Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
York Apartments
Back in the 1980's I cleaned the common areas of the York Apartments on Queen Street.

I believe it was built around 1912.  It is 7 stories and Kitchener's first apartment building.   A very solid built building.   Black and white tile floors in the hallways.   Cinder block walls. 

The elevator had a door that you opened.   A very old elevator, not sure if it was the original but it sure looked like it.    During a power failure somebody realized I was in the elevator.   The fire department got me out between floors.   

Attached Files Image(s)

I've always loved that building! 
It's a gorgeous building, built in 1928, I think. I have a hard time believing that it was Kitchener's first apartment building. What I remember reading is that it was Kitchener's first tall apartment building, with an elevator.
What are the units like inside?
I recall an article in the Record a few years back that made the units sound very nice. Apparently, however, the building has always had a problem with poor quality plaster so that the interior walls need a lot of repair and maintenance.
  • The 7-storey brick York Apartments was Kitchener's first apartment block, built in 1928 in the neo-Geogian style. The lower storey is elegantly fininished in stone and there is attractive front landscaping. In near original condition with minor roof fascia modifications. An excellent conservation of an historic building.
This is from Waterloo Region Generations website.   
They've been rebuilding the front yard this past week. They're adding in more permanent looking walkways to the left and right, to replace the simple "paving" stones currently used. (see lower right of the picture in the OP)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »