Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
General University Area Updates and Rumours
(01-28-2022, 05:38 PM)ac3r Wrote: Things aren't as black and white as you imagine them to be. Call me objectively wrong all you want if that helps, but I'm really not.

You literally said "you can't" X, Y and Z with a bike and you're calling me black and white? I'm not sure whether that's hubris or just lacking in self-reflection.

(01-28-2022, 05:38 PM)ac3r Wrote: but the truth is people still need and want vehicles and we need the infrastructure to support that.

It's like you don't read what people are writing on this topic, and you do this all the time.

(01-28-2022, 05:38 PM)ac3r Wrote: It's just naive and ignorant to think you can just cut all of that out and force everyone onto bikes.

See? Nobody said that, or even anything close to it. That's a strawman and you make these quite frequently.

But you are the one who says you can't do all these tasks on a bike.

(01-20-2022, 09:10 PM)ac3r Wrote: But people often need to do other things in their day - pick up groceries, friends, elderly parents, their children from daycare etc. You can't carry home a ton of groceries on the bus, nor can you carry your child home on a bike.

Just because you arrogantly dismiss it as an anecdote doesn't mean things like panniers, trailers and cargo bike don't exist and they don't enable people to get groceries.

(01-29-2022, 11:13 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Free ?  I think fuel taxes were implemented in the past specifically to offset road construction... Nothing is free...  one look at the amount of money the government takes of my pay is good evidence things aren't free..

Fuel taxes don't pay for municipal road construction.

And OMG I just wish this argument would die. I see it so often and it is so incorrect.
Sonny’s at 256 Weber is for sale for $2,955,000.
(05-10-2022, 04:05 PM)CP42 Wrote: Sonny’s at 256 Weber is for sale for $2,955,000.

I better get a burger there before it is gone!
I can imagine that Conestoga College would want to snap up the Sonny's property if they can make it work. They probably have a 30-year plan to target any properties that come up for sale in the block bounded by Weber, University and Marsland.
(05-10-2022, 08:26 PM)nms Wrote: I can imagine that Conestoga College would want to snap up the Sonny's property if they can make it work.  They probably have a 30-year plan to target any properties that come up for sale in the block bounded by Weber, University and Marsland.

I was hoping they would buy the property on the corner, but only the air rights for Sonny’s. Then build a new building right over Sonny’s while leaving the business operating. Waterloo isn’t Waterloo without Sonny’s.
(05-10-2022, 07:53 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 04:05 PM)CP42 Wrote: Sonny’s at 256 Weber is for sale for $2,955,000.

I better get a burger there before it is gone!

I had burgers there twice (gave it a second chance), and they were truly two of the worst burgers I've ever had. I don't get the hype around them, unless it's just nostalgia I don't get.

(05-10-2022, 09:10 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 07:53 PM)Acitta Wrote: I better get a burger there before it is gone!

I had burgers there twice (gave it a second chance), and they were truly two of the worst burgers I've ever had. I don't get the hype around them, unless it's just nostalgia I don't get.

I think it is a nostalgia thing. I am not a fan personally, they are a bit rubbery. Taste slightly better then a harveys burger are twice the cost. Anyone on this sub remember Stanley's It used to be across the street from laurier on king st.
(05-10-2022, 09:10 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 07:53 PM)Acitta Wrote: I better get a burger there before it is gone!

Well, it ain't your high-priced hipster burger joint. It is your basic old-fashioned independent burger joint. It has been there a long time, so somebody must like them.
CTV article about Sonny's. The owner hopes that whoever buys it will keep the restaurant going. That seems a lot to expect for the price.
Waterloo landmark Sonny's is for sale. Here's the listing price.
(05-11-2022, 07:10 PM)Acitta Wrote: CTV article about Sonny's. The owner hopes that whoever buys it will keep the restaurant going. That seems a lot to expect for the price.

Yeah, that's really rather disingenuous. Not that I blame them for listing it for what it's worth, but they clearly aren't seeking to sell the business.
(05-11-2022, 07:25 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-11-2022, 07:10 PM)Acitta Wrote: CTV article about Sonny's. The owner hopes that whoever buys it will keep the restaurant going. That seems a lot to expect for the price.

Yeah, that's really rather disingenuous. Not that I blame them for listing it for what it's worth, but they clearly aren't seeking to sell the business.

Well, of course a bleak 25-storey tower with a tiny ground floor commercial unit could accommodate Sonny's  Big Grin
Designed by SRM, no doubt! Big Grin Hashtag made in Waterloo.

Couldn’t find a thread but this is what’s going up at King and Hickory. Another classic 

[attachment=8301]
(07-28-2022, 11:33 AM)Lebronj23 Wrote: Couldn’t find a thread but this is what’s going up at King and Hickory. Another classic 

Surprised at the number of parking spaces… usually around the university it’s very few compared to the number of units.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »