Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Sports and Recreation News
The Waterloo Running Series started off the season with the Re-Fridgee-Eighter 8K and 8 mile races. Couldn't have asked for better weather, and the sun even emerged from the clouds to warm us up.

(02-21-2016, 05:46 PM)jamincan Wrote: The Waterloo Running Series started off the season with the Re-Fridgee-Eighter 8K and 8 mile races. Couldn't have asked for better weather, and the sun even emerged from the clouds to warm us up.

My partner ran it yesterday, had a great time. I went for a bike ride to Elora and back, such an early start to the cycling season this year... saw at least 3 or 4 other serious roadies out there and a lot of folks out running and riding around town.
I was sorely tempted to take out my bike on Saturday, but it's presently sitting on my trainer and is still nice and clean. With all the work involved switching out my trainer tire and then washing the bike afterward, I decided the run on Sunday would have to suffice.

The ride out to Elora is beautiful; what were the road conditions like? I'm pretty paranoid about flats early in the season due to all the crap on the roads.
The roads were beautiful, there wasn't anything but some sandy gravel on the paved shoulders that gave me a pause for concern. Middlebrook road seems to be in even worse shape than it was last fall but I guess it's like our local equivalent to cobblestones now. I have an old hybrid that I made into a winter roadie so dirt and salt aren't a worry for me; my nice road bike is leaning beside my rollers.
I think the worst I've been on was a group ride on 67 Line between Milverton and Millbank (or 11 between Millbank and Crosshill?). The entire length of the road was a jarring rough ride and half the time was spent signalling the hazards for the riders behind me. Sideroad 15 and Concession 5 behind Conestogo Lake are pretty bad too, but with a lot less traffic.

I'm a one bike person myself until I can afford to sink some money into a TT bike.
It's been a long while since I've gone out west of town, I do like riding through Glen Allan south of Conestogo Lake on the way to Listowel.
I've seen media reports about the Region and Guelph bidding to host the 2021 Canada Summer Games. Does anyone know if this might include new sports facilities in K-W?

New permeable parking lot at Huron Natural Area receives federal funds.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitch...-1.3549125
Yes! This lot is much needed; parking often overflows onto the road. This is a great "hidden gem" park, we really like going here.
(04-23-2016, 03:48 PM)Canard Wrote: Yes!  This lot is much needed; parking often overflows onto the road.  This is a great "hidden gem" park, we really like going here.

My three year old grand-nephew's favourite hiking, turtle-spotting, and insect-hunting destination!
Was there yesterday with the dogs, was amazing!

Attached Files Image(s)

It looks like there is a nice 5 km loop in the park there that I've been planning on running one of these days.
(04-21-2016, 09:59 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I've seen media reports about the Region and Guelph bidding to host the 2021 Canada Summer Games.  Does anyone know if this might include new sports facilities in K-W?

I spy with my little eye:

A huge new athletic all in athletic facility being built in Cambridge on the south side of the 401 across from Conestoga College 

Tongue

(04-24-2016, 10:12 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 09:59 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I've seen media reports about the Region and Guelph bidding to host the 2021 Canada Summer Games.  Does anyone know if this might include new sports facilities in K-W?

I spy with my little eye:

A huge new athletic all in athletic facility being built in Cambridge on the south side of the 401 across from Conestoga College 

Tongue

I haven't had the impression that the Multiplex project takes Summer Games needs into account, but I really don't know.
(04-24-2016, 10:31 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-24-2016, 10:12 PM)MacBerry Wrote: I spy with my little eye:

Tongue

I haven't had the impression that the Multiplex project takes Summer Games needs into account, but I really don't know.

Free land and partnerships with Conestoga College will mean the new Cambridge multiplex facility will go ahead as planned ... IMHO.

My point was that the new Cambridge site will be up and functioning before 2021. I do believe it will be the only 50 M accredited pool in the Region. Laurier's 50 meter pool is too narrow to qualify as a FINA facility.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »