Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vogue Residences (née District Condos) | 21 + 14 fl | U/C

(03-25-2021, 07:57 AM)welltoldtales Wrote: Did we lose the glass box around the historic house with this new design?

Sure looks like it, eh?

Good intentions are rarely there, and usually just for show. This seems to be the case here.
(09-23-2021, 12:28 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 07:57 AM)welltoldtales Wrote: Did we lose the glass box around the historic house with this new design?

Sure looks like it, eh?

Good intentions are rarely there, and usually just for show. This seems to be the case here.

I feel like those museum exhibit inclusions are almost a 100% chance of getting nixed later. Theres just no benefit to bringing some old house into a snow globe vs. proposals that suggest to turn it into actual functional space/shops.
It was part of the original proposal which the city denied I believe.
Drove past this site today and noticed signage for “Vogue Residences”. The same sign appears to be there in the last photo I posted
[Image: 94oiUIa.jpg]
Drove by this building the other day. It actually turned out quite well. The parking podium is unique and I like the colours they chose.

Agree. It's quite an attractive building.
It’s the best building in the university area BY FAR
How about a photo, then?
UT has a better thread on this building than we do Smile https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/vo...cts.33197/
It looks like trash.
I’ll take a pic next time I’m by. I just haven’t posted images here in forever because I hit the upload limit and can’t afford to pay for a premium account.

I respect you’re opinion acer but idk how on earth this building is trash. It’s not great or anything but name one building nearby that looks better, I’ll wait. Not a high bar but I’ll take what wins we can get. This uses precast brick instead of shitty concrete panels, has colour thanks to the use of red brick, has a podium that integrates with the street better than almost anything around it. Has decent balcony glass and I’d argue some of the best massing in the area as well.

Just look at what’s across the street or up down the road for that matter.

I can't name any because they're almost all bad in Waterloo Region. I especially can't name any modern student building that looks good...I mean look at them. It's all the same generic precast rubbish and weird designs. Many are already visibly degrading. There is no thought that goes into the design at all for any of these projects and no will to ensure they either look good or are constructed well.

It's true for the rest of the region too. Really, none of these new condo or apartment buildings look that nice. A few have good designs like the upcoming Station Park towers, the skyscrapers going up around Park Street and the one where the bike shop is but most everything else is just awful or really generic. Look at Duke Tower for example...that was the first true skyscraper and it is absolute shit.

There are a lot of old buildings in the region that are really well done for sure, though we can kind of group those in a different category due to their age. But to me there are almost no new buildings I can honestly say look good. I like 345 King West, Idea Exchange Post Office, Canadian Clay and Glass Gallery, UW Cambridge Architecture Campus, Idea Exchange Hespeler, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, John M. Harper Branch of WPL, Balsillie School of International Affairs and some others not mentioned. Some of these are even quite old, such as the Clay and Glass Gallery which was opened in 1993 but because it was designed by a real architectural firm - Patkau Architects - you can walk into it today and it looks like it could have been designed yesterday.

I know I'm a snob when it comes to architecture, design and art but...that's what I do I guess, so I can't really look at a building and genuinely give it any points for not being as bad as it could have been. Best I can say about some of the new ones is that they aren't offensive.
(07-11-2023, 06:09 PM)ac3r Wrote: I can't name any because they're almost all bad in Waterloo Region. I especially can't name any modern student building that looks good...I mean look at them. It's all the same generic precast rubbish and weird designs. Many are already visibly degrading. There is no thought that goes into the design at all for any of these projects and no will to ensure they either look good or are constructed well.

It's true for the rest of the region too. Really, none of these new condo or apartment buildings look that nice. A few have good designs like the upcoming Station Park towers, the skyscrapers going up around Park Street and the one where the bike shop is but most everything else is just awful or really generic. Look at Duke Tower for example...that was the first true skyscraper and it is absolute shit.

There are a lot of old buildings in the region that are really well done for sure, though we can kind of group those in a different category due to their age. But to me there are almost no new buildings I can honestly say look good. I like 345 King West, Idea Exchange Post Office, Canadian Clay and Glass Gallery, UW Cambridge Architecture Campus, Idea Exchange Hespeler, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, John M. Harper Branch of WPL, Balsillie School of International Affairs and some others not mentioned. Some of these are even quite old, such as the Clay and Glass Gallery which was opened in 1993 but because it was designed by a real architectural firm - Patkau Architects - you can walk into it today and it looks like it could have been designed yesterday.

I know I'm a snob when it comes to architecture, design and art but...that's what I do I guess, so I can't really look at a building and genuinely give it any points for not being as bad as it could have been. Best I can say about some of the new ones is that they aren't offensive.

I mean, fair enough. I agree almost everything built here is utter shit and I do find it disappointing and frustrating. 

Even the first phase at station park, while a lot better than most others, is still the epitome of mediocrity. I can’t really think of anything in this city that falls into the high rise category that I actually think is well done. There’s a fair amount of decent looking midrises including relatively new ones like Breithaupt Block or 345 King West. 

That said, this building really doesn’t bother me all that much. It’s not great but if I had to point out one high rise I like, especially in Waterloo, this would be it. 

I really do wish we would get some higher quality builds tho. At bare minimum I want some decent podiums and street level integration. In general though I’d just like to see bigger Toronto firms that are not TF and Kirkor working in the region. Yes there better then local firms, but they’re still bottom of the bell barrel (at least these days) when it comes to Toronto. Give me IBI at least.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »