Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preston Springs Hotel Redevelopment
(12-28-2020, 06:21 PM)urbd Wrote: Another day, another intentional neglect in the Region. Very convenient "sad loss" to make space for redevelopment land (in this case right next to a future ION station) - the Region has always been very clear that ION's first priority is to attract redevelopment along the line and being an attractive transportation option for the community second. At least I wish the owners/developers were direct about the intentions in the first place... this trick is getting old and rotten.
I don't think it is right to call this intentional neglect. As far as I can recall from past news reports, the current owners fully intended to redevelop the current building but were unable to interest any developers. I think that the previous owners also tried. The building was probably too big and too old in its design to be amenable to be renovated for a modern use in any way that is financially viable.

I'm not sure this is even an ideal lot to redevelop - it's literally on top of a busy intersection, and quite narrowly constrained by the hill behind. (I also wouldn't call it 'right next' to Preston Ion - that's on the other side of the river, a nearly 10-minute walk.)
(12-28-2020, 08:10 PM)KevinL Wrote: I'm not sure this is even an ideal lot to redevelop - it's literally on top of a busy intersection, and quite narrowly constrained by the hill behind. (I also wouldn't call it 'right next' to Preston Ion - that's on the other side of the river, a nearly 10-minute walk.)
I am sure that it would be much easier if it was an empty lot.
(12-28-2020, 06:21 PM)urbd Wrote: Another day, another intentional neglect in the Region. Very convenient "sad loss" to make space for redevelopment land (in this case right next to a future ION station) - the Region has always been very clear that ION's first priority is to attract redevelopment along the line and being an attractive transportation option for the community second. At least I wish the owners/developers were direct about the intentions in the first place... this trick is getting old and rotten.

There was no grand conspiracy to let it fall apart so it could be developed, it just unfortunately never got any attention because it was already in a bad state and the costs to repair everything (not just the building, but the land it's on to improve drainage etc) would have been in the tens of millions. They spent years trying to find someone willing to invest in saving this but nobody wanted to due to the costs. But there was nobody sitting there scheming and waiting for the day it fell over so they could make a condo there, it was really all about the money.

It's a weird, small plot of land that would be really challenging to redevelop anyway, even without the building in the way...
(12-25-2020, 09:36 PM)GarthDanlor Wrote: The point is that the Preston Springs and these other buildings were allowed to get this state.  "Demolition by intentional neglect" as stated above.  I had no particular love for Barra Castle that's for certain but  Forsyth, Preston Springs & Electrohome all could have been  successfully renovated and/or incorporated into new developments if they hadn't been allowed to decay.  On the other hand, I was sad too see the loss of the old Mayfair (at least the first few stories anyway) but have been won over by it's replacement.  Time will tell if the replacements for Preston Springs and Electrohome are as successful.

The issue is always the same: these places don't have enough interest for a developer to come in and spend millions to make that building useful again. The cities and/or region don't have the money, nor the will, nor the support of taxpayers, to do it themselves.

Many places have been saved, and it likely has to do with the condition they were in prior to any conversation, as well as their potential. Arrow Shirt, Kaufmann, Seagrams, Goudies, the Tannery, are some of the places that come to mind that got a second life.
(12-28-2020, 02:01 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Does the city have the right to take over a building's structural restoration? And charge it back to the owner?

I would think not. But would you want the city to take over a building, pay $20M to fix it structurally, and charge the owner, who'll not pay. That building then is owned by the city, who'll sell it to the highest bidder, and lose millions, only to see the new owner neglect it as well, as it is too expensive to convert into something more useful.
Heritage group files court injunction to stop Preston Springs Hotel demolition

Work begins to prepare former Preston Springs hotel for demolition

Heritage advocates vow to fight Preston Springs Hotel demolition order

(12-29-2020, 03:14 PM)jeffster Wrote: Many places have been saved, and it likely has to do with the condition they were in prior to any conversation, as well as their potential. Arrow Shirt, Kaufmann, Seagrams, Goudies, the Tannery, are some of the places that come to mind that got a second life.

You can find photos online of Arrow pre-conversion. It was in pretty rough shape, to be sure. But the key is that it was structurally sound: those giant concrete columns were still solid, so the developer had a base on which to create the new project.

But if the structure itself is falling apart (Electrohome, Mayfair, Preston Springs), it's far more difficult to save anything of the building.
(12-29-2020, 04:34 PM)Acitta Wrote: Heritage advocates vow to fight Preston Springs Hotel demolition order

They better start emptying their wallets. I don't know where these people think the money would come from to save this thing...certainly not the region/city's coffers.
The Aberdeen Pavilion at Lansdowne Park in Ottawa was condemned and heritage advocates fought to save it successful, so it is theoretically possible to still save it. I'm not personally all that optimistic, though.
(12-29-2020, 05:40 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 04:34 PM)Acitta Wrote: Heritage advocates vow to fight Preston Springs Hotel demolition order

They better start emptying their wallets. I don't know where these people think the money would come from to save this thing...certainly not the region/city's coffers.

So, they have a concept:

Quote:"But on the one side could be a seniors' residence and it could have independent living, assisted living, and respite," said Scott-Booth. "And on the other side, we're wanting to propose a mental health wellness centre where it could provide all sorts of resources and programs for our community and for the region."

She said the original hotel could then be a go-between that could be used by both, restore the springs and adding space for a gym, art therapy, music therapy, yoga, etc. She said the upper three floors could be turned into condos.

"So, you would buy a condominium and your parking would be behind Fountain Street," Scott-Booth said. "And then all the buildings, the seniors' centre and the wellness centre would be able to utilize the resources in the hotel and then it would also be for the residents who live in the hotel as well."

Do they have a developer that wants to do it, to buy the property from the current owner, repair the imminent structural issues, and then start this multi-modal project? Because, if not, then it's just a pipe dream.
(12-29-2020, 05:50 PM)jamincan Wrote: The Aberdeen Pavilion at Lansdowne Park in Ottawa was condemned and heritage advocates fought to save it successful, so it is theoretically possible to still save it. I'm not personally all that optimistic, though.

Aberdeen Pavilion was owned by the City of Ottawa, and was a publicly used facility until it fell into disrepair. Really the issue with that place wasn’t structural damage, but rather the cost to restore it to its former glory. The taxpayers in Ottawa fought to keep that building from the wrecking ball, and it worked.

This place in Preston, though, has never publicly owned. And the main issue is that it is structurally in poor shape, and likely in need of a lot of shoring. So unless taxpayers in Cambridge want to restore it, I can’t see this building being saved. And for those that are fighting to save it, put your money where you mouth is. Mortgage out your property, use your savings, and buy the building and repair it.
CTV: Crews prepare for demolition of Preston Springs Hotel

The injunction request seems like just going through the motions. The court is not going to stop the demolition.
The intersection has been closed for unspecified demo work.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »