Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Sports and Recreation News
That is really a shame.

$93 million dollar aquatics facility has majority support to go ahead, with formal approval coming in an updated meeting: https://www.therecord.com/news/council/2...-park.html
With the attached field house! Good to see that, I don't think Kitchener has one yet.
Waterloo city council approved the expansion plan for Alexandra Park on June 13. Hopefully they'll start construction soon.
Construction fencing is up at Alexandra Park.
I haven't found anyone mentioning this yet but McLennan Park is getting a large gas collection system upgrade. The entire road in the park from Ottawa to the central parking lot is closed and the trail connecting Strasburg to the park along the hydro corridor is also closed. Late last year and early this year they removed all of the trees and vegetation in those areas to facilitate the system upgrade. Currently they have a crawler crane and a few excavtors on site.
The Schneider family is seeking to donate 3 large properties of around around 230 acres in total to rare Charitable Research Reserve and have sought out a zone change to allow them to be rezoned from being designated Rural to Conservation. On May 29th the City of Cambridge held a public meeting, so we'll have to wait and see whether they approve it. Public input was mostly positive, though with some concerns about the usual: parking, traffic etc because that's the Region of Waterloo brand. But I suspect they'll grant approval and rezone it as Conservation land.

(05-31-2023, 07:24 PM)ac3r Wrote: The Schneider family is seeking to donate 3 large properties of around around 230 acres in total to rare Charitable Research Reserve and have sought out a zone change to allow them to be rezoned from being designated Rural to Conservation. On May 29th the City of Cambridge held a public meeting, so we'll have to wait and see whether they approve it. Public input was mostly positive, though with some concerns about the usual: parking, traffic etc because that's the Region of Waterloo brand. But I suspect they'll grant approval and rezone it as Conservation land.

How can there be parking and traffic concerns about zoning something Conservation? I know snails are slow, but they usually just live with it rather than hopping in a car to get places faster…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiKwnlyhKrk
(05-31-2023, 07:24 PM)ac3r Wrote: The Schneider family is seeking to donate 3 large properties of around around 230 acres in total to rare Charitable Research Reserve and have sought out a zone change to allow them to be rezoned from being designated Rural to Conservation. On May 29th the City of Cambridge held a public meeting, so we'll have to wait and see whether they approve it. Public input was mostly positive, though with some concerns about the usual: parking, traffic etc because that's the Region of Waterloo brand. But I suspect they'll grant approval and rezone it as Conservation land.

Is there any way for the public to know what lands the family currently holds? I would love to see new conservation areas added to the city - I just biked through the Stanley Park GRCA path last night for the first time, and it was such a pleasant ride through the trees, and had a fair number of runners and cyclists using it. 100% would support!
Grand River Rocks and Go Bananas confirmed to be moving to the old LA Fitness building on Victoria, sometime in 2024: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs9MEKzgjPe/...Y2I4NDBkZg==
(06-02-2023, 09:52 AM)SF22 Wrote: Grand River Rocks and Go Bananas confirmed to be moving to the old LA Fitness building on Victoria, sometime in 2024: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cs9MEKzgjPe/...Y2I4NDBkZg==
Not a huge surprise there. Glad they found a home closish to downtown. I guess this means those faded signs will finally come down.
The new Alexandra Park opened up today. It's really nicely done with a great playground.
The City of Waterloo will help contribute financially to weather proof the Laurier stadium for winter use: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...bddc0.html

Splitsville is opening a new 43,000 sq.ft. bowling and entertainment facility in Waterloo on Marsland Drive in the former Pearl/Revolution & Flying Dog nightclub in the spring of 2024.       (Picture is Burlington location.)
It's not gaming if there's no RGB!

If they added some poles on those tables they could do some adult only bowling nights.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »