Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
(03-22-2024, 01:46 PM)westwardloo Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 09:30 AM)SF22 Wrote: We could expand the existing Downtown Community Centre with more facilities, if we ripped out its existing surface parking at Ontario/Duke. The Duke St parking garage is literally across the street, or they could build an underground lot like the one under City Hall, if really deemed necessary. A rough estimate on Google Maps says there's about 3300 square metres of surface lot; you could do something decent with that, and create a street-front entrance to Duke that catches your attention. Right now, the DCC feels so hidden and is weirdly unsigned, for a community space.
I do agree that the City could transform the site into something with a little more street presents. Correct me if I am wrong, but the current DCC was part of St. Mary's Highschool at one point?  Does the city even own the site or do they lease it from the church?

I don't know for sure, but it looks like the building use is split between the DCC and the Catholic School Board. There's still signage on the Weber St side for the Waterloo Region Catholic Education Centre. You might be right, that it's not actually city property.

(03-22-2024, 02:50 PM)SF22 Wrote:
(03-22-2024, 01:46 PM)westwardloo Wrote: I do agree that the City could transform the site into something with a little more street presents. Correct me if I am wrong, but the current DCC was part of St. Mary's Highschool at one point?  Does the city even own the site or do they lease it from the church?

I don't know for sure, but it looks like the building use is split between the DCC and the Catholic School Board. There's still signage on the Weber St side for the Waterloo Region Catholic Education Centre. You might be right, that it's not actually city property.

It is not city property. You can see for yourself if you check the city's open GIS site, which shows property ownership.
Activa's development on Erinbrook opposite Rittenhouse is now named (very originally) 'Erin Brook', and described as '2-over-2 stacked condo towns'.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »