Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours
(05-13-2021, 07:41 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-13-2021, 06:58 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Choosing your government is a right, choosing the government for someone else is a will.

Are you referring to the First Nations band councils and elected chiefs? If yes, each First Nation does have the ability to choose a traditional chief rather than electing one. Quoting Wikipedia:
Quote:The functioning of a band is controlled by the Indian Act, the legislation that defines the position of status Indians. The band government is controlled by a chief councillor and council. The number of councillors is determined by the number of band members, with a minimum of two in addition to the chief councillor. The Indian Act specifies procedures for the election of the chief councillor and council. Some bands make use of a policy provision (called 'custom election', which allows them to exempt themselves from these requirements in order to follow traditional procedures for the choice of leaders.

On the other hand, the province strictly controls the process of electing municipal and regional councils. I think this actually fits your description better.

Actually my comment was in reference to BJays93 statement that the logical conclusion of my position is that if 3% of the population supported an authoritarian government, that we'd all have to submit to their will because they're a minority and choosing one's government is a right.

I'm not taking an absolutist position here, and I really don't know enough about the First Nations governance, or the Indian Act to have an opinion about that, beyond the fact that historically we have not respected their rights or sovereignty and I really don't get the sense that we've entirely solved those problems today either.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours - by danbrotherston - 05-13-2021, 08:58 PM