Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amalgamation
(05-30-2023, 09:36 AM)neonjoe Wrote: They did apply a countryside line around those rural centres at least. The townships will soon realize that they will not be able to grow their suburban pyramid scheme of sprawling suburbs if they abut the countryside line.

That is until we get a provincial government (Ford) that says those countryside line mean nothing and developers can continue to grow out. At least if the Region made included density requirements in the towns plans. They might actually start to building with that in mind. Unfortunately the Towns are falling for the same sprawl scheme as the cities. Elmira has basically decimated their downtown by allowing a shopping "plaza" filled with a sea of parking at the south end of town. It's sad to see rural planners continue to plan around the car. One of the main things I would like to see the Region do if amalgimated is remove parking minimums and restrictive zoning. These types of plaza's are such an underutilized use of space. They easily have double the amount of parking that is actually required.

(05-30-2023, 09:56 AM)westwardloo Wrote:
(05-30-2023, 09:36 AM)neonjoe Wrote: They did apply a countryside line around those rural centres at least. The townships will soon realize that they will not be able to grow their suburban pyramid scheme of sprawling suburbs if they abut the countryside line.

That is until we get a provincial government (Ford) that says those countryside line mean nothing and developers can continue to grow out. At least if the Region made included density requirements in the towns plans. They might actually start to building with that in mind. Unfortunately the Towns are falling for the same sprawl scheme as the cities. Elmira has basically decimated their downtown by allowing a shopping "plaza" filled with a sea of parking at the south end of town. It's sad to see rural planners continue to plan around the car. One of the main things I would like to see the Region do if amalgimated is remove parking minimums and restrictive zoning. These types of plaza's are such an underutilized use of space. They easily have double the amount of parking that is actually required.

Ugh, yuck. Seas of parking are so 1980s.
The appointment of the new facilitator for the region by the province has been delayed due to the resignation of Steve Clark.
Ontario to move ahead with regional government review without facilitators

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/2023/09/13...ilitators/

A committee will perform a study. Sigh.... We all know how these 'studies' go.... They get dragged out and then nothing happens....

we need to amalgamate KW and make it a one tier government. We are in a major crisis that needs quick action and efficiency.
Committee membership here:
https://www.ola.org/en/legislative-busin...43/members

8x PC, 2x NDP, 1x Liberal.
(09-13-2023, 07:31 PM)jordan2423 Wrote: we need to amalgamate KW and make it a one tier government. We are in a major crisis that needs quick action and efficiency.

I must have missed the quick action and efficiency demonstrated by Ontario's existing single-tier municipalities that rendered them immune (or at least more resilient) to the crisis.

Quote:He says the study should examine whether two-tier governments in those regions support or hinder the construction of new homes

Am I missing something here, are there cases where the upper-tier municipality has meaningful influence on housing approval and construction?
(09-13-2023, 07:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Committee membership here:
https://www.ola.org/en/legislative-busin...43/members

8x PC, 2x NDP, 1x Liberal.

Would it not at least make sense to have a committee that is made up of members from the areas being affected by the potential changes? Does someone who represents Ottawa or Thunder Bay really have a clue about what what regions like Niagara or Waterloo really need? I can see the argument of needing someone who has no idea about an area since they wouldn't have any attachments to it, but if the changes are going to affect people in a region shouldn't the region at least be represented within those decisions?

Yes, it would make sense. But politicians have no sense. That's why we're in the mess we're in.
Amalgamate the Cities into one city, take a small chunk of land from the townships (Breaslau/ North Dumfries) and merge it with the new city and open it up for development, have the city Master plan these neighbourhoods. Consolidate the townships into 2 maybe 3, then have the new city (Waterloo or Grand River) provide essential services to said townships. That is what i hope happens. My guess is nothing happens and we will be talking about this issue for the next 100 years.
I dunno, I would prefer we don’t do yet more sprawl.

To say nothing of the lack of evidence that bigger amalgamated cities are more efficient in any way.

Also who would own GRT and garbage?
(09-15-2023, 01:46 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I dunno, I would prefer we don’t do yet more sprawl.

To say nothing of the lack of evidence that bigger amalgamated cities are more efficient in any way.

Also who would own GRT and garbage?

This is why we should gradually move services to the Region, with no particular goal of actual amalgamation. Start with the fire services and the libraries. There might be other services which could usefully be shifted to the Region. Over time, I anticipate the cities and townships becoming less important, and at some point they might fade away entirely, but we don’t need to do it all at once, and it definitely won’t be more efficient to amalgamate everything all at once.
If we ever amalgamate we better just become Kitchener. No way I'm saying I'm from Waterloo!

Berlin would be cool too.
(09-15-2023, 02:04 PM)ac3r Wrote: If we ever amalgamate we better just become Kitchener. No way I'm saying I'm from Waterloo!

I'm all for the return to Berlin.

(09-15-2023, 02:04 PM)ac3r Wrote: If we ever amalgamate we better just become Kitchener. No way I'm saying I'm from Waterloo!

Waterloo is the most logical, istm.
Or we make everyone happy and just have KW or KWC.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »