Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Maps and satellite imagery of KW
Now Waterloo is in 3d on Google Earth... looks amazing!

[Image: rNM6D7l.png]

(11-18-2015, 02:46 PM)insider Wrote: Now Waterloo is in 3d on Google Earth... looks amazing!

That is some kind of black magic. Even my house and garage are in 3D.
Big Grin 
I spent a lot of time looking at the 3D images of KW.  Fascinating.  But I noticed that Cambridge isn't in 3D.  Is someone trying to rile Mayor Doug Craig again?   Wink
(11-19-2015, 04:37 AM)zanate Wrote: That is some kind of black magic. Even my house and garage are in 3D.
And in much higher resolution than the previous satellite photos.
(11-19-2015, 09:05 AM)jgsz Wrote: I spent a lot of time looking at the 3D images of KW.  Fascinating.  But I noticed that Cambridge isn't in 3D.  Is someone trying to rile Mayor Doug Craig again?   Wink

Google is not very kind to Cambridge, I've noticed - much of the 2D imagery, even, is 5 years or more out of date...
Try 10.

Wink
(11-19-2015, 09:05 AM)jgsz Wrote: Is someone trying to rile Mayor Doug Craig again?   Wink

While I welcome the thought, my guess is that Google measures the rate of change and uses this to re-order drive- and fly-bys for new imagery. KW with so much construction lately gets updated more often while slower moving Cambridge has longer increments.

Jeez, I'm trying to do some editing on google mapmaker, and it's sure frustrating recently.
I can't predict what edits are going to require google or regional lead moderation anymore. Some publish immediately, some don't. Once an edit needs moderation, very few of them ever get reviewed. I've got a stack of edits going back to September that are all hanging around, going nowhere.

GtwoK, are you finding things to be the same?

I'd better compile my edits together and post them for review in the mapmaker community.
I am definitely finding things to be the same. Thankfully, if it goes to Google moderation, it will be approved withing a few hours. Unfortunately, there's no way to force it to Google moderation. I've had to follow the same collect-and-post-in-the-forum method most of the time now.

It doesn't help that some areas seemingly require review no matter the scale of the change. The former Charles St (what is now marked as the eastbound lanes) requires review for every single minor adjustment to attributes or position made along it. The new portion I created (westbound) is free for editing and immediate approval by anyone. It's difficult trying to publish Ion changes as they happen now.
Maybe with the new Google office opening up, some edits will happen faster?
There's clearly a problem with their process.

Ever since things were locked down after the Great Vandalism, it's Google's intent that it never happens again.

While it used to be that, after getting a certain number of edits reviewed and approved the old fashioned way, you became "trusted" to some degree, and could make similar types of edits with abandon.

Now, a large number of edits need approval by a "Regional Lead", a person who Google has nominated from the community and considers to be reasonably trustworthy. In our case, our "Region" is Canada, so there are a handful of RLs that are approving edits across the whole country. It is clearly going to be a very big job for volunteers. And to compound that, the mechanism that presents edits for approval to RLs appears to have a distinct bias toward newer edits. Meaning if you don't get approved in a short amount of time, you are not likely to get approved ever.

Google does have in-house reviewers, but I don't believe having a Google office will make an impact there. They appear to be fairly on top of edit reviews. When something needs Google moderation, it tends to be dealt with quite fast already.
(01-18-2016, 01:59 PM)Markster Wrote: Now, a large number of edits need approval by a "Regional Lead", a person who Google has nominated from the community and considers to be reasonably trustworthy. In our case, our "Region" is Canada, so there are a handful of RLs that are approving edits across the whole country.  It is clearly going to be a very big job for volunteers. And to compound that, the mechanism that presents edits for approval to RLs appears to have a distinct bias toward newer edits.  Meaning if you don't get approved in a short amount of time, you are not likely to get approved ever.

Google does have in-house reviewers, but I don't believe having a Google office will make an impact there. They appear to be fairly on top of edit reviews.  When something needs Google moderation, it tends to be dealt with quite fast already.

I don't know how these things work within Google, but having a bigger Google office could make a difference in the sense that a person who knows about Canada's lack of Regional Leads and also knows who to talk to about that could get stuff happening.
They should push the little sort direction button on the edits so that the queue is properly set up, so older edits get priority. Smile Then just work through the queue.

(01-18-2016, 01:59 PM)Markster Wrote: Now, a large number of edits need approval by a "Regional Lead", a person who Google has nominated from the community and considers to be reasonably trustworthy. In our case, our "Region" is Canada, so there are a handful of RLs that are approving edits across the whole country.  It is clearly going to be a very big job for volunteers. And to compound that, the mechanism that presents edits for approval to RLs appears to have a distinct bias toward newer edits.  Meaning if you don't get approved in a short amount of time, you are not likely to get approved ever.

I got pointed at the application for Regional leads: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16-IxIpK...s/viewform.
That really should be a paid position. There are too many people willing to work for free, sadly.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »