Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
(03-31-2021, 08:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Wine Rack in DTK is no more. The sign is still up, but the interior has been stripped down. No sign on the door to indicate closing, though, neither permanent nor temporary.

Their unit has been listed for lease online for the past month, so it's definitely permanent. I thought maybe it was a negotiation tactic by the landlord, but I think this answers that.

The new business on Scott St seems exactly the kind of thing that one would like to see over in the east end.
The Walper Hotel will be affiiating with Hyatt in May, joining their 'Joie de Vivre' brand of independent hotels. https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...brand.html
(04-01-2021, 03:35 PM)KevinL Wrote: The Walper Hotel will be affiiating with Hyatt in May, joining their 'Joie de Vivre' brand of independent hotels. https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-...brand.html

I think this is good news for DTK and the Walper. A major brand like Hyatt wanting a presence in DTK is good news, and it should make the Walper a far more noticeable hotel for business travellers. At work when we've got people from out of town visiting (pre-Covid) the fact that the Walper isn't in the corporate booking system, and doesn't have an approved corporate rate, was always a pain. People often stayed outside DTK even though the office was in DTK, having a nice hotel from a major chain in DTK will fix that.
Surely the Crowne Plaza would qualify?
(04-01-2021, 05:45 PM)jamincan Wrote: Surely the Crowne Plaza would qualify?

It fails the "nice" part of my statement. I of course haven't stayed there personally, but reviews from coworkers have been consistently negative, even getting described as "feels like a university dorm". The Delta in uptown has been the alternative, though some deal with the hassle of booking at the Walper outside the corporate system.
(04-01-2021, 06:40 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 05:45 PM)jamincan Wrote: Surely the Crowne Plaza would qualify?

It fails the "nice" part of my statement. I of course haven't stayed there personally, but reviews from coworkers have been consistently negative, even getting described as "feels like a university dorm". The Delta in uptown has been the alternative, though some deal with the hassle of booking at the Walper outside the corporate system.

I stayed at the Walper when I was visiting KW before moving (2007), it was kind of old and tired back then. Probably better after the reno.

I think the Delta in Waterloo is probably the nicest hotel around, though it does require either a long-ish walk or an LRT ride to get to downtown Kitchener.

Haven't stayed at the Crowne Plaza, can't say.

(04-01-2021, 11:03 PM)plam Wrote: I think the Delta in Waterloo is probably the nicest hotel around,

Not since the Walper reno IMO. Walper is definitely the nicest hotel in the city now. I haven't stayed there, but having walked around the building they've done a fantastic job, and it gets rave reviews from people I know that have stayed there. That's why I'm happy it'll finally be a more convenient option.
(04-02-2021, 01:01 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 11:03 PM)plam Wrote: I think the Delta in Waterloo is probably the nicest hotel around,

Not since the Walper reno IMO. Walper is definitely the nicest hotel in the city now. I haven't stayed there, but having walked around the building they've done a fantastic job, and it gets rave reviews from people I know that have stayed there. That's why I'm happy it'll finally be a more convenient option.

Good to hear that. Will have to check it out sometime.
Ikea is bringing back a Kitchener storefront, it'll be in the former Pier 1 unit on Fairway. Unlike the departed Sportsworld location, this will be showroom-only, no order pickups. https://kitchener.citynews.ca/local-news...er-5257386
Hopefully that means that our delivery options will improve. When I was ordering some Ikea items at Christmas, they could not be delivered to the Region even though the total parcel size was no bigger than a microwave.

The article mentions a pickup location on 259 Gage Ave.
The former Zellers/Walmart at Stanley Park Mall is currently being demolished. Canadian Tire will be moving into a new build on the site.
(08-25-2022, 12:04 AM)razzie13 Wrote: The former Zellers/Walmart at Stanley Park Mall is currently being demolished. Canadian Tire will be moving into a new build on the site.

Is this the rumour, or is there actually official confirmation now?

Presumably the Canadian Tire would be closing on Victoria? This seems like a rather small location for a new Canadian Tire even if it is mildly larger than the Victoria location. I suppose they could locate the service centre to the rear.
First Capital Real Estate Investment Trust (OTC:FCXXF) Q2 2022 Earnings Conference Call July 28, 2022 2:00 PM ET

“Some of the notable new large space deals we completed this quarter include a 60,000 square foot Canadian Tire lease at Stanley Park in Kitchener. Canadian Tire will pay market rent with escalations through their term.”

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4528068...s-earnings
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »