services to companies of all sizes, with a strong focus on the small to midsize enterprises.  ....

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5576...kitchener/
Canadian Tire today opened the "CT Digital Garage" in the space formerly occupied by the Little Bean Coffee Shop. They will continue to operate their "innovation lab" in the Communitech Hub. The Digital Garage will employ 35 to 40 people, according to an article in today's Record.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5601...kitchener/
(04-16-2015, 06:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: CTV Kitchener is reporting that, according to the union, Lear Corporation may be getting ready to close the Lear Canada plant on Manitou Dr in Kitchener.  Not surprising, if true, as the plant has been in decline for a number of years now and is down to a single contract, for Chrysler.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/kitchener-au...-1.2331019

The Record says the union is confirming that the Kitchener Lear plant will have no more work when the current contract is complete and will therefore close down.  They are apparently down to only 155 employees.   Still, it's sad to see yet another manufacturing company with a long local history die of neglect.
From today's Record:

Civilian Screen Printing

For the past seven years, Civilian Screen Printing and Apparel has operated out of downtown Kitchener at 1 Queen St. N., but as of the first week of May, it relocated to 100 Ahrens St. W. (off Victoria Street near the Via Rail train station).

Curt Crossman, who owns the business with his brother Cory Crossman, said the business is expanding and needed more space. The new location is almost triple the size of what they had.

The new location is in the building that houses Opus II music store.  I hope this move means that renovation of the building at King and Queen Sts is getting closer to reality.
Thats good that they could find a home there. I think there was some discussion on here at one point about that building at 100 Ahrens, glad it's found a purpose.

(05-07-2015, 07:01 AM)Spokes Wrote: Thats good that they could find a home there.  I think there was some discussion on here at one point about that building at 100 Ahrens, glad it's found a purpose.

There's a guitar repair service in the building as well.
The Record is reporting that Kitchener company Ontario Glove and Safety has acquired Huck Glove. Huck is not saying what will become of their building at 120 Victoria St S., but repurposing into high tech space would seem inevitable.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5606...egic-fit-/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »