Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trinity United Church (21 Arthur Street North & 4 Cross Street) | 5 fl | Proposed
Trinity United Church (not Trinity United Chapel that became infamous during the pandemic) is proposing a mixed use development at 21 Arthur Street North & 4 Cross Street in Elmira with architectural work by studio CANOO (Instagram).

The church seeks to redevelop its property at this site by demolishing the existing church building and a single family dwelling (used for a clergy house) to build a 5 floor mixed use development. The first floor will contain the church and an office, meeting and kitchen space as well as one residential unit. The upper floors will contain residential units. A total of 40 residential units would be included: 25 one bedroom units and 15 two bedroom units. The rooftop would contain amenity space for the church and building residents with both indoor and outdoor features. 57 parking spaces are proposed.

[It is currently going through a council vote and is expected to be approved.]

[Image: WZw44i0.png]

[Image: ui48vZM.png]

This is a great idea and I hope more churches consider this, especially as buildings age and congregation sizes dwindle.
This is a great project. I would have liked the Region to include minimum density requirement in some of the larger towns within the townships. Midrise projects scattered around downtown elmira, might breath life back into the downtown. Unfortunately the head Woolwich planner seem content to expand the suburban strip mall at the south end of town with as many chains as possible, all while completely ignoring what could be a quant established core.
(02-01-2023, 11:49 PM)timio Wrote: This is a great idea and I hope more churches consider this, especially as buildings age and congregation sizes dwindle.

There's a national group that is well along that journey.  Meet Kindred Works. Among other goals, they hope to build 34,000 rental units nationally in 15 years.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »