Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2015 Federal Election
(11-04-2015, 12:08 PM)jamincan Wrote: It looks like KW has a member in cabinet. Bardish Chagger will be Minister of Small Business and Tourism.

She'll definitely be a junior member of the cabinet, but let's hope she can be a strong voice for the region.

Such good news... I met Bardish at a non-political gathering last month, and she's great!
(11-04-2015, 02:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote: She'll definitely be a junior member of the cabinet, but let's hope she can be a strong voice for the region.

She has to start somewhere--and she's no Bill Morneau. Better still she's no Peter Braid or Steven Woodworth.

At least her portfolio (small business) relates to the needs of our region. Also her colleague Navdeep Singh Bains, the new minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, represents the nearby riding of Mississauga-Malton. So that's a one-two punch in support of regional economic interests like high-tech, startups, high speed rail, more fiber in our dietsthe ground Wink and so on.
She will be the youngest member of cabinet; and to the best of my knowledge, the first federal cabinet minister born in the 1980s.
Maryam Monsef is younger, born in 1985 according to Wikipedia.
I stand corrected.
(11-04-2015, 07:59 PM)jamincan Wrote: Maryam Monsef is younger, born in 1985 according to Wikipedia.

Yes ... another young one that I'm very impressed by.  We'll see how well she can ramp up to federal politics at the cabinet level.

Rookie MP Bardish Chagger faces innovation and taxation challenges in small-business portfolio 
Quote:In her role as Canada’s new Minister of Small Business and Tourism, Bardish Chagger, a 35-year-old first-time MP from Waterloo, Ont., is tasked with helping small companies thrive...

Based on the number of times she answers a question with "I'm [committed to] working [closely] with the Minister of Finance" it would seem Trudeau and Morneau have her on a very tight leash. Still it's better to be on a ministerial leash than warming the Opposition back benches.
(12-18-2015, 08:50 AM)ookpik Wrote: Rookie MP Bardish Chagger faces innovation and taxation challenges in small-business portfolio 
Quote:In her role as Canada’s new Minister of Small Business and Tourism, Bardish Chagger, a 35-year-old first-time MP from Waterloo, Ont., is tasked with helping small companies thrive...

Based on the number of times she answers a question with "I'm [committed to] working [closely] with the Minister of Finance" it would seem Trudeau and Morneau have her on a very tight leash. Still it's better to be on a ministerial leash than warming the Opposition back benches.

There's that, but also that it's not in her power to make those changes that she's asked about. The Minister of Finance controls the purse strings. I don't think she controls any money.
(12-18-2015, 10:37 AM)plam Wrote: There's that, but also that it's not in her power to make those changes that she's asked about. The Minister of Finance controls the purse strings. I don't think she controls any money.
Of course. But I'd expect a more experienced politician to refer to the government in general (remember "The Harper Government™"?) rather than to the MoF. And BTW she's a junior minister who reports to Navdeep Bains, the Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development.

Still, it's early days, she has much to learn and much to accomplish. I wish her and her colleagues every success in achieving their ambitious goals.
I think it's a credit that even with the her political inexperience, to have been made a junior minister. It's good for the region to have any influence, small as it may be, within the ministerial ranks in Ottawa.
Absolutely! I'm optimistic that she'll provide the region with better representation than her predecessor.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »