Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours
(05-09-2021, 12:15 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(05-09-2021, 10:16 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: Do you genuinely think that assuming that a community of exclusively or nearly exclusively white landowners might be racist is absurd? In a country still controlled by the people who colonized it and not the traditional land guardians?

Just for the record, I did not colonize this country, nor did I participate in its colonization. I was born here and have just as much right to be here as anybody else. More than that, few if any people who colonized this country are still alive. We all have to learn to live together; that doesn’t mean we can totally ignore the legacy of colonialism, but the idea that descendants of Europeans have some sort of inherited guilt is ridiculous, and more importantly, unhelpful.

That being said, I think jamincan overstated the case: it’s important not to jump to the conclusion that opposition must be racist, but it’s not absurd to consider that it might be.

The decendents of colonizers have every right to be here yes, and no, should not feel guilty for being here.

However, the decendents of colonizers absolutely have benefitted from the colonial history of the country, and is on us to use that privilege to help correct those historical wrongs. Individuals absolutely SHOULD feel guilty for THEIR actions if their actions continue the legacy of harm and colonialism by doing things like using their colonial derived privilege to advocate against housing for other groups.

We cannot live together until account for the past harms, and everyone gets an equal opportunity.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General Urban Cambridge Updates and Rumours - by danbrotherston - 05-09-2021, 12:54 PM