Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London Development
Apparently London is also experiencing a building boom.
Tower power: Inside downtown London's unprecedented building boom

(08-02-2020, 11:31 PM)Acitta Wrote: Apparently London is also experiencing a building boom.
Tower power: Inside downtown London's unprecedented building boom

Those are some impressive buildings. I am wondering what is all spawning this growth? Is it the BRT? And if it is, one has to wonder if a 'real' BRT should be added to our Ion system. I am thinking of Victoria BRT in Kitchener and University BRT in Waterloo. Possibly along parts of Victoria they can go guided tracts by the rail system to avoid some of the narrow stretches. Also a second route in Cambridge that would go through the Delta.
That's impressive. It makes our building boom look small since they have a few 40 floor buildings in the works.
(08-03-2020, 10:43 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: That's impressive. It makes our building boom look small since they have a few 40 floor buildings in the works.

I wouldn't go that far. For a real comparison against here you should compare London to KW, not just Kitchener. I think we're building far more units between uptown and downtown.
(08-03-2020, 10:43 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: That's impressive. It makes our building boom look small since they have a few 40 floor buildings in the works.

We have a lot more 'in the works' too. But we're not getting the paper to do a nice summary. Examples could include the proposed complex by the Blockline LRT, and the Schneiders redevelopment.

Also not making lots of news are all the developments for the universities.

Granted we don't have a lot of buildings that are going to be toping 40 floors. That might change, but for now, closest we have is DTK and the development by Blockline.

I also know there might be some developments coming up for the Conestoga College area, that would be between 20 and 40 floors. That stuff is further down the pipeline though, and obviously covid-19 is putting a dent into things.
Things are looking better in London.
In London's fight for urban space, cars are about to lose some of their footing
(06-24-2022, 11:22 AM)Acitta Wrote: Things are looking better in London.

Not Just Bikes may stop having to hate on his home town of Fake London soon.

(06-24-2022, 11:28 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(06-24-2022, 11:22 AM)Acitta Wrote: Things are looking better in London.

Not Just Bikes may stop having to hate on his home town of Fake London soon.

Oh, I think London's a little ways off from that.

London definitely is making some good moves.

I do think however that London is in many ways similar to KW. Neither is actually experiencing a building "boom" at all. Maybe it's up a little from the last few years but it really isn't a boom historically. The difference is that it's visible development rather than periphery sprawl that we've had before.

This is why we have a housing shortage despite people being convinced there's a huge amount of development.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »