Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
8 Queen | 3 fl | Complete
The highest side wall at the street frontage (2nd floor) was swaying like a tree, dropping bricks as I passed. I don't know how many dropped, but that the wall could sway like a tree (probably 10-30cm regular oscillations from gusts) is disconcerting either way.

New windows now installed.  Hmmmm.

Attached Files Image(s)

They started installing the stonework at the base of the new façade today.
I had been thinking that the restaurant/pub that is supposed to be part of this project would be at the front of the building, but I'm told that in fact a new entrance is to be built at the back such that folks will walk down Goudies Lane to get to it. I think a patio out back is planned as well. I think that is a nifty idea - for a number of reasons, I find the patios on King St less than ideal and there are any number of nooks and crannies Downtown beside or behind buildings that would make for excellent al fresco dining/drinking. In the meantime, the patio at the Boathouse is going to remain my summer go-to patio!
The brick cladding was going up on the front façade today. At a glance, it looked very, very dark brown or possibly black. Not what I would have chosen, but what do I know?
Vidyard (or rather the... CEO? I guess?) posted a video showing off the inside of the space today. My god, am I jealous. Worth a watch!

https://www.facebook.com/mrlitt/videos/v...=2&theater

Seems like there will be a "mystery public use vendor" on the first floor, off of Goudies Lane. And a Mural going up on the Ontario St facing wall. Also a rooftop patio! Will be nice to see more greenery on roofs downtown Smile
Nice! Interesting that he uses the term "vendor" (changes it later). I've been taking as a given that the space would be food/drink/maybe music related rather than retail.

Does he really say "yous" to the two departing colleagues at about 3:55? True Kitchener boy!

Looking very nice with the fences gone!

[Image: 8DPCiXk.png]

[Image: K5u97mA.png]
(05-27-2016, 06:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Nice!  Interesting that he uses the term "vendor" (changes it later).  I've been taking as a given that the space would be food/drink/maybe music related rather than retail.

Does he really say "yous" to the two departing colleagues at about 3:55?  True Kitchener boy!

"Yous" or "Youse" guys were good listeners ... painful to my ears to hear that
This a great example of where the finished product looks better than the initial drawings!
(05-29-2016, 12:52 AM)MacBerry Wrote:
(05-27-2016, 06:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Nice!  Interesting that he uses the term "vendor" (changes it later).  I've been taking as a given that the space would be food/drink/maybe music related rather than retail.

Does he really say "yous" to the two departing colleagues at about 3:55?  True Kitchener boy!

"Yous" or "Youse" guys were good listeners ... painful to my ears to hear that

(05-29-2016, 07:52 AM)LesPio Wrote: This a great example of where the finished product looks better than the initial drawings!

I'm not thrilled with the colour of the brick, although it goes well with the new glass front.  I really like the details in in the brickwork, however, and the manufactured limestone bits are terrific.  I'll be interested to see if they can make Goudies Lane more inviting with the lighting on that side of the building and whatever other decorative details they have planned.
(05-29-2016, 08:33 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm not thrilled with the colour of the brick, although it goes well with the new glass front. 

Much better than the brown/red brick that is ever so common in the region. Think of the Market Square hue, or the building next to this one in the pictures. When it comes to brick it should generally be pure red (bright or dark, but red)  or the right hue of yellow.

This building looks better in real life for two reasons: the new brick color matches the glass better and the original render had a too short/stunted height glass extension. Just a few more feet in height restore the balance in height/width ratio  (square buildings look "fat").
It would look even better with a couple of more stories add on. Smile

(05-29-2016, 11:27 AM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(05-29-2016, 08:33 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm not thrilled with the colour of the brick, although it goes well with the new glass front. 

Much better than the brown/red brick that is ever so common in the region. Think of the Market Square hue, or the building next to this one in the pictures. When it comes to brick it should generally be pure red (bright or dark, but red)  or the right hue of yellow.

This building looks better in real life for two reasons: the new brick color matches the glass better and the original render had a too short/stunted height glass extension. Just a few more feet in height restore the balance in height/width ratio  (square buildings look "fat").

I'd agree wrt to the brown brick of Market Square, and Bank of Montreal if that's the "next to" building you mean.  I quite like the brickwork of the Conservatory builidng and that is what I would have liked to see on 8 Queen (i.e. closer to the original Goudies bricks).  I remember thinking back in the seventies that Downtown was at risk of drowning in brown brick.  At the moment, black/slate grey seems to be the popular colour but I hope they don't overdue it.  The new brickwork at KCI is an example of "good brown" brickwork.

Speaking of the Bank of Montreal building, it is the one I would put ahead of even Market Square as needing exterior renovation and a complete recladding.  It is truly awful!
I think brown is OK, too -- my preference is to see some variation in colour.  So the dark brick here is good, as long as it doesn't become predominant, which for the moment doesn't seem to be a risk.

Colour is good!

[Image: 0O6A3864-copy-650x433.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »