Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Sports and Recreation News
For those who are disabled, mobility impaired, or otherwise poorly served by other transportation options, parking is an important factor.

(06-08-2018, 05:19 PM)nms Wrote: For those who are disabled, mobility impaired, or otherwise poorly served by other transportation options, parking is an important factor.

Indeed yes, and the fact that there is on-site parking should be clear in the information about the locations. All I mean is that the services provided by the locations are the reasons people are going there, not the parking. The parking is in a different category along with whatever transit service is available and how well connected the location is to active transportation routes. Conceptually, there are two lists: what is available at the location, and information about how one can get to the location.

Being very picky about things is part of my job. Sometimes it comes out in other contexts.
Schlegel Urban Developments Corp is requesting a zoning change in their subdivision planned for the Fischer-Hallman/Plains/Huron area (page 163).

One of the proposals is for Privately Owned and Maintained Publicly Accessible (POMPA) Parks where the "park ownership and maintenance model for this subdivision where by parks may be retained in private ownership, maintained jointly by property owners through condominium corporations, and which would remain fully publicly accessible..."

I'm not sure what I think about this concept yet, but I can't put my finger on why just yet.

I guess statements like this make it feel as though we are going to start creating different classes of parks based on who can afford to live near them:
"They wish to create a series of enhanced parks and landscape features throughout the Becker Estates neighbourhood which will contain features that are beyond the capacity of City Operations to maintain in perpetuity."
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
My only concern is that the HOA or whatever the equivalent condominium board is that is charged with maintaining the property would also control the rules of use of the property and that they would be more restrictive than normal municipal parks. No walking on the grass, no playing frisbee, no loud noises; HOA/condominium boards don't have the greatest reputation for implementing even-handed and just rules.
I've seen this in a Montreal suburb near where my parent's live and after a few years they restricted access to the public to keep out 'undesirable' folk.
(06-09-2018, 03:41 PM)jamincan Wrote: My only concern is that the HOA or whatever the equivalent condominium board is that is charged with maintaining the property would also control the rules of use of the property and that they would be more restrictive than normal municipal parks. No walking on the grass, no playing frisbee, no loud noises; HOA/condominium boards don't have the greatest reputation for implementing even-handed and just rules.

Not many HOA's would have the kind of resources that would enable them to enforce such rules on a permanent basis.  

My place in Ottawa overlooks such a private/public use park (landscaped traffic circle, really) and it has never been a problem.  In fact, a couple of benches were added a few years back by the HOA to enhance public use of the space.
54 acres of land on Fountain Street in Cambridge, between Linden/Limerick and the Grand, will become a soccer field complex.

There are a lot of "Privately Owned Public Spaces" in New York City, their development rules require it to some degree or another. They're problematic because people think of them as public spaces but they have different rules, and it affects people in the way Jamincan and JoeKW suggest.

https://leftwardthinking.com/anil-dash-o...-reaction/
Totally agree,

The city needs to fix it's operations department but the reality is that it would be extremely costly to taxpayers. I have heard from many developers that they would love to have certain parks or play areas and the City of Kitchener's operations depart shuts it down because it would take too much work to figure out how to maintain them.
(06-12-2018, 09:34 PM)KevinL Wrote: 54 acres of land on Fountain Street in Cambridge, between Linden/Limerick and the Grand, will become a soccer field complex.

It's a beautiful site, but I wonder how prone it is to flooding?
(06-13-2018, 07:46 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-12-2018, 09:34 PM)KevinL Wrote: 54 acres of land on Fountain Street in Cambridge, between Linden/Limerick and the Grand, will become a soccer field complex.

It's a beautiful site, but I wonder how prone it is to flooding?

Above average, I'm sure, but there are very few things you can build on such land. May as well use it for this.
What will be interesting is how they handle the flooding. Just a heavy rainfall is enough to close diamonds and soccer fields which aren't particularly flood prone, because water softens the soil such that if you run on it, you turn flat soil into a lumpy mess, which dries lumpy and becomes an injury hazard. If you're in a flood plain, you really have to be able to drain water in any flood event, have to ensure that there's enough ability for normal rainwater to move away quickly, and potentially contain the sporting activities of 12 fields worth of players.
(06-14-2018, 08:47 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: What will be interesting is how they handle the flooding. Just a heavy rainfall is enough to close diamonds and soccer fields which aren't particularly flood prone, because water softens the soil such that if you run on it, you turn flat soil into a lumpy mess, which dries lumpy and becomes an injury hazard. If you're in a flood plain, you really have to be able to drain water in any flood event, have to ensure that there's enough ability for normal rainwater to move away quickly, and potentially contain the sporting activities of 12 fields worth of players.

The "new holes" at Doon Valley Golf Course are built on the same flood plain and have no issues with drainage. Assuming the fields are constructed to the appropriate standards regarding drainage, they should be fine in all but the most extreme of cases.

I hadn't been to the Central/Albert corner of Waterloo Park in a while. It is looking quite nice. I think that is part of the old steel trellis from the Clay and Glass gallery that has been repurposed:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
The new 1km of additional trails at Huron Natural Area was opened today. https://twitter.com/gallowaykelly/status...1860749313
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »