Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambridge Mill Hotel | 38 & 24 fl | Proposed
As a Cambridge resident who frequents Downtown Galt often, this development would be a welcome addition to the area. This development will help our downtown improve and encourage more local businesses to open up shop. Galt does use the Grand to its advantage and this development showcases that. 

I do think the height is a bit ambitious though considering the current infrastructure in place. Perhaps it could be scaled down a bit? I could definitely see more developments of this magnitude popping up in the future when the ION arrives to town.

Why scale it down? In your opinion, what does building height have to do with infrastructure? There are traffic studies available on a link I provided that demonstrate it won't cause any issues. There will be rapid transit running through all of Cambridge soon and the bus service is more than sufficient already as well.
(06-01-2021, 03:34 PM)ac3r Wrote: Why scale it down? In your opinion, what does building height have to do with infrastructure? There are traffic studies available on a link I provided that demonstrate it won't cause any issues. There will be rapid transit running through all of Cambridge soon and the bus service is more than sufficient already as well.

Building height and density are often dependent on how transit supportive the site is. Downtown Kitchener has the transit infrastructure (ION, GO, VIA) in place to support developments of this magnitude and Cambridge will soon too once GO service to Guelph & the ION arrive. I guess it's just tough for me to picture a development of this scale in that location for the time being.
(06-01-2021, 11:40 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(06-01-2021, 11:30 AM)tomh009 Wrote: It's still 12 floors?
https://www.cambridgemillhotelandresidences.ca

No, 24 and 33 floor towers have been planned. Heights are to be 112 and 143 meters. You could probably update the thread title.

The 24 floor building will be a hotel, the 33 floor building will contain condos. No general retail is planned for this, apart from what the hotel may offer.

It does say 20,000SF of retail though.

Either way, this is really impressive. It for sure has that 'wow' factor. Good for Cambridge for potentially getting something really incredible.
(06-01-2021, 03:42 PM)adjlar Wrote: Building height and density are often dependent on how transit supportive the site is. Downtown Kitchener has the transit infrastructure (ION, GO, VIA) in place to support developments of this magnitude and Cambridge will soon too once GO service to Guelph & the ION arrive. I guess it's just tough for me to picture a development of this scale in that location for the time being.

I see. Well, the traffic studies are available a few posts previously. A project of this size will not stress the street or public transport infrastructure. This has been surprisingly one well researched project proposed - due to how professional the developer/architects are who are involved - so that has all been taken into consideration. I think the general public really underestimates how much research goes into projects like these. For example, if a building casts just 1 meter of shadow on Grandma Sue's window a little too long, they think about how to change that, since the goal isn't to annoy neighbours, it's to build something. Likewise, all the traffic studies have shown that there should not be any problems with this and that shadow casting would be very short etc.

Cambridge Times reached out to the community recently about it and most of the public seemed to be okay with things. They were unsure of how well very tall buildings would look next to the Grand River (spoiler, really damn good lol), and most responses seemed to be YIMBYs: yes it's quite a change, but a good one, so build it.
How does 150 hotel suites compare with other hotels in the area? I could see this hotel capturing lots of the hotel convention crowd (if we ever do in person meetings again!).
If people in Cambridge are worried about traffic caused by projects like this, then maybe they should get the Region or the Province to do something about all of the truck traffic that roars through downtown. Most of the time that I have cycled down to Cambridge. it was on a weekend. One day I went during the week and it was horrifying.

(06-02-2021, 02:31 PM)Acitta Wrote: If people in Cambridge are worried about traffic caused by projects like this, then maybe they should get the Region or the Province to do something about all of the truck traffic that roars through downtown. Most of the time that I have cycled down to Cambridge. it was on a weekend. One day I went during the week and it was horrifying.

I agree, it makes the area unpleasant to walk at times. Hopefully when the South Boundary Road opens up later this year, a majority of truck traffic will be directed to use it and Franklin Blvd instead.
Cambridge needs to tread carefully about when and where they build large buildings due to the incredible amount of heritage they have downtown. This however is perfect and I hope to see it go as is.
(06-02-2021, 02:39 PM)adjlar Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 02:31 PM)Acitta Wrote: If people in Cambridge are worried about traffic caused by projects like this, then maybe they should get the Region or the Province to do something about all of the truck traffic that roars through downtown. Most of the time that I have cycled down to Cambridge. it was on a weekend. One day I went during the week and it was horrifying.

I agree, it makes the area unpleasant to walk at times. Hopefully when the South Boundary Road opens up later this year, a majority of truck traffic will be directed to use it and Franklin Blvd instead.
I didn't know about that project. Apparently, phase 1 is scheduled to open in September. Google Maps satellite view and street view are very out of date for this.
(06-02-2021, 03:19 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 02:39 PM)adjlar Wrote: I agree, it makes the area unpleasant to walk at times. Hopefully when the South Boundary Road opens up later this year, a majority of truck traffic will be directed to use it and Franklin Blvd instead.
I didn't know about that project. Apparently, phase 1 is scheduled to open in September. Google Maps satellite view and street view are very out of date for this.
It is very close to finished. They are currently working on the highway 24 realignment which will feature a roundabout. Then I'd expect it to open
(06-01-2021, 03:42 PM)adjlar Wrote: and Cambridge will soon too once GO service to Guelph & the ION arrive

Don't hold your breath on GO trains from Cambridge to Guelph. There are no plans to provide that service at this time.
(06-01-2021, 01:29 PM)Bytor Wrote: Can they build them closer together so we can have a "sky pool", too? ;-)

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1399678383727034369

Amazing.... I'd hate to think how much insurance costs on that...

Coke

You would not find me swimming in that pool, no way!
I wonder if the plan is to move their wedding facilities away from the restaurant to the new space? Or just to have MORE of them
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »