Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Yellow Brick Buildings
Old Yellow Brick Buildings

[Image: y9vln3FM.jpg]

The discussion on salvaging the bricks from the demolition of the Mayfair Hotel inspired me to start this thread. From what I understand, old yellow brick is quite distinctive to southwestern Ontario, especially in old industrial buildings in Kitchener Waterloo.

I came across a new house in London a couple weeks ago with yellow brick almost identical to that used in heritage buildings. I'm assuming the brick is a replica, but nonetheless, the manufacturer has done a great job mimicking true heritage yellow brick. I would love to know who the supplier is.

[Image: VQ5D3xdd.jpg]
The facade of the Royal Hotel in Galt was restored with new yellow brick. You can tell it apart from the original, but it's the thought that counts.
Some local examples:

[Image: 17822619532_c556ca5fab.jpg]Mayfair Nest by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 16880688244_6a7a675d5a.jpg]Row Houses by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 17382357591_83309e52e9.jpg]Golden Hour at The Tannery by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 17305872872_68e4f29d31.jpg]Electrohome Plant 4 by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 16531180694_a6bacf4b05.jpg]Seagram Distillery by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 16427779484_60b25c31d6.jpg]Tannery at Joseph and Francis by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 16840464087_2deb7927e4.jpg]Martin Luther Evangelical Church by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 16489456117_1e785b7d7b.jpg]Seagram's Sunset by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 15901743424_66cb2cc07c.jpg]Old Victoria Street by Matt, on Flickr

[Image: 15404149011_3b23f6eb32.jpg]Goudies by Matt, on Flickr
I think I read somewhere once that yellow (buff) brick gets its colour because of lime in the clay. It seems to have largely disappeared in modern local construction.
Are many bricks being made locally nowadays? I only know of Arriscraft, and I think they specialize in stone.

You'll find no shortage of yellow brick homes in Cambridge.
Quote:The yellow-hued brick for example is a hallmark of this region that creates a sense of place like no other part of Ontario. The yellow-coloured brick comes from calcium rich clay mixed with limestone from the Niagara escarpment.

Masonryworx

Not exactly local, but apparently have a presence here.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »