Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours
(05-13-2021, 06:58 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-13-2021, 06:41 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: Maybe you should stop and listen to what ac3r, an actual indigenous person, h ad to say, instead of speaking from your position of white privilege on how minorities should be treated. 

Minority rights are important absolutely, it's why they are literally written into our bill of rights and freedoms which is entrenched in our constitution. My comments on minority vs majority protest had nothing to do with race and ethnicity you inferred that. I was just saying as a general principle when it extends beyond peaceful protest to civil disobedience I think the time thats most acceptable is when a large portion, not 1 or 2% of people, support whatever is being protested about. 

Also an oil pipeline that was approved by the elected leaders of indigenous reserves has nothing to do with basic human rights, since that's the specific example we have been discussing. 

Despite being white, I've actually had the experience of being a minority and have had people be extremely racist towards me growing up in Asia. I am still incredibly privileged and recognize that, and I am in no way saying I have had the experience of minorities that have been oppressed for hundreds and thousands of years, but I do have just a sliver of an idea as to what it's like. 

If these were easy problems to discuss and fix then they wouldnt still be problems. Yes we cant allow the majority to trample on the minority, but as ac3r said, having a minority rule can be equally as problematic. Until your willing to acknowledge this there's no point in even having a discussion.

Edit: also define what on earth constitutes to a minority cuz I guess if 3% of canadians support an authoritarian government the 97% who support democracy should have their wills take a back seat. Yay authoritarianism (yes that's an extreme but it's the natural end result of your logical line of thinking)

Your edit is ridiculous...you absolutely know that's not what I said, it is not the result of my logical line of thinking, and I don't appreicate you saying it is.

If 3% of the population want to vote for an authoritarian party, they have that right, and they do in fact exercise that right, as much as I disagree with it.

Choosing your government is a right, choosing the government for someone else is a will.
Ok so what happens when two minority "rights" clash? Are minorities only defined by ethnicity or are there other factors like, political ideology, religion etc?

Also define choosing the government for someone else? Are the majority not choosing the government for the minority. 

Basic human rights are basic human rights and they should be universal, regardless of majority opinion, but as soon as an issue goes beyond that nothing and no one should take precedence other than the will of the majority (which in this context can include peoples from minority groups because the will of the majority is the collective of all canadians or all peoples of a country) 

My edit was to make a point, it's like people who claim to be moral relativists but then say its objectively wrong to murder someone. You simply cant make that argument as moral relativist (note I'm not trying to call you a relativist I'm just using an example to articulate myself)

You also conveniently ignored the rest of my response however this discussion is clearly not worth our time.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours - by Bjays93 - 05-13-2021, 08:45 PM