Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
A friend was just told that excavation is going to start this summer. Has anybody heard anything? There is nothing new that I can find online.

There was a fire last night at the office building that still remains on the site.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/fire-at-for...-1.5886037
That's a shame, but at least it's vacant and more or less gutted on the inside. I wonder what the cause was. Squatters might have been taking up residence there.
Someone died here yesterday (I'm guessing they overdosed): https://kitchener.citynews.ca/police-bea...er-5350953
Virtual meeting, Aug 24

I thought this was already approved? Guess I'm out of the loop.
(08-15-2022, 04:21 PM)ac3r Wrote: I thought this was already approved? Guess I'm out of the loop.

The last public meeting was in 2019 where they showed preliminary plans. The demolition took longer than expected because of a dispute with the first company doing it, so things got delayed.

This one meeting is to be the extent of public input? That seems inadequate.
(08-15-2022, 05:14 PM)panamaniac Wrote: This one meeting is to be the extent of public input?  That seems inadequate.

This is the second one.

In any case, it greatly depends on how many variances they are requesting from the zoning ...
I thought it was approved too. Guess not.

Over/under on completion date? 2034?
(08-16-2022, 08:10 AM)Spokes Wrote: I thought it was approved too.  Guess not.

Over/under on completion date?  2034?

100% over. I would say over/ under completion date of 2045 and I would still pick over.
(08-16-2022, 08:10 AM)Spokes Wrote: I thought it was approved too.  Guess not.

Over/under on completion date?  2034?

It's 15-20 buildings, is it not? Two years each, give or take, and only two or three under construction at a time, I would guess. So, late 2030s seems likely.

Of course, much depends on how much they can realistically do at the same time. Funding, engineering, construction management, subtrades, materials -- is it even realistic to build three at a time, given how hard it is to get most of those today? I think not for now, maybe it will speed up once Barrel Yards wraps up and they free up those people.
(08-15-2022, 02:45 PM)Acitta Wrote: Virtual meeting, Aug 24

Do you have a link to this neighbourhood meeting? I can't find it on the city's website. Thanks!

I’m surprised this hasn’t gotten redesigned yet being it’s been in the works for so long, usually projects get a redesign along the way
(08-16-2022, 09:41 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(08-15-2022, 02:45 PM)Acitta Wrote: Virtual meeting, Aug 24

Do you have a link to this neighbourhood meeting? I can't find it on the city's website. Thanks!

See "additional meeting details" in the image.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »