Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server Issues
I've only used Docker for personal projects, so I don't know too much, but with respect to the forum, it looks like there's an official MyBB Dockerfile: https://hub.docker.com/r/mybb/mybb/

I don't know what your current hosting setup is like, but if you are using a VPS or similar then running your backend services in Docker containers would (in theory) simplify setting up those services on a new host. I don't know what your technical knowledge level is, but to put it simply a Docker container is a bare minimum environment to run your program (myBB), but with your dependencies pre-installed (PHP for example). People have made public Dockerfiles for most popular programs out there, so your setup on a new host would be almost as simple as (1) install Docker, (2) Run myBB, your preferred database, nginx, etc from the public Dockerfiles.

In practice the setup would be slightly more complicated, as Docker containers are fairly isolated by default. Docker compose is a part of Docker that lets you bundle programs together (myBB, mySQL, etc), and exposes parts of them to each other, which would require some small configuration.

If you already have a system you are comfortable with, Docker probably wouldn't provide too much benefit. But once you are comfortable with Docker it can be nicer to work with, and it much more OS agnostic.
Sorry about the slight downtime today.  All good now though friends!
(11-01-2021, 06:40 PM)Spokes Wrote: Sorry about the slight downtime today.  All good now though friends!

Yeah, I did an oopsie.
(11-01-2021, 07:14 PM)plam Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 06:40 PM)Spokes Wrote: Sorry about the slight downtime today.  All good now though friends!

Yeah, I did an oopsie.

Thanks for getting Unicode working, though -- we can now go to town with emojis!

👍 😲 😂
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »