Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ONE28 | 15 fl | U/C
(02-14-2021, 12:01 PM)danezei Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 11:33 AM)westwardloo Wrote: Horrible design, bulky, cheep looking cladding. Looks like they spent about half a day designing the parking garage. There is no way this looks better than k2.
I'm just hoping glass will play a nice role to make the condo look nice at least. Once you throw in some retail there, and make it all glass, there's hope the street will look nice. These guys are new developers, I'm assuming they would want to build up their reputation somehow
I don't know anything about this developer, but I would say with this building they have built up their reputation to build generic waterloo garbage architecture. Sorry to put it so blunt. But this is not a nice addition to the city. Density i love, but thats about all this one will be good for. It is a step up from one Columbia. You would think after a couple decades of building up in the city (waterloo) we would see a slight increase in quality, but it seems we are stuck with local developers that are determined to build the cheapest building possible from design to materials.

(02-14-2021, 06:32 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 12:01 PM)danezei Wrote: I'm just hoping glass will play a nice role to make the condo look nice at least. Once you throw in some retail there, and make it all glass, there's hope the street will look nice. These guys are new developers, I'm assuming they would want to build up their reputation somehow
I don't know anything about this developer, but I would say with this building they have built up their reputation to build generic waterloo garbage architecture. Sorry to put it so blunt. But this is not a nice addition to the city. Density i love, but thats about all this one will be good for. It is a step up from one Columbia. You would think after a couple decades of building up in the city (waterloo) we would see a slight increase in quality, but it seems we are stuck with local developers that are determined to build the cheapest building possible from design to materials.
Apparently there is a pre-construction happening on Bridgeport and King, with massive retail section at the bottom, like two floors. The design looks nice, but who knows at this point. Across from One28 looks like they're going to tare down some houses as well. At this point I think it's all about the new retail spots that will keep the value up in Waterloo.
Hey guys, how's One28 looking now? Probably the glass is put in by now, looks more fancy or still looks like a cheap condo?
It looks cheap.

thanks for sending!
The crane here was brought down yesterday.

Damn that's an ugly building. Waterloo is just trying to be the worst at everything they can, aren't they?
That podium reminds me of something ... a condo building in downtown Kitchener ...
I can't figure out what the colours on the concrete panels are supposed to be. Was the architect was high on ketamine or something? The entire thing looks like trash. Waterloo council/NIMBYs will cancel truly progressive urban plans like the big development on Westmount, but then let this sort of crap get built all over the city...
I'm always wondering what each 5-10 year era of architecture is going to claim as its "thing" that everyone looks back on and hates. Without a doubt this look of pre-fab clearance bin "design" with a bunch of uninspired colours is going to be it. It's an epidemic in KW.
It's not even the fact it's pre-fab to me. German and Austrian cities are full of this stuff that dates back to the 60s and 70s, but it somehow works there. But here...? I don't know why, but it indeed looks truly terrible. The only reason I can think of is that it's a result of developers choosing the cheapest possible architectural materials they can just to get something built and make money. The longevity or architectural features of these buildings don't matter to them, they just want to make money. It's a pity and this city will regret it. Edit: also, the design sucks. Not sure wtf is going on with the random black/white/grey panels in this zig zag formation. The podium is awful too. If I was a millionaire I'd buy this and blow it up with TNT, along with a lot of other buildings we've got in ROW.
I saw this from the other side a couple days ago driving down Bridgeport. Couldn't get a good look because I was driving but I will say the dark blue glass popped in a good way. Probably the only good thing I could say about this.

(06-05-2021, 07:25 PM)ac3r Wrote: If I was a millionaire I'd buy this and blow it up with TNT, along with a lot of other buildings we've got in ROW.

Couldn’t you just re-clad it? Tongue
(06-05-2021, 11:45 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Couldn’t you just re-clad it?  Tongue

Yeah, but controlled demolitions are fun! This one is worthy of this treatment.

[Image: 1343733917690206096.gif]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »