Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The evolution of KW
(01-22-2016, 08:13 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Definitely doesn't make my thoughts about buying into the building any easier.

I would see it the other way around: you get an apartment and an eventual huge cash payout when the parking lot is developed.

(01-21-2016, 02:48 PM)Memph Wrote: And then there's just the big bulk of the building. IMO height is not so important as width for these kinds of things. Most of the time people are looking forward or sideways, not up, so there isn't really that much of a difference between a 4 storey building or a 40 storey building. However, when you have a big building that's almost 100m wide, that's a rather long walk next to a building where what's in your field of view isn't changing. Especially due to the lack of setbacks and narrow sidewalks, if you're on the north side of King, the Kaufman building is going to take up the entire half of your field of view, with the asphalt of King taking up much of the other half (and up until 1-2 years ago some low slung buildings).

I walked this today, for the express purpose of observing the perimeter.  The parking lot is better than the average parking lot, thanks to the landscaping, but it's still a parking lot.  That won't change until/unless there is further development of the property.

The building has four different segments facing King, built in 1925, 1910, 1911 and 1920, as I recall.  The oldest parts are better, as there is more brick detail, making for a somewhat more interesting facade.  Two entrances do break up the street wall, but not much else.  First floor is too high for retail, though, and the basement (how is it used?) windows are obscured.  Some improvements could be inexpensive: mount some greenery on the columns, and do something (glass murals/stained glass/something) with the basement windows.  These could be done for less than $100 per unit, I expect, easily handled by the condo corporation should they wish to do so.

That said, the other half of the view (or really about two thirds) is not just the street, it's also the buildings beyond the street, on the other side.  1 Victoria will make this more interesting when finished, and there are other interesting buildings on the adjoining blocks (UW Pharmacy, TD Bank).

So for me, while not fantastic, it's not awful, either (although maybe my standards are too low?).  And it could be improved if the condo owners wish to do so.
I must add "The Flyover" from Highway 7 West to Highway 8 East c. 2004.

While it might not seem significant to the urban form of the KW, the first 3-level stack highway interchange is a significant event IMO. 

The terrible loop ramp/cloverleaf here before was beyond terrible and it's hard to imagine The Expressway functioning today without this ramp built.

Here's a before and after photo of the interchange.
(01-25-2016, 06:51 PM)The85 Wrote: The terrible loop ramp/cloverleaf here before was beyond terrible and it's hard to imagine The Expressway functioning today without this ramp built.

Absolutely - the 'weave' there was downright dangerous.
It still is. Traffic in lane 2 is always almost at a standstill at 4:30 while lane 1, 3 and 4 whizz by at 90+ km/h. It is much, much better though than it was - I breathe a huge sigh of relief every day when I get off 401 onto 8 and it opens up into 3, then 4 lanes. It's absolutely fantastic, and sort of unfathomable that a region as "small" as ours has such a massive freeway running right straight for the core.
(01-25-2016, 08:30 PM)Canard Wrote: It's absolutely fantastic, and sort of unfathomable that a region as "small" as ours has such a massive freeway running right straight for the core.

A nice flyover to be sure, but after almost 40 years living in the region (both cities, and in Woolwich), I positively love being able to "go straight" to go home (in downtown Kitchener). Smile
(01-25-2016, 08:12 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 06:51 PM)The85 Wrote: The terrible loop ramp/cloverleaf here before was beyond terrible and it's hard to imagine The Expressway functioning today without this ramp built.

Absolutely - the 'weave' there was downright dangerous.

Now if we could just do something about the southbound 85 Erb Street on-ramp/Lancaster off-ramp combo...

(01-26-2016, 10:49 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 08:12 PM)KevinL Wrote: Absolutely - the 'weave' there was downright dangerous.

Now if we could just do something about the southbound 85 Erb Street on-ramp/Lancaster off-ramp combo...

It's not great but the traffic levels at those exits are just a fraction of the 7/8 interchange.  In six years of commuting to work via that interchange, I never saw even one accident there.  Does anyone know where to find accident stats for that one?
(01-26-2016, 12:43 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 10:49 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Now if we could just do something about the southbound 85 Erb Street on-ramp/Lancaster off-ramp combo...

It's not great but the traffic levels at those exits are just a fraction of the 7/8 interchange.  In six years of commuting to work via that interchange, I never saw even one accident there.  Does anyone know where to find accident stats for that one?

As someone who uses that interchange as their primary access to southbound 85, I can tell you there are definitely collisions there on a regular basis. I've had some near misses myself! And it's not only the collisions there that are concerning, but it seems that interchange and the merging traffic is responsible for the late day southbound congestion on 85. It usually backs up to Conestoga Mall.
Bicycle lanes; ca. mid-00's

For over fifty years city council approached the universities and its students as a disease that needed to be kept in check. For example University Ave. is zoned commercial throughout its original length except when close to university where it was mandated to remain residential, lest a university look and feel were to develop. An even more egregious example was the lack of biking facilities in town. We are blessed with wide roads near the two universities which could easily have accommodated cycling lanes with minimum cost, and indeed when the finally the decision was made to add cycling lanes, they quickly spread through the region. Sadly, they are still underutilized, but they are a good first step towards a cycling infrastructure in the city.
(02-14-2016, 03:51 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Bicycle lanes; ca. mid-00's

For over fifty years city council approached the universities and its students as a disease that needed to be kept in check. For example University Ave. is zoned commercial throughout its original length except when close to university where it was mandated to remain residential, lest a university look and feel were to develop. An even more egregious example was the lack of biking facilities in town. We are blessed with wide roads near the two universities which could easily have accommodated cycling lanes with minimum cost, and indeed when the finally the decision was made to add cycling lanes, they quickly spread through the region. Sadly, they are still underutilized, but they are a good first step towards a cycling infrastructure in the city.

I remember that Keats Way between Fischer-Hallman and Erbsville was one of the first streets in KW to get bike lanes. They had them in the mid 1990s.
(02-14-2016, 04:33 PM)The85 Wrote: I remember that Keats Way between Fischer-Hallman and Erbsville was one of the first streets in KW to get bike lanes. They had them in the mid 1990s.

There was also one on Seagram Dr, between Albert and Waterloo Park.
There still are bike lanes on Seagram in that stretch.

With respect to segregated vs. onroad bike lanes, when both options were being considered the last time University Ave was redone, I understand that there was a strong push from the commuting community to have onroad bike lanes (that would ensure faster bike travel speeds) vs. multi-use, segregated bike lanes.
I don't remember any discussion of the possibility of segregated bike lanes when University Ave was redone between Lincoln and Weber. They couldn't even build full-width on-road bike lanes. Aside from myself, I have never seen another cyclist using them.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »